Edge or side

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I'm just trying to get my head around the edge or side issue.

This has happened a few times in the past, but I'll use yesterday as an example. I was playing a match and served very wide to my opponents fh (I do this quite often as I find most can't resist the round the net shot but usually fail) he then tried said round the net shot. To me and the umpire it hit the side, but my opponent and his supporters thought it hit the edge. The discussion was that the ball had gone up! Now I agree that if it goes drastically up it will have hit the edge, in this case it went slightly up.

My theory on it is, if you hit the ball upwards from under the table with a lot of Topspin, the ball will go upwards even if it hits the side!

Now don't ask me why, but I have a bat and ball at work and have just hit a topspin against a wall and it went up!! I know it doesn't exactly recreate the same shot but to me it does sort of prove my point.

I'd be interested in people's opinions on this.

Just incase anyone involved reads this I'm not saying it had any influence on the outcome of the match as I wasn't good enough on the day, and have no complaints about losing (that match at least) at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Logicallly, the topspin , or side top will go up if your point impact ( between the blade and the ball ) is below the level of the table even if it hits the side. So this theory of whether it went up or down needs a caveat and that is , it should be put in perspective of where the point of impact is. If the point of impact is above the level of the table and the ball goes down its surely hit the side and if it goes up, it surely hit the edge. But if the point of impact is below the level of the table you can't say. Just trying to recreate the scenario , we can say if there is a drastic change in the direction and velocity of the ball after hitting the table it probably hit the edge but otherwise not ( similar to when you hit the ball with the edge of the paddle instead of the face ) . I don't know if I am able to get my thoughts across, but that's pretty much my understanding. Any other ideas guys ?

Last edited:
Reactions: akonebrahim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
That's the way I see it as well. The ball was hit from lower than the table & the ball didn't bounce up drastically, which was why imo it was side.
I only brought this up because it seems most people assume that if it bounces up (even slightly) that it hit the edge. I was starting to think my theory was wrong!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk