Does it really matter what paddle to use?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Fastarc G-1 is slower than DNA Platinum M BUT Fastarc G-1 rubber feels harder than 47'5 more like 50. Platinum M is also 47'5 but feels softer than Fastarc G-1. I have G-1 but I must say that Platinum M i superior and easier to use.
the numbers you are quoting refer to sponge only. G1 has thicccccc topsheet (the rubbery part of the "table tennis rubber", historically the thickest sponge for G1 was 2mm because of that). Plat has super thin topsheet which allows you up to 2.3mm sponge. This thinner topsheet gives you an impression of softer feeling rubber (and probably different rubber compound).

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
Fastarc G-1 is slower than DNA Platinum M BUT Fastarc G-1 rubber feels harder than 47'5 more like 50. Platinum M is also 47'5 but feels softer than Fastarc G-1. I have G-1 but I must say that Platinum M i superior and easier to use.
Although it might be correct that G1 feels “harder” to the DNA platinum, but the G1 is not reliant on the preboosted effect of the ESN tensors. Once the booster effect is gone, the DNA platinum will feel harder and not as pleasant anymore. On the other hand, the G-1 is a more consistent rubber as time passes by. And i also think that it provides players knowledge of hitting areas rather than more forgiving euro tensor rubbers.

the numbers you are quoting refer to sponge only. G1 has thicccccc topsheet (the rubbery part of the "table tennis rubber", historically the thickest sponge for G1 was 2mm because of that). Plat has super thin topsheet which allows you up to 2.3mm sponge. This thinner topsheet gives you an impression of softer feeling rubber (and probably different rubber compound).
And about this, the plat has a more “sponge cake” architecture rather than the G1. Therefore it feels like it. For developing players, I would certainly prefer a G1 due to the consistency. And to say “fast”, g1 is a very controlled rubber, sorta jack of all trades. If you want to go further down the line, get G-1 for your forehand and hammond (original hammond not z2) for your backhand. I think that will suit you well.
Otherwise, play with the Rozena on the backhand but you dont really develop that much with rozena, since the rubber revolves around forgiveness and tolerance. Whilst on the other hand i would say knowledge of spin and bat angle is important especially on fh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I am a proponent of a slower equipement for a 1300 level player. Too many players I see really do not know how to spin the ball. They love to hit hard though. But they have to start with "feeling" the balls.

I like my Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. It is a 5-ply all wood I think? It is solid OFF-. I do not like ALL or ALL+ blade even for beginners. They are too slow. If you start with ALL or ALL+ blade, your angle might be too open just to get the ball over the net, and over time, that is bad for your stroke development as well especially the modern game based on plastic 40+ ball is all about counter looping and counter attacking with your hands relatively high above the table.

If you want to go carbon, Yasaka Ma Lin carbon or Yasaka Ma Ling soft carbon are really good slower carbon to start off with.

Rubbers. I don't see anything wrong with Rozena. It is solid. Do NOT go to Tenergy regular or fx version yet. They are too fast. I love love the Fastarc series from Nittaku. They are tensor but more subdued tensor. I used C-1 for a while before upgrading to G-1 for the speed. Never tried P-1 or S-1. And C-1 and G-1 last forever. I keep on stripping off the G-1 after 6 months of playing and put on my older wood blade to fool around, and they still play very well. Spin is really good.

Rakza 7 soft is also good. Rakza (or Yasaka in general) rubber lasts forever.

Evolution series are very cloes to Tenergy so too fast. Also the top sheet loses some grip pretty fast. So I like Tibhar blade but I am ok with Tibhar rubber.

Ok, by contrast, I have a Viscaria with H3 neo and G-1 (same set up as my regular blade). I don't like it. When I loop, I don't feel the same feeling. I also have a Nittaku Acoustic carbon with Tenergy 05 fx on the forehand and Tenergy 64 fx on the backhand. I took it out to play doubles for 10 minutes the other day. No spin (at least that's how I feel) whatsoever because the ball just catapulted out of my blade. Sure, it looked really cool when I smashed a few balls. I just put it away after 10 minutes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
Thanks for the recommendation. Funny, I have a Butterfly ALC.S blade with Rozena 2.1 on both sides. I never gave it a chance. Do you think Fastarc G1 isn't too fast for my level?

I have a Korbel and an Innerforce Layer ALC.S.

According to BTY catalog, speed of Korbel is 10.7 and speed of Innerforce Layer ALC.S is 10.1

I can confirm this as I think Innerforce Layer ALC.S is indeed slower than Korbel.

And since Korbel is often recommended by lots of forum members here for beginners, then I believe a slower blade such as Innerforce Layer ALC.S is suitable then.

Regarding Fastarc 1G, I don't know as I have not used it. But if you have Rozena on both sides now, I think that it will be fine. Although I have not tried Rozena as well, but I read that it is frequently recommended for developing players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have a Korbel and an Innerforce Layer ALC.S.

According to BTY catalog, speed of Korbel is 10.7 and speed of Innerforce Layer ALC.S is 10.1

I can confirm this as I think Innerforce Layer ALC.S is indeed slower than Korbel.

And since Korbel is often recommended by lots of forum members here for beginners, then I believe a slower blade such as Innerforce Layer ALC.S is suitable then.

Regarding Fastarc 1G, I don't know as I have not used it. But if you have Rozena on both sides now, I think that it will be fine. Although I have not tried Rozena as well, but I read that it is frequently recommended for developing players.
I second that Korbel is a good blade. I don't own it. I have not used one. But a couple 2200-2300 level players use it. I borrowed one of their Korbel blades. It vibrates quite a bit. I only played with it for 2-3 minutes. It is just quite a bit different than Tibhar Stratus Power Wood that I use, which has almost no vibration.

One of my coaches insists that everyone should be using carbon blades due to 40+ mm plastic balls. I am not so sure. I think some people just do better with wood blade. With how fast Tenergy and Dignics are, once you slap those on many solid wood blades, the resultings paddles are very very fast.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Does it really matter what blade/rubbers to use? Is there a proper combo? Does it really matter or with proper practice is any combo ok?
Here is my take.

At the noob stage, most are clueless on how they will play, hence getting a all round set-up is logical to test the water. An all-round set up is usually a middle of everything because a noob does not know how his future self will play.

But when you are not so noob and begin to like to play a certain way, then, again, it is logical to seek out set-up that support a certain play-style.

As you progress beyond, and certain of your play-style and is fully committed to it, the one seeks a set-up to maximize that attributes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
No one will forbid you, but unless you train a lot, no one will recommend it either.
I second that. I even find Tenergy 05 fx to be a bit too fast for my taste.. If money is not a concern, go for it. Or else you might regret not trying it. But maybe start with fx version that has more control and then move up to the regular version. I have played with 64 fx and 80 fx on the backhand side before. I think 05 is just a better, do-it-all rubber than 64 and 80.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
My paddles don't have control. I do. My paddles are very different. I choose a paddle depending on my mood. I must adapt to the paddle.
This is interesting, I think I have been through a similar phase when I had several different paddles just to make things more challenging , not mood related but still .....
Of course no matter what I use for excuses in my case it is still a matter of me being a EJ 😁

My current (and last ) phase consists of me having all blades as close as possible with the same
characteristics and I choose a couple to go to a club night.

BTW, my inconsistency drop as I get tired. I can play well for about one hour and then I acquire a case of "ISuckAtThisItis".
Getting older sucks but it is better than the alternative.
Oh yes, I sure do know this phenomena 😁
I call it the "running out of Oxygen syndrome".
Good athletes know of course how important breathing during the exercise is but I never bothered. If we don't breath enough we do not feed the brain enough oxygen and slow down.

As for the getting old part, it does not really bother me much and when it comes to Table Tennis especially because I always sucked at it , still do and always will 😂

Or with the words of "dirty Harry" : "Man's got to know its limitations"

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think most people use T05 for BH rather than FH
I think before T05 hard came out or before Dignics came out, most people use T05 on the forehand and T64 on the backhand. T64 is more direct and better for hitting/blocking. Now Dignics and T05 hard came out, people are using those on the forehand and putting T05 on the backhand side now.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I think before T05 hard came out or before Dignics came out, most people use T05 on the forehand and T64 on the backhand. T64 is more direct and better for hitting/blocking. Now Dignics and T05 hard came out, people are using those on the forehand and putting T05 on the backhand side now.
btw I am switching to T05 for BH next week... 😉

Putting my money where my mouth is.