Difference between MJ ZLC and Viscaria

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
What is the difference between these two blades in terms of speed (far and close to the table), blocking, spin, looping, drives, and counter attacking?
What i know is that the MJ ZLC is harder than the viscaria, because of it's layers; koto and limba.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What is the difference between these two blades in terms of speed (far and close to the table), blocking, spin, looping, drives, and counter attacking?
What i know is that the MJ ZLC is harder than the viscaria, because of it's layers; koto and limba.

You may have the two blades backwards.

Butterfly Jun Mizutani: limba-zlc-limba-kiri-limba-zlc-limba

Butterfly Viscaria: koto-arylate/carbon-limba-kiri-limb-arylate/carbon-koto

So Mizutani blade is the one with the softer Limba outer ply. Viscaria is the blade with the harder Koto outer ply.

They end up being very close in speed because Limba is slower than Koto but ALC is slower than ZLC. So the Limba with the ZLC gets about the same speed as the Koto with the ALC.

They feel different though. And that is the bigger issue between the two blades is how they feel.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi Carl thanks for replying. I want to keep the feel of an all wood blade but maintain the speed of a composite blade. In this case, the mizutani would be the best choice but i heard that it lacks in spin. Obviously it would be ideal for someone near me to have a MJ ZLC for me to try but no one does :(
I heard about the Stiga Clipper Rosewood (CRW 7) and it seems to be perfect for my style of play, any details about this blade would be appreciated.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are thinking of a Butterfly composite, you might want to consider an Innerforce ZLC, ALC or ZLF. ZLC is about the speed of the Viscaria and JM. The ALC and ZLF would not be quite as fast.

But they would have decent wood feel. Since they don't really make them under that name, you may want to consider the Tiago Apolonia blade which is the IF ZLC with a different name.

But all the Butterfly blades mentioned get good spin and feel pretty good.

Clipper Rosewood, well, I like the Classic Clipper well enough that I don't think there is a reason to get the Rosewood Clipper.

If you are thinking about the Clipper get the Classic. It is a great blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Thanks Carl, I'll get the Innerforce ZLC in China if they have them, otherwise I'll get the Tiago Apolonia. One more question, have you tried playing with the Stiga CRW 7? It's only available in the Chinese market and only 80 were made by Stiga for the Japanese market.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have not tried it. One thing I would say is, I like the top ply on the Clipper better than I like the top ply from the regular Rosewood V or VII so I have some idea how it would play.

But, if you have access to getting one and want to try it, go for it. There is nothing wrong with having a couple of extra blades. I have somewhere around 20 blades. Then you get to try and find out what you really want.

This user has no status.
Some types are regional only. That goes with many brands...

Some of those might end up outside the intended regions, but won't be available for sale widely outside the intended regions.

I just came from Japan and saw some Stiga, Butterfly, Nittaku blades that I haven't heard/read before. When I went to China, there were many Butterfly blades I haven't seen/heard as well, mostly the penholder ones.

One example:
Stiga RTR (Raijin ThoR) after God of Thunder Thor.

a0eaecd693f5c19880dbc2c76e02eae5.jpg

Last edited: