Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
With my 1000th post on TTD, I share with you the newspaper that is fresh off the press today!
401490503_6861399300623515_2042821728614362619_n.jpg

I also made it to the back cover of the newspaper!

401763432_6861399320623513_2769687641237736728_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I had a good session today until the very end today.

I played 5 players in total, including my old coach, which I beat 4-1 (with me starting at -3).
I won all of them 4-0 or 4-1. But during my final match, perhaps I was pretty worn out already, (no rest for nearly 2 hours straight games), as I went to the edge of the court to pick up a ball, I step out with my right foot, and then my right heel slipped forward as though there was water on the floor. I end up nearly doing a figure of 1 with my legs but didn't fall to the side and managed to get a grip with my right foot, but must have sprained something in my groin. In that game, I was winning 3-1 with something like 10-7, but I just said I won't keep playing as I don't want to aggravate it.

I then went back to the spot to see what it was. It was on an indoor basketball court. There was no water, but somehow that spot, the grip on the floor is gone, so when i run my shoe on it, it is slippery still.

Pretty annoyed at it but I am glad that I have the self control to stop playing. Now I just hope I didn't pull anything major and that it will all be fine.

Old coach took more interest in me today, perhaps after reading the newspaper xD
After he got tired, he watched my games. At the end, he asked if I was alright after the slip, and he told me that at times that when I loop with bh, I was leaning backwards and that is why some of the balls were going off the table. This is something that I am aware of, but perhaps I was doing it to compensate so that the ball can be lifted upward. I know I need to keep the body leaning forward, so he said he will work on it with me Thursday (that is if my groin is fine).

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I mentioned a few days ago that I might give my old HL5 a try, today I did a very short practice session with it. It's still way harder to get a quality BH shot with it, you really need to hit just right and with a lot of power, but man does it feels good on the FH side. Despite a lot of practice, my FH loop just isn't as consistent with the W968. I'm wondering if the D09C just doesn't pair with it as well as a tuned H3. It just feels like the ball comes off a little too quickly and there isn't enough of an arc. Perhaps a slower blade with more dwell like the regular HL5 is just a better pairing.

I think I'm gonna bring the HL5 setup to the club tomorrow and give it a try in real game situations, see how I feel about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today we have our Clubs Championships. I didn't even know and had to cancel work :p
I am playing really well atm despite not training much. If i can play concentrated i think i can win it. We have a couple 2000-2100 players. However, I have beaten em before, so now its just about recalling that feeling and playing loose.

I am not sure if I should workout prior todays matches ... i want to but it might hinder my performance.

Where do you guys draw the line between prioritizing personal fitness over performance?

• Love
Reactions: jammmail and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Today we have our Clubs Championships. I didn't even know and had to cancel work :p
I am playing really well atm despite not training much. If i can play concentrated i think i can win it. We have a couple 2000-2100 players. However, I have beaten em before, so now its just about recalling that feeling and playing loose.

I am not sure if I should workout prior todays matches ... i want to but it might hinder my performance.

Where do you guys draw the line between prioritizing personal fitness over performance?
Love your priorities! TT>> Work haha.

I don't think I am qualified to comment as you are so much better than I am, but if it was me having a compeition later today, I would not be going to gym/workout prior as I don't think having an extra workout will benefit me and it might tire me out for the competition later. I generally try not to workout 2 days prior to a competition to avoid injury and energy burnout. But you are also probably alot fitter than I am so maybe it is different haha.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Love your priorities! TT>> Work haha.

I don't think I am qualified to comment as you are so much better than I am, but if it was me having a compeition later today, I would not be going to gym/workout prior as I don't think having an extra workout will benefit me and it might tire me out for the competition later. I generally try not to workout 2 days prior to a competition to avoid injury and energy burnout. But you are also probably alot fitter than I am so maybe it is different haha.
I think you are overestimating me :D

Jea i think so too. But today id have the time to workout. I might go the middle way and do a stretching/ Yogaish session :)
I guess id would be good to do more dynamic stretching as i don't want my muscles to be disconnected too much. What do you think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I think you are overestimating me :D

Jea i think so too. But today id have the time to workout. I might go the middle way and do a stretching/ Yogaish session :)
I guess id would be good to do more dynamic stretching as i don't want my muscles to be disconnected too much. What do you think?
Sounds good and good luck for your championship!

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

I usually work out after playing TT. If there's serious competition then I won't work out for a few days before playing. I train to failure so there's just nothing left for TT if I work out beforehand!

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
So I went to the club today, intending to try out my old blade again. When I went to pay the fee, the guy asked me if I wanted to play round robin. I was like what? We used to do that on Thursdays, but it's been cancelled for months! Anyhow, I was like what the heck, let's do it. I was tempted to switch back to the 968 since I only had a 10 minute practice yesterday with the old HL5, but I was committed to giving the HL5 another shot so I went for it. It took me 2 months after the HL5 to 968 switch to feel comfortable with it, so I know it's not gonna be an instant success. And it wasn't. :LOL:

I lost all my matches for the first time since moving to Group 1. The top guy I've only beaten once or twice, but the others I haven't lost to in a while. Most sets I lost by 2 points, I think I just didn't have confidence in my shots in tight moments.

Anyhow, the important thing is the behavior of the blade. The HL5 I do think fits me better, especially on the FH side. It's not as fast, so I tanked a lot of shots into the net, but the curve it creates is beautiful. It's an absolute counter-loop machine. On the BH side you really need to get the shot perfect or else it just feels mushy as hell. This is a blade that really rewards you when you're able to put a lot of power into it, and really punishes you when you don't. My BH was absolute trash today, but when I do hit it right the shot does feel rather good. I feel like with the 968 an its easier BH I've developed a habit of playing too safe on the BH side, which is not really my style. I want to go balls to the walls every shot on both wings if possible, and I think the HL5 will force me to do that.

I'll go to the farther club tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some good practice time to get used to it. I don't think it'll take 2 months again since I've used it before.

Reactions: blahness and JeffM
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
hey @dingyibvs I do not know my coaching work schedule this weekend, but one way or another, I will likely be on east bay going to TTA, ICC, Pleasanton, etc on Saturday. (This Sat) Ali, who I occasionally coach, has a new Long 5 blade he used 10 favors to procure... he wants to tryout this blade he has been itching to use.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
hey @dingyibvs I do not know my coaching work schedule this weekend, but one way or another, I will likely be on east bay going to TTA, ICC, Pleasanton, etc on Saturday. (This Sat) Ali, who I occasionally coach, has a new Long 5 blade he used 10 favors to procure... he wants to tryout this blade he has been itching to use.
Damn, our schedules never line up. My wife and I are going to San Jose to hang out on Sat. What's your itinerary like? She's probably not gonna like me ditching her while in SJ to play, but if you guys are leaving early maybe we can have a hit at my house. We're probably gonna leave around lunch time and get lunch at SJ, and I live just 2 mins away from a 680 exit so could be on the way for your trip. Or if you guys are returning late that's also possible.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@dingyibvs nah, don't piss off the wife unit needlessly, that would be the wrong kind of trouble.

I would be willing to bring any and all who come with me to your garage on the way back if it is 2 mile or 20 miles off 680.

PM me the time you would expect to be available and where to meet. I have zero idea the end time of my trouble making mission with friend(s) it could go well not end until 7 or so, or it could fizzle out and end early, have no idea to predict reliably.

• Haha
Reactions: JeffM