Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Was in local club for 6 hours today, sat down only an hour.

Saw t95mwp and Scoobie Doo, practiced doubles the last couple hours.

Metup with my U3600 last minute arraigned doubles partner played a few matches and we won. Got asked to play doubles with a player I never played doubles with vs a strong contending team, won twice playing with that dude as doubles partner.

Got assigned a different player and lost vs Scoobie Doo and t95mwp.

Got chances to roll up doubles partner sleeve to show hiz guns.

TT is an entertainment business.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Last night, I hit with a new member, a young PH kid. My knee is still achy. Have a brace on. So instead of playing games or serious practice, I was paying it forward and trying to help this kid. We chatted briefly a week or 2 before when he asked some general questions. Last time, I mentioned he was too square in his ready stance and also to use his FH more. I noticed he hasn't tried to make those 2 adjustments I suggested.

Last night, i just steadily return the ball for him so he can groove his strokes. Another member who is ~2000 PH (one of the better PH at my club... plays TPB) came over and taught him the basic FH and also how to stand with feet at 10 and 3 or 4 as if on a clock. Kid said, but this other member taught him to stand with feet parallel (9 and 3 on a clock). That member ~2100-2200 SH has already been working with this kid and was sitting and watching. He came over and said no, you should stand with your feet parallel.

I looked at the 2000 PH and gave him a puzzled look. Later when I was done hitting with the kid, I told the 2000 PH that I asked the kid to stand with left foot in front and right behind at 10 & 3/4 on a clock also. I told him I agreed with him. He said for PH we should stand this way. He said some SH stands with parallel feet. I have seen some SH members stand bladed.

IIRC sometime last year or 2 years ago, NextLevel mentioned his stance was 10&3 (or 4) on a clock.

Curious as to other SH members' stances. How do you stand?

I Do 10 and 4, sometimes 11 and 5! But I'm only single-sided PH. Most SH players are parallel nowdays and I'm sure I read over the forums advocating that stance...if I can remember.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Tried the spinpips Blue again after i had coached for 4 hours straight so had not much energy. Still no crisp and power in the rubber. I think i can create power on my own, it is just that the rubber is letting me down. Have tried other short pimples before but nothing have come close to being this bad.

Thinking of trying chinese short pips like 802, 802-40, 651. Have anyone tried them? Have not good financial situation to buy expensive short pips that are shit. I think i tried 802 40 for almost a decade ago, and it felt okay. Maybe to soft. Maybe better to try proven pips that have worked for so many years. if they are to hard and slow maybe i can boost them a little. Any thoughts?

Edit: they are also cheap so not so much to lose. I think many chinese players use these cheap chinese ones. Our chinese coach is just laughing when i tell him my rubbers cost over 40 USD.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The tip of the day! ;)

Hello guys! I know Marcus Sjöberg pretty good, and i are going to try to help him to share this awesome offer. His company Nordic tabletennis have training camp/vacation this summer. One for adults and one for kids. Sjöberg is very good as a coach and very motivated so i think these camps are great and a fun experience. I went to one of their weekend camps and i learned alot.

Seethese links:

foradults: https://www.nordictabletennis.com/v%C3%A5ra-projekt/seniorl%C3%A4ger-i-spanien-38555078

Forkids: https://www.nordictabletennis.com/v%C3%A5ra-projekt/ungdomsl%C3%A4ger-i-spanien-38193392

Pleasenote that the text is in swedish, but there are a pdf file on theright side with information in english.

Ifyou have any question ask me, or even better. Send a mailto
[email protected].Feel free to ask anything. I am a nice guy, and so is Anton!

Theyalso are the owners of Japsko: http://www.japsko.se/en/
Thereyou can find alot of pimple out rubbers and get good help about therubbers and what suits you the best. Sjöberg is also the national coach of Englandand used to be Swedens.

Check it out! :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
OSP ... I would agree with 10 and 4 ... 9 and 3 is too extreme ... I think the point is you don't do your backhand with your right foot in front .. so be in a FH position where you have to do minimal changes to hit a BH .. I don't think you can do decent forehand loops from 9 and 3 .. that is asking for too much ...
Last night, I hit with a new member, a young PH kid. My knee is still achy. Have a brace on. So instead of playing games or serious practice, I was paying it forward and trying to help this kid. We chatted briefly a week or 2 before when he asked some general questions. Last time, I mentioned he was too square in his ready stance and also to use his FH more. I noticed he hasn't tried to make those 2 adjustments I suggested.

Last night, i just steadily return the ball for him so he can groove his strokes. Another member who is ~2000 PH (one of the better PH at my club... plays TPB) came over and taught him the basic FH and also how to stand with feet at 10 and 3 or 4 as if on a clock. Kid said, but this other member taught him to stand with feet parallel (9 and 3 on a clock). That member ~2100-2200 SH has already been working with this kid and was sitting and watching. He came over and said no, you should stand with your feet parallel.

I looked at the 2000 PH and gave him a puzzled look. Later when I was done hitting with the kid, I told the 2000 PH that I asked the kid to stand with left foot in front and right behind at 10 & 3/4 on a clock also. I told him I agreed with him. He said for PH we should stand this way. He said some SH stands with parallel feet. I have seen some SH members stand bladed.

IIRC sometime last year or 2 years ago, NextLevel mentioned his stance was 10&3 (or 4) on a clock.

Curious as to other SH members' stances. How do you stand?

This user has no status.
I had a very good 2H session with my coach yesterday, and today i hit the ball with my usual teammate E.
In recent months he's been dominating me, almost everytime. Today, he won again, but it was 2-3 twice, and my nerves at money-time was what cost me the match. I've been losing too much... for example, 8-8 in the first decider. I net two BH receives while i had been receiving rather well during the match.. then i miss a seemingly (but not) easy attack, didn't put the extra footwork effort to make it really easy.

Then i played with the japanese dude playing on the next table with his (G?)F. In his 20s, they both looked very good. And i was scared of taking a hard beat as he raced ahead in the 1st. But i managed to come back a little, hit some winners, make some good rallies, lost it only 9. My confidence grew, i took the 2nd 9 as well. In the 3rd, i think i was largely ahead, 9-3 ? but he managed to come back and i recoup to win it at deuce. The 4th i think he won it easily , but in the 5th i took the best start 5-0 ! but then it became 8-3 and 9-5. He came back again 9-9 as i was getting nervous and in lack of ideas to close the game. Fortunately 2 excellent BH blocks after some good rallies gave the match to me ! TCHOOOO.

A nice game for me because I think the guy was better than me. He had good serves, good technique, attacked from both wings, good in the short game... BUT I think he thought first he was much better than I, and somehow put pressure on himself and then he made too many unforced errors because of that only. If we play again, i think the odds will be against me....

This user has no status.
also wanted to share that. My coach explained me yday how to do a "stop" (2 bounces) receive against a topspin serve to short FH.

this is a rather difficult and semi-advanced stroke, but the FH flick is difficult as well

like all receive to short FH, step towards the ball with right foot (heel FIRST) under the table, and body facing 11 o'clock.
be very quick because we must catch the ball right after the bounce, with a very light vertical chop, a slightly open wrist and a very loose grip to absorb speed and energy. If you're a bit late, then the receive will be one bounce only, - or worse - ball will come off the table.

If you know already how to do "stop" receive against no spin or backspin, the touch is not so different, just the angle of the racket and that light chopping motion so just try it !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
also wanted to share that. My coach explained me yday how to do a "stop" (2 bounces) receive against a topspin serve to short FH.

this is a rather difficult and semi-advanced stroke, but the FH flick is difficult as well

like all receive to short FH, step towards the ball with right foot (heel FIRST) under the table, and body facing 11 o'clock.
be very quick because we must catch the ball right after the bounce, with a very light vertical chop, a slightly open wrist and a very loose grip to absorb speed and energy. If you're a bit late, then the receive will be one bounce only, - or worse - ball will come off the table.

If you know already how to do "stop" receive against no spin or backspin, the touch is not so different, just the angle of the racket and that light chopping motion so just try it !

It is hard to understand in text But i think your coach and me teach this the same way. Or almost. I agree on everything But I think it is important to brush the ball fast thin on the right side of the ball. And Maybe a little up to Down. So you brush the ball enough to make it stop. I think it is almost impossible if come behind the ball, need to come at the side.

And i think this a very advanced shot. Do not think the majority of players here are able to Do this good time after time. It is only when i play players that could play the second highest leauge or Maybe third highest in Sweden or that they have Done it in the past. I am always caugth of guard when people can play short at my sidetop, Nospin short serve.

I Do not know how much players here need to learn this, if it is really necessary for their game. More important to be able to Do it if the opponent can play really hard against your push or flip. But proably good for offensive players or those with bad blocking game. But like you Said, very difficult and i think you need food touch to able to Do this. Nothing for beginners.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Trained again today with my new short pimple rubber. I still think the old one was much much better. But the control is good in this but it is harder to get enough power. But i am trying to work well with the body, so maybe this rubber can benefit my technique. As long as the rotation do not take to much time. So maybe i should try to use the rubber for a while. So if you buy a new rubber maybe you should give it some time. But i still think that i need to find an another rubber that i feel is more similar to the old one. Do not think this rubber is necessary bad, just feel very very different from the other and are better at different things. I like more the hard, stiff, crisp feeling, and the feel that if i put in effort the ball will be much more powerful. So i think harder rubber in general suit me much better. You get much more help and control with softer rubber, but not much happens when you try to play harder shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@Lula

actually just saw a video by a coach explaining it much better

Personally i think the FH flick is more difficult to execute. I'm very bad at it.

Can you translate shortly What he is saying? Hard to understand because it Do not seem that he show much.

What Do you think is difficult with the flip?

I think it is important to come in close to the ball with the body, take the ball at the highest point and use mostly just wrist because you Do not have the space to use so much forearm. Then either flathit the ball or try to brush it a little. Think the first option is easiest. I have also noticed that many of my players decide beforehand and flip at everything. So they flip at wrong balls so they miss to much. You can not flip at everything. Important to flip at the correct balls. Also better to flip when you can make a good flip with good placement so it benefit you by doing the flip.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Completed the Sacramento TT Tourney with David and TT Monster.

They all had fun and competed. David will get his initial USATT rating.

Some of our friends in Sacramento did really well, one got to U2000 finals.

I advanced place 1 out of group stage and then lost at deuce in 5th to a guy who will be re-rated to over 2000 and he cleaned house in several events. I shoulda won and made it to finals, but it didn't work out. He beat JZ 2200 player as well. I am severely disappointed, I was up 8-4 and stopped attacking with BH and he got breaks, I didn't. I gotta improve in those situations. My level will show with enough tourney sample size. I am dominating the players I should win and seriously troubling players 1-2 levels above my rating, the match level will come.

As discouraging as my one match vs that good player was, I am encouraged that signs show I am on the path to raising my play another level before end of 2019.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
At the end, Baraty discusses why the forehand flick is technically the most difficult shot in TT.

https://youtu.be/C2R5UJKV_Y4

I still think compare to what Takkyu explained about pushing short on topspin, nospin, sidetop serves forehand flick is an walk in the park. But maybe this short push is not considered a standard shot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I still think compare to what Takkyu explained about pushing short on topspin, nospin, sidetop serves forehand flick is an walk in the park. But maybe this short push is not considered a standard shot.

The stroke is actually easier, it is the mindset and reading the spin that may be harder since you aren't using spin or power for safety. Baraty would probably agree with you, but on the other hand, you use short pips so you are always playing the same stroke in some ways.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The stroke is actually easier, it is the mindset and reading the spin that may be harder since you aren't using spin or power for safety. Baraty would probably agree with you, but on the other hand, you use short pips so you are always playing the same stroke in some ways.

I still think many players never will master the short push against serves that have no backspin, because it is too difficult and they do not develop that kind of touch. Think more players will learn to make rather okey flips. Or atleast that is my experience.

Yes, i am talking more about inverted rubber. I can barely do not do the push i think about because the ball slips on my rubber and do not grip well so can not create the spin to make the ball to stop. But then because of the slipping part i do not need to brush the ball as much, just change the angle. And with my playing style i do not do this kind of returns so much. If i can flip the ball well i rather do that, than push short. I also try to do the banana flip and a aggressive push with my short pimple. I am better when i get a somewhat bad loop against me than when i need to do the opening loop. Especially opening loops with my forehand is my biggest weakness and good players can exploit this so i try to avoid this everyway possible.