This user has no status.
Yeah, I think these drills are good for learning how to 'build' a point.You know, I wonder if training like that was a part of my problem. So I had been seeking power, wanting to get a good crack on every loop. Once I managed to do that against single point backspins, I set my robot to random points, 3 different speed/length balls, and then tried to do the same. Basically I was trying to do the drill you suggested...except doing a big swing with every shot.
I was never able to accomplish that, and now I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have tried because it's simply not the right way to approach it.
Early in rallies often both players are close to the table, so you simply don't get the type of ball that you can load up for.
Learning to creating quality with timing and efficient movements, loading up when appropriate.
As you become more efficient, you can start to feel when you can really rip the shot.