Defensive Blade Suggestions? (2017)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Another thread inquiring about blades, the horrors!

I've been reading a number of the older 'defensive blade' threads, but many date back to 2012 or before. And I see a lot of new blades have been released since then.

Are there any good suggestions that people are finding success with in the new poly ball era?

Hadraw Shield
Koji Offensive / Special / Defensive / Regular
Defplay Senso
Chen Weixing
Shiono Def
Victas Yuto blade

And any others? I like to play a somewhat modern defensive style, but not overly aggressive. I prefer to win points by chopping, although if a pop up or weak push does arrive, I'll try to top spin that ball in for a winner! I'm not running around trying to blast every shot with my forehand or anything like that though.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.

I've been reading a number of the older 'defensive blade' threads, but many date back to 2012 or before. And I see a lot of new blades have been released since then.

Are there any good suggestions that people are finding success with in the new poly ball era?

Hadraw Shield
Defplay Senso
Chen Weixing
Shiono Def
Victas Yuto blade

And any others? I like to play a somewhat modern defensive style, but not overly aggressive. I prefer to win points by chopping, although if a pop up or weak push does arrive, I'll try to top spin that ball in for a winner! I'm not running around trying to blast every shot with my forehand or anything like that though.
Who is your favourite chopper?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Who is your favourite chopper?

I like watching Wu Yang, Li Qian, Hou Ying Chao, and Seo Hyo Won. Mainly ones that do a lot of forehand chopping. The current Wu Yang is a lot more offensive than she was a number of years ago. I probably lean more towards her older style with less offensive risks.

I was using the defplay senso quite a few years back, before my hiatus. I think she still uses the same?

This user has no status.

Hadraw Shield
Defplay Senso
Chen Weixing
Shiono Def
Victas Yuto blade

In your case, out of every VKM, I should recs Original or Defensive,

Your style imply that You prefer outwitting opponent rather than going for the kill. [emoji28]

Another good recs,

Butterfly Defence Alpha (or any Butterfly Defence)
Dr. Neubauer Barricade DEF
KTL (LKT) Toxic 3 (I want to try once)
Xiom Aigis
Stiga Tube Defensive WRB
Donic Defplay Classic Senso (or any Donic Defplay *. I did not like the hollow handle though)
Butterfly Matsushita Pro (spiritual ancestor of VKM)
Butterfly Innershield ZLF

All, of course, in ST [emoji6]

*I wish I ever tried Shiono Def

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I like watching Wu Yang, Li Qian, Hou Ying Chao, and Seo Hyo Won. Mainly ones that do a lot of forehand chopping. The current Wu Yang is a lot more offensive than she was a number of years ago. I probably lean more towards her older style with less offensive risks.

I was using the defplay senso quite a few years back, before my hiatus. I think she still uses the same?
If I were you I would try both the Defplay Senso and the Defplay Classic and see which you like better. She seems to be using the Defplay Classic in her 2009-2010 games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
In your case, out of every VKM, I should recs Original or Defensive,

Your style imply that You prefer outwitting opponent rather than going for the kill. [emoji28]

Another good recs,

Butterfly Defence Alpha (or any Butterfly Defence)
Dr. Neubauer Barricade DEF
KTL (LKT) Toxic 3 (I want to try once)
Xiom Aigis
Stiga Tube Defensive WRB
Donic Defplay Classic Senso (or any Donic Defplay *. I did not like the hollow handle though)
Butterfly Matsushita Pro (spiritual ancestor of VKM)
Butterfly Innershield ZLF

All, of course, in ST [emoji6]

*I wish I ever tried Shiono Def

I was leaning toward one of the koji blades. Any experience with the koji special (the one with carbon)? I don't think I'd want anything slower than the defplay, going by memory.

The fast offensive blades I've been using of late are difficult to really load up on the spin with consistently. But I'm not sure I want to jump right to a flimsy, slow blade as when I do attack, I like some oomph behind it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
...But I'm not sure I want to jump right to a flimsy, slow blade as when I do attack, I like some oomph behind it.
Have you ever considered the Nittaku Shake Defense?
One chopper i know uses it. Depending on the weight it is reasonably fast. I actually don't lose a lot to choppers, but he really gives people a hard time crushing everything weak thrown at him.
It's a composite blade though. Some guys like to small down its head size, but it's a very controlled blade with enough dwell time to produce some decent spin.

This user has no status.
I was leaning toward one of the koji blades. Any experience with the koji special (the one with carbon)? I don't think I'd want anything slower than the defplay, going by memory.

The fast offensive blades I've been using of late are difficult to really load up on the spin with consistently. But I'm not sure I want to jump right to a flimsy, slow blade as when I do attack, I like some oomph behind it.
No, I haven't tried VKM Special, and,

There no need to worry too much on lost of speed, assuming You use spinny rubber like H3.

Because of low bounce but high flex, you can actually loop as hard as you could without worry that the ball overshot the table. [emoji6]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
No, I haven't tried VKM Special, and,

There no need to worry too much on lost of speed, assuming You use spinny rubber like H3.

Because of low bounce but high flex, you can actually loop as hard as you could without worry that the ball overshot the table. [emoji6]

How about something like tackiness chop in 1.9mm in comparison? I haven't used any of the tacky chinese stuff in a long time and seem to prefer the euro style.

This user has no status.
How about something like tackiness chop in 1.9mm in comparison? I haven't used any of the tacky chinese stuff in a long time and seem to prefer the euro style.
This rubber shall made your chop super safe. It is so soft that the rubber bottom up easily to enable safe loop return. At high ball speed, Tackiness Chop so impervious to spin.

Which, not a really desirable effect needed for looping. In the end we must make compromises, like Bluefire JP3, or any new Sriver [emoji6]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
This rubber shall made your chop super safe. It is so soft that the rubber bottom up easily to enable safe loop return. At high ball speed, Tackiness Chop so impervious to spin.

Which, not a really desirable effect needed for looping. In the end we must make compromises, like Bluefire JP3, or any new Sriver [emoji6]

What do you think is the absolute slowest defensive blade out now? Or a few really slow ones?

I had a chance to do some experimenting at the club, and thought I should learn the classical defense for awhile to begin with. So I'm just wanting something that has terrific control, and of course, you can pick hit with any blade when given really easy balls.

This user has no status.
What do you think is the absolute slowest defensive blade out now? Or a few really slow ones?

I had a chance to do some experimenting at the club, and thought I should learn the classical defense for awhile to begin with. So I'm just wanting something that has terrific control, and of course, you can pick hit with any blade when given really easy balls.

Toxic 3 [emoji6]

This user has no status.
This may be helpful. I've played modern def with a gambler mega weave arylate carbon going on 5 years now and I've yet to find an other blade that gives me as much control, spin variation, and speed variation. It's slower than advertised. If you want it to, it will really take all the speed off the ball and you can send back a low, short, dead or spinny ball with plenty of margin for error. If you swing hard enough to feel the ball through the blade, it will yield some very fast, but well controlled, loops and smashes. All that being said, I'm mostly a chopper and that blade is very well balanced for varying spin on chops.

This user has no status.
Have you ever considered the Nittaku Shake Defense?
One chopper i know uses it. Depending on the weight it is reasonably fast. I actually don't lose a lot to choppers, but he really gives people a hard time crushing everything weak thrown at him.
It's a composite blade though. Some guys like to small down its head size, but it's a very controlled blade with enough dwell time to produce some decent spin.

I have had my eye on this blade for a while now? Does this guy by any chance use OX pips? Can you tell me how strong the spin reversal is.