Do you play a musical instrument?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
I play the air ukulele. It's like air guitar, but with less movement.

In all seriousness, I also play piano, here is a video

Maaan !what you do here with a stylophone is excellent !

Not a fan of the kind of music played here but you're definitely good at it ! I've tried once, it's just ridiculous how it can be difficult, I also play a little bit of piano but more for the harmony concepts I explain to my bass students, and for composing/arranging jazz.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Maaan !what you do here with a stylophone is excellent !

Not a fan of the kind of music played here but you're definitely good at it ! I've tried once, it's just ridiculous how it can be difficult, I also play a little bit of piano but more for the harmony concepts I explain to my bass students, and for composing/arranging jazz.

Thanks man, knowing how to play piano helps a bit with getting used to the stylophone. I have only touched it a few times, I think the trick is to pick the right song that sounds good with the stylophone, because there is a limitation on how fast you can tap a stylus without losing sound, and then, slur your way to victory.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
My favorite is Launchpad, I often use it to create or cover short tempo music with electronic background music. real products can not help but hear

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021

I'm a piano player too and I really enjoy playing piano. it makes me feel good. when I'm in a bad mood, the only thing that can help me is playing piano.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
I'm a piano player too and I really enjoy playing piano. it makes me feel good. when I'm in a bad mood, the only thing that can help me is playing piano.

• Love
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Hey Ray it's still ok to learn to play ANY musical instrument at ANY age, I've been teaching a 62 years old dude who became pretty good after 2 years at playing some old Motown/Stax/R&B tunes. Bass is quite easy at the very beginning if you want to play pop/rock stuff, when I started as a teenager I enetered a band 1 month later, and then put together my own one 1 year later playing some NOLA jazz funk R&B covers a la Dr John, Harry Connick Jr, The Meters and so on 30 years ago ;-)

If you are more into classical, prog, djent, metal, jazz stuff, it requires a bit of work though, but it's like any other instrument when it comes to play more advanced musical languages right ?

Plus It seems you're from central Europe, so I guess you have pretty strong rhythm foundations, balkan folk music traditions there can be really tricky with those asymetric rhythm signature patterns. I've been jamming with some awesome bulgarian, romanian or serbian musicians while being involved in a world folk dance and music festival in my hometown, man... that's mind blowing how they feel the rhythm !

Reactions: Ray and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews

I recently bought proper microphones and a digital interface to transfer the signal to my computer.
Here is my newest video recorded with the equipment.
See if you guys can hear a difference in the sound quality!

https://youtu.be/T6vvkxCGfLM

If you guys want to know the meaning behind the song, check out the description on the video itself!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Rode mikes, what else... ! the best quality/price ratio out there, and indeed it sounds really nice, maybe a bit larger stereo image would have given more "power" to your mix, the sound recording is excellent, mics placement ok then, I know upright pianos always sound a bit "tiny", that's why a lil' extra bounce with compression and larger pan is never wrong ;-)

• Love
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Music&Ping;344313 said:
Rode mikes, what else... ! the best quality/price ratio out there, and indeed it sounds really nice, maybe a bit larger stereo image would have given more "power" to your mix, the sound recording is excellent, mics placement ok then, I know upright pianos always sound a bit "tiny", that's why a lil' extra bounce with compression and larger pan is never wrong ;-)

Nice . I like the mellow character of your recording. Adding some pan or a stereo imaging plug-in would definitely improve the sense of dimension.

Thanks for the feedback Music&Ping and Kolev!
I am actually quite new to recording with mics and digital interfaces.
I have already set the panning to the extreme left and right in Ableton Lite.
What else can I experiment with to improv the sense of dimension?
For mic placement, I did the 3:1 rule, so the mics are about 29cm above the hammers while the mics are about 87cm apart.
I don't know about the pluggins. I think focusrite comes with red plug-in suite and plug in collective. Do they modify the recording as it is being recorded or only after the recording is done in DAW?
Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi Jeff. The world of DAW is real fun, especially when you play instruments, have music knowledge and most of all have ideas. It is a whole universe of possibilities.
You did an excellent job with the mic placement although nothing can stop you to do some experiments and place the mics at different positions to see the results. I haven't recorded an upright, but two times was asked to record a grand (for demo) . Both grands , rooms and even the mics were quite different so we could not apply exactly the same standerd rules for both demos.
Plug-ins are used after the recording during the mixing , so you can always keep your original recording "intact", but probably you already know that.
Try to record both mics not just as a pair(stereo) but as 2x-mono and after that you can really play with the pan. When we play piano and especially grand we clearly hear the high notes(keys) coming from our right and the lows from the left. By adjusting the pan we recreate this perception.
But of course nothing has to be overdone and extreme. Trust your ears.
If you like you may add a bit of reverb and a bit of EQ .....and again TRY NOT to overdo and never use extreme settings.Using compression on a piano is not a good idea unless you are looking for some special result....
WIth two words -Neverending story.

• Wow