Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Didn't factor in wind chill and me sweating like niagara falls

I've walked home in shorts before but in 20 or so, not single digit and not factoring in windchill

Dr, also I'm not as "robust" as you?

*runs and hides in old firehouse Chinatown club*

In Korea, it ROUTINELY got down to single digit F (That would be around -12 Celsius) I would walk to club in shorts, my TT shirt, a light jacket, a thin windbreaker, a fleece cap and gloves, and wear the Nexy Rucksack.

People see me enter the club and freek out why I not wear pants. Simple, it is too inconvenient to take off all that snivel gear and put shoes on again and then go through that nutroll TWICE again !! The walk was only 5-10, it wasn't like my kneecaps were gunna freeze.

Sometimes, I would ride my bike, especially when it got MINUS 10 F (think MINUS 24C) and ride it to another club 15 minute bike ride away, of course without pants. No problem, I had WOLF HAIR on my legs, I always told unbelieving Koreans it was my "Noekdae-Teul" that kept legs warm. My neck and ears were covered, biking kept me warm. Only outside of thighs were out there, but you can train yourself to endure that if you go about it right.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tasmanian Devil Rambo Loop.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I can see an Admin using a high tech NSA proto-trash iphony model 123 covertly changing my Status to this from my recently updated Couch-Cough status...

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sum pie crust leftover with sum light sugar heavy cinnamon will help meez fell besser...
d1f0a0aa6c519bafd58d8a7feaa2c60b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Next Level coined that name on me way back.

You gotta ask Next Level what made him think of that one.

Although I was military for 30 years, I do not look much like Rambo or had his job... I think NL saw me going after it 120% on my look like I was killing the ball (but converting it to spin)... maybe I looked like a joker trying to kill ball with a huge hunting knife... maybe it looked like that... that I was killing the ball so sure just like Rambo was killing something with his big knife...

Hey Mr. Rambo looper (a.k.a. Der_Echte), did you use this rubber?
Because I heard it's US Special Forces:

DSC_0031_1024x680.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Hey Mr. Rambo looper (a.k.a. Der_Echte), did you use this rubber?
Because I heard it's US Special Forces:

Oh man, just noticed the korean words on the bottom right of the black paddle-box LOL.
Could it be? That Rambo Der_Echte used this Very paddle

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Korean on that package is "Yang-Jil Jay-Jak" ... aside from the technical meaning of each word, it basically says the bat is made to be used on both sides... short form "2 Sided Bat". (American English - 2x inverted)

I guess that is needed for marketing, as traditionally, a J-Pen or C-Pen is one sided use. (Even if modern ones can be used RPB for both sides use)

Never saw that brand in my 4 years in Korea... also saw ZERO sheets of Mark V used (and Koreans are gaga-crazy drooling loving Yasaka) and only ONE sheet of Sriver ever over there. So put that in perspective.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tasmanian Devil Rambo Loop.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I can see an Admin using a high tech NSA proto-trash iphony model 123 covertly changing my Status to this from my recently updated Couch-Cough status...

Damn-it, it happened already, likely BEFORE I even hit the send button on the post. Damn Carl and his Celtic Druid predictive algorithms...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The walk was only 5-10, it wasn't like my kneecaps were gunna freeze.

"5-10"

mins? klicks?

My PR, factoring in fatigue from TT and lugging my backpack, I made it home in 22 mins walking. At my worst, luckily it's only a 3 mins differential.

Props and Respect to you Der!! Wim Hof got nuthin' on ya!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I sanded the edges of my blade for more than an hour today after I got off the plane. Now the blade feels more comfortable in my hand. I also put on an edge tape so I don't have to worry so much of denting the blade, as I won't be able to see the dents anyway haha.

I played with my friend at night for 2 hours. Counter topspin feel quite comfortable now I didn't do much backspin looping with forehand today. I still haven't got the feel of 'counter-hitting' instead of looping. Feels like the carbonado does more work for me in counter-hitting, whereas with the timo alc, I need to put more effort in. Mostly likely, I haven't got used to it yet. I will probably use the robot at home for counter-hitting.

No injuries so far despite playing on the first day back without a good sleep. Small wins.

Will continue experimenting with my new blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hot damn hit great over lunch today with my training partner all primarily over 2 key fundamentals.

So for some time now I was wondering if I, at 38, simply am getting too old to play with or beat my younger 30 year old training partner because it felt like I always lose the close to the table exchanges. It felt like he was quicker than me.

Then I thought of something you hear good players preach. "Shorten your stroke". So today I focused on ready position between hits (learning forward, paddle out in front of me) and keeping my stroke short on those close to the table quick exchanges... It worked so well. I would say today I was winning the fast majority of quick exchanges with solid, short counter-hits.

It opened my eyes to that I have an elongated stroke on my FH naturally. That's great for power or off the table play but I often miss too many shots close to the table sending them long.

If you're hitting with someone who has decent power, I found you don't need to put a whole of pop going back to them to give them a ball that's plenty fast. Just a good solid counter-hit.

Looking forward to trying to keep this practice going so it's not just a one time deal. ;)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Spear is a great blade. What rubbers does she have on it?

When I had her try it out, the rubber we put on it was Victas V>1. But she is having Paul David put T05fx on both sides. She has been using Evolution FXP on her old blade. And I told her she might have more control with that. But she said: "I've never had Tenergy. So I am getting that to put on it."

I had her try the Spear and my Virtuoso to see which one she would want as a Christmas present. :)

Hopefully in 2018 I will be able to start playing more. So long since I have really played a few days in a week.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It opened my eyes to that I have an elongated stroke on my FH naturally. That's great for power or off the table play but I often miss too many shots close to the table sending them long.

It's a natural consequence of not getting early training in rotating the shoulders when powering a forehand. Regardless, anyone serious about their table tennis should spend extended time mastering close to the table play as you need it against the pips and deadball players.

The problem of course is that some players would rather run back from the table and play long rallies rather than lose points at the table. It's level dependent but at some point, giving up the table compulsively (or lacking the ability to at least play there when this is forced upon you) catches up with you. IT's not that hard to even topspin at the table, just keep a relatively low stance and shorten your strokes in response to the ball speed.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hot damn hit great over lunch today with my training partner all primarily over 2 key fundamentals.

So for some time now I was wondering if I, at 38, simply am getting too old to play with or beat my younger 30 year old training partner because it felt like I always lose the close to the table exchanges. It felt like he was quicker than me.

Then I thought of something you hear good players preach. "Shorten your stroke". So today I focused on ready position between hits (learning forward, paddle out in front of me) and keeping my stroke short on those close to the table quick exchanges... It worked so well. I would say today I was winning the fast majority of quick exchanges with solid, short counter-hits.

If you're hitting with someone who has decent power, I found you don't need to put a whole of pop going back to them to give them a ball that's plenty fast. Just a good solid counter-hit.

Looking forward to trying to keep this practice going so it's not just a one time deal. ;)

Pretty sure close to the table is the secret to lower physical effort offensive TT. He Zhiwen anyone?

A 2100+ player at my club pushes that idea to the extreme: even his techique - so unorthodox some wouldn’t even call it that - is build for minimal physical effort, no sweat (literally) offense. The only way that works is through marriage to table proximity.

Maybe you’ve found a door forward?