Do any pro players out there use one ply blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Was just curious how many (if any) pro / national level players out there currently use a one-ply blade during competition (be it kiso, cedar, ayous or something else entirely).

I love the feeling / feedback from my one-ply blade and honestly don't notice much of a speed/ spin deficit compared to the more popular ALC / ZLC / composite blades I've tried (Viscaria | Xiom Hugo | Butterfly Zhang Jike etc). Do any pros out there actually use them regularly?

1 ply is too thick, too 1 dimensional.

probably the last pro who would use it would be a Jpen player and with 1 rubber.

1 ply is too thick, too 1 dimensional.

probably the last pro who would use it would be a Jpen player and with 1 rubber.

I agree they might be to thick for some players,but where my Western Red Cedar blade excels is in the feel and the dwell time when contacting the ball !!! Blocking is massive strength of my blade,it's only my opinion and I respect your!!! But I would say my Western Red Cedar blade is definitely not one dimensional!!!

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I used to read a lot of sales dribble about various blades and often there was talk about blades having several gears.
Maybe single layer blades only have the one gear ?

Single ply hinoki (esp Japanese old hinoki) has manh gears.

They are thick, usually 10mm or 10.5mm. They create the catapult effect in a very different mechanic from multi-ply blades.

Think of the single ply hinoki as a thick bed mattress with springs inside.

A 7kg child jumping on it —> the springs only push the child up a little bit. (small impact, close to table)

A 17kg child jumping on it —> the springs push the child up quite a bit more. (Medium impact, close to table hitting/looping)

A 36kg child jumping on it —> the springs push the child up much higher. (Power loop from a distance)

You see, multi-ply blades such as 968 can flex and produce a catapult effect, gears depending on the impact.

Single-ply hinoki can produce many gears, also impact dependent. Except that there’s no flex (i.e. the bed did not bend), but a catapult effect is produced. In Chinese they often describes this effect as “popping” 喷 catapult.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Always happy to stand corrected, thanks.
Should you have a spare hinoki blade laying around, can I have a try please 😁

I sold one before. I have two left.

One is a very old Darker SP90 (before Japan banned hinoki harvest). This piece of wood is at least 300 years of age.

Another one is Double day, but still Japanese hinoki.

Come to Hamilton and you can try for sure 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Coach Tony,

"Too one dimensional."

Can you pls elaborate on this? What do you mean? Thank you and much appreciated.

Not really talking about the speed of gears. If you can find a Japanese Hinoki, that is very good.

But now, most hinoki are not Japanese (or better, ie Taiwan), but this isn't really my point.

What I am referring to is, if you have a very thick equipment - ie 10mm, and 2 x 4mm rubbers, that is near 20mm. That is a bit too thick for good movements and control. The technical aspect of the game today is way more complicate then those days.

JPen, back then was 1 rubber (and mostly still is today), so 14mm (10+4) is kindof already a limit and some players back then already felt it was too thick.

just under 6mm for a blade is more common today. 6.x is some times pushing the limit already.

This 1 ply question is maybe more applicable for around 20 or 20+ years ago to ask. Back then you would have a lot more, now... its really scarce.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I sold one before. I have two left.

One is a very old Darker SP90 (before Japan banned hinoki harvest). This piece of wood is at least 300 years of age.

Another one is Double day, but still Japanese hinoki.

Come to Hamilton and you can try for sure 😁

thank you, this is very kind of you and you never know I might cruise up one day and take you up on your kind offer.
cheers for now
lodro

I think the one ply blades are too heavy because too thick. All pro players use ALC-ZLC ... ply blades (5 or 7 ply). The plastic ball being less spinny/fast makes this even more necessary.

Well my Western Red Cedar 9mm blade is only 85 grams,think it all depends on what wood you are using.not easy to find the right wood for making a one ply blade!!!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
IMG_8475.jpeg

So there really exist 11mm commercial variant before...

I am not that crazy actually.

Ringing my custom blade maker soon...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
View attachment 29346
So there really exist 11mm commercial variant before...

I am not that crazy actually.

Ringing my custom blade maker soon...
I'm curious - who is it who makes all these Hattori Hanso models? I've never heard of them before (clearly they're made by a Tarantino fan, but that still doesn't narrow it down much. 😂😂)