Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The training based on adjusting the timing of my BH strokes is getting some good results. Yesterday was the first time I felt really comfortable looping backspins with my BH in doubles. In doubles because I have to be way further back before moving in for each shot, I often felt uncomfortable making BH opening loops. I now wait a tad bit more and try to move/lean forward a bit more so that I don't reach for the ball. It actually helped the whole gamut of BH shots. I was also far more consistent in banana flicks, for example. For drives I'm getting consistently good contact, but the actual land rate is insufficient. The better contact makes for heck a lot more power, and I'm aiming far too high right now most of the time.

On the FH side I also focused on the timing of my biomechanics. I focused on being relaxed throughout the stroke until right before contact so I can really accelerate through the ball. This change is helping my rubber really hold onto the ball and results in a much improved consistency.

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The training based on adjusting the timing of my BH strokes is getting some good results. Yesterday was the first time I felt really comfortable looping backspins with my BH in doubles. In doubles because I have to be way further back before moving in for each shot, I often felt uncomfortable making BH opening loops. I now wait a tad bit more and try to move/lean forward a bit more so that I don't reach for the ball. It actually helped the whole gamut of BH shots. I was also far more consistent in banana flicks, for example. For drives I'm getting consistently good contact, but the actual land rate is insufficient. The better contact makes for heck a lot more power, and I'm aiming far too high right now most of the time.

On the FH side I also focused on the timing of my biomechanics. I focused on being relaxed throughout the stroke until right before contact so I can really accelerate through the ball. This change is helping my rubber really hold onto the ball and results in a much improved consistency.
With your increased improvement/willingness to open with BH, we REALLY would wipe out those doubles dudes in Pleasanton TTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
With your increased improvement/willingness to open with BH, we REALLY would wipe out those doubles dudes in Pleasanton TTC.
Haha for sure!

I just had one of my most productive days at the Pleasanton club. First I got to have a nice long practice session against a guy who also likes to practice. He's got a solid loop from both wings, and he wanted to focus on the BH. Great! After warm ups we practiced the BH loop, with a focus on generating spin. I worked a lot on my timing and spin generation, which was awesome.

After that we practiced BH opening loop then continuous attack. We agreed to not go for kill shots so we can try to get the rally going a bit. I remember playing against him last year, I watched his BH opening loop with envy at the time. Today, however, my BH opening loop was signifcantly more consistent and threatening than his, and my follow up attack was better as well. I got to improve my blocking to boot.

After he left, I practiced mostly BH against another guy who wanted to practice. He already has a solid BH, and after a short while he asked if we could slow it down and practice just the basic BH counter hit. Music to my ears! That was the thing coach Huang taught me and what started my BH improvement, but I have trouble finding people who are willing/able to practice that with me. So we did that until our shoulders were too sore to continue. We were able to have long, long rallies lasting minutes where I really, really worked on the timing of my biomechanics. We then practiced pushing until our shoulders recovered, and then practiced BH some more.

After he left, I practiced against a lower level player. He was there all afternoon but didn't get to play much as most people today were higher level players and probably didn't really want to play with him. I try to make time for guys like that, and I try to find ways for it to work for me as well. He's a solid blocker, so I practiced some FH loops against blocks, with an emphasis on being relaxed until just before impact. I feel that this really helps with my spin and consistency as I have more hold on the ball.

Overall, this is by far the most productive day I've had at that club, and I'm quite pleased with the progress I made today.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
My locale is experiencing heat wave. After an hour or so of playing in an enclosed hall with no air-conditioning in a 90% humidity level, the sweat drips non stop like a leaking faucet. Had to stop at every point to wipe away sweat from the blade and hands. What a bummer.

• Wow
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
My locale is experiencing heat wave. After an hour or so of playing in an enclosed hall with no air-conditioning in a 90% humidity level, the sweat drips non stop like a leaking faucet. Had to stop at every point to wipe away sweat from the blade and hands. What a bummer.
I pretty much refuse to play in conditions like that. Better just to stay home

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Hello, everyone!

I made some videos of me playing with the coach. Two parts - against his left, and his right hands. I think i did better against the right one lol, but only because its training matches, and he is not playing to his full strength and he is sixty two years old

Left hand
Right hand

Last edited:
Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hello, everyone!

I made some videos of me playing with the coach. Two parts - against his left, and his right hands. I think i did better against the right one lol, but only because its training matches, and he is not playing to his full strength and he is sixty two years old

Left hand
Right hand
that is awesome. which hand does your coach write with? I write left handed but ive always played racket sports with my right hand. i also shoot a basketball with my right. in soccer, my left foot is dominate though. I am completely mixed handed.

Reactions: SleepyMaster
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
that is awesome. which hand does your coach write with? I write left handed but ive always played racket sports with my right hand. i also shoot a basketball with my right. in soccer, my left foot is dominate though. I am completely mixed handed.
Thank you, thats an interesting mix you have. When i played soccer, i have injured my right leg, so i needed to adapt and my left leg became as good as my right. Also my left hand is stronger than right - that’s I know from boxing, wrestling, and lifting weights.

Coach Kim is writing with his right hand, also its his dominant hand. It is much stronger than left. But still his doing pretty nice with his left, sometimes im telling people - i can lose to my coach left hand in close game, and people starting to laugh at me, but he is really slick with it tbh. If its possible, i ask them - go and try, brother =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jslick89
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Thank you, thats an interesting mix you have. When i played soccer, i have injured my right leg, so i needed to adapt and my left leg became as good as my right. Also my left hand is stronger than right - that’s I know from boxing, wrestling, and lifting weights.

Coach Kim is writing with his right hand, also its his dominant hand. It is much stronger than left. But still his doing pretty nice with his left, sometimes im telling people - i can lose to my coach left hand in close game, and people starting to laugh at me, but he is really slick with it tbh. If its possible, i ask them - go and try, brother =)
its funny..my right hand is stronger in lifting weights too (I don't box or wrestle, lol). Maybe its from playing paddle sports with my right hand my whole life (the nadal effect?). Thankfully I never had any serious injuries from playing soccer so the time devoted to improving my right leg in soccer was by choice and not necessity.

Coach Kim def looked pretty good with his left hand! I think its impossible for anyone in table tennis to be equal with both hands but amazing players like Timo Boll can often land world class shots with their opposite hand. the difference being that no one could consistently land those world class shots with their opposite hand.

there is a video of adam barbow playing Lin Yun-ju playing Adam with his opposite hand. He seemed to be playing like a 2000+ USA TT player with his opposite hand lol

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
its funny..my right hand is stronger in lifting weights too (I don't box or wrestle, lol). Maybe its from playing paddle sports with my right hand my whole life (the nadal effect?). Thankfully I never had any serious injuries from playing soccer so the time devoted to improving my right leg in soccer was by choice and not necessity.

Coach Kim def looked pretty good with his left hand! I think its impossible for anyone in table tennis to be equal with both hands but amazing players like Timo Boll can often land world class shots with their opposite hand. the difference being that no one could consistently land those world class shots with their opposite hand.

there is a video of adam barbow playing Lin Yun-ju playing Adam with his opposite hand. He seemed to be playing like a 2000+ USA TT player with his opposite hand lol
Yeah, I think the reason is paddle sport for your hand, and boxing (cause 70% of work are maded by left hand in this sports if you are right handed, it made my left hand stronger)

Yeah it’s definitely not possible to equally play with each hand. Even there is such thing like ambidextrous people, but still I don’t meet or know anyone who is achieved that in tt.

2000 is a lot, considered high rating if I’m not wrong. We have different rating system, but from what I saw, I was about 1800-1900 when have trained 6 times per week for a year. Occasionally winning on much stronger players. But then burn myself out, taking some break and my level slightly decreased, now I’m slowly coming back.

People like Lin-Yun-ju are geniuses, and have so much experience and feeling on the ball, that I’m not surprised tbh

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Yeah, I think the reason is paddle sport for your hand, and boxing (cause 70% of work are maded by left hand in this sports if you are right handed, it made my left hand stronger)

Yeah it’s definitely not possible to equally play with each hand. Even there is such thing like ambidextrous people, but still I don’t meet or know anyone who is achieved that in tt.

2000 is a lot, considered high rating if I’m not wrong. We have different rating system, but from what I saw, I was about 1800-1900 when have trained 6 times per week for a year. Occasionally winning on much stronger players. But then burn myself out, taking some break and my level slightly decreased, now I’m slowly coming back.

People like Lin-Yun-ju are geniuses, and have so much experience and feeling on the ball, that I’m not surprised tbh
yeah 2000 is a pretty high level here in the USA. not upper echelon but you would be a top player in all the clubs around where i live (but still completely out classed by the 2400+ players in the bay area of california).

I actually just watched a bit of that Lin Yun Ju video and maybe not quite 2000 but he was playing good against adam barbow who was rated 2000 when he competed in USATT.

Yeah I'd be interested to see how you would stack up here against some of the northern california players. Your BH/FH transition looks pretty effortless and your balls all seem fast and deadly. from what i see, your coach's spin variance can still throw you off, so it seems to be more of an experience thing rather than being able to execute the techniques. That's pretty much where i'm at right now too. I can do all of the strokes...its just consistency and confidence plus a better ability to read the spin variances. I'm about 1650 USATT rating now but ive beaten some much higher rated players.

Unfortunately i'm so busy working multiple jobs to pay for my expensive california house that i only get to play 1-2 times week with other people and i haven't had structured lessons from a coach in over a year. Thankfully @Der_Echte has been teaching me some valuable lessons in 15-20 minute increments out of the goodness of his heart lol and ive still been making slow but steady progress in my level.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
yeah 2000 is a pretty high level here in the USA. not upper echelon but you would be a top player in all the clubs around where i live (but still completely out classed by the 2400+ players in the bay area of california).

I actually just watched a bit of that Lin Yun Ju video and maybe not quite 2000 but he was playing good against adam barbow who was rated 2000 when he competed in USATT.

Yeah I'd be interested to see how you would stack up here against some of the northern california players. Your BH/FH transition looks pretty effortless and your balls all seem fast and deadly. from what i see, your coach's spin variance can still throw you off, so it seems to be more of an experience thing rather than being able to execute the techniques. That's pretty much where i'm at right now too. I can do all of the strokes...its just consistency and confidence plus a better ability to read the spin variances. I'm about 1650 USATT rating now but ive beaten some much higher rated players.

Unfortunately i'm so busy working multiple jobs to pay for my expensive california house that i only get to play 1-2 times week with other people and i haven't had structured lessons from a coach in over a year. Thankfully @Der_Echte has been teaching me some valuable lessons in 15-20 minute increments out of the goodness of his heart lol and ive still been making slow but steady progress in my level.
The most important thing in tt is stability and constant practice. That’s how you grow.

Yeah, coach has a lot of spin tricks in his game - serves (side, no spin/down spin with almost same motion), touches (no spin pushes sometimes looks like heavy under), and loops - even when he played his left hand. All those tricks can lead not so experienced player like me - to unforced errors. But all in all - it’s good for the progress, bc it teaching me to read the spin properly and to adjust for every stroke. Usually when I play against people with less spin variations - it’s so easier to play.

One or two times a week it’s okay, if you keep it intense and consistent/challenging. Of course more is better, but most of us hobby players, that have jobs, families and other responsibilities, so if you keep growing - you doing it right

Last edited:
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
Despite my arm basically hurting every time I make a slightly faster move, I decided last night to be a silly willy and go train at the club anyway.
Trying to refrain from sudden hard swings was really hard, and about 45 minutes in I couldn't play any forehand loop. Really happy the exercises were focused on other things, so I could divert my attention to backhand, placement, pushes, footwork and after the training program I was able to clown around with someone making insane lobs etc. which may be silly but actually do a lot for developing a proper feel for the ball for me.

I'm happy to report my arm didn't actually fall off :p but on the more serious note, no seizing up like it did for me last Tuesday. Still do feel a little overused, but this I can handle until next week's club training. I feel like if I have to tone things back now by skipping training, I'll have a really hard time developing my muscle to the point where I can take a bit of a beating again.

Reactions: dingyibvs
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Despite my arm basically hurting every time I make a slightly faster move, I decided last night to be a silly willy and go train at the club anyway.
Trying to refrain from sudden hard swings was really hard, and about 45 minutes in I couldn't play any forehand loop. Really happy the exercises were focused on other things, so I could divert my attention to backhand, placement, pushes, footwork and after the training program I was able to clown around with someone making insane lobs etc. which may be silly but actually do a lot for developing a proper feel for the ball for me.

I'm happy to report my arm didn't actually fall off :p but on the more serious note, no seizing up like it did for me last Tuesday. Still do feel a little overused, but this I can handle until next week's club training. I feel like if I have to tone things back now by skipping training, I'll have a really hard time developing my muscle to the point where I can take a bit of a beating again.
What’s the problem with your arm, brother? Did you torn ur bicep or what?

Jan 2024
@SleepyMaster I honestly don't know what this is, but I'm guessing that a weekend of DIY at home, plus playing a lot with arm movements (trying to correct that) plus awful hard smashing plus getting old means something had swollen to the point where it restricts movement. Paracetamol gave immediate relief (it acts as a bit of a blood thinner).

The second problem which has been going on a little longer is probably something of a tennis elbow. also due to uncontrolled, overly hard arm movements. Switching from 5-ply super flexy Appelgren to 7-ply Clipper helped reduce the impact, as well as training to use body rotation for FH swings. This is actually getting better week by week.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
@SleepyMaster I honestly don't know what this is, but I'm guessing that a weekend of DIY at home, plus playing a lot with arm movements (trying to correct that) plus awful hard smashing plus getting old means something had swollen to the point where it restricts movement. Paracetamol gave immediate relief (it acts as a bit of a blood thinner).

The second problem which has been going on a little longer is probably something of a tennis elbow. also due to uncontrolled, overly hard arm movements. Switching from 5-ply super flexy Appelgren to 7-ply Clipper helped reduce the impact, as well as training to use body rotation for FH swings. This is actually getting better week by week.
Ah, I get it. Hope you will recover well. Actually exercising is better than doing nothing, if done correct should even speed up your recovery - depend on a problem. But it should be better with time, if it’s regular tennis elbow.

Reactions: Tyce