The Dark Side is getting more and more tempting...

This user has no status.
  • With an ol'skool non-tensor European grippy and non-tacky rubber on my BH ( old semi worn out Joola Zack ), I went trotting along down to my regular club for my usual TT fix yesterday.
  • Surprise oh surprise! I managed to win a set each from three different old timers that we started the game from zero-zero, that is, no handicap points given.
  • I still lose to these old-timers in a match as a whole, but to win sets off them is a significant advancement for me.
  • I even won a set off an old uncle ( in his 70's ) who uses C-Pen with SP / LP twiddling style ( we started at nil all ) so it is a significant victory for me, although I still lost the match. I am happy with this result too. ===========================================
  • So what has changed?
  • With a non-tensor on my BH, there is a more linear play for me, hence better control. The ball does not shoot out like a bullet that fly here and there.
  • I can be more Laizes-faire aka nonchalantly and gently return the ball with my BH and wait for the next opportunity for my nuke-like FH.
  • With a regular tensor rubber one needs to precisely brush to ball to get the Magnus Effect to get the typical arc for modern offensive TT playstyle, even for the BH side. Like me, who does not have the best of BH, the tensor effect can have an unwanted side-effects of tensor.
  • I am now wondering if this ol'skool non-tensor rubber the holy-grail that I am looking for?=================================================
  • On the FH side, I love the massive-massive trampoline effect of tensor. I love it & I have no issue with it. It compliment for FH very much.
  • Give me tensor or give me death!!!
Yes, that works too. In fact if you use really old worn sheets of rubber they can behave like anti lol...

If you're not looping with massive topspin with a strong BH, the modern tensors are indeed a liability imo.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Yes, that works too. In fact if you use really old worn sheets of rubber they can behave like anti lol...

If you're not looping with massive topspin with a strong BH, the modern tensors are indeed a liability imo.
Just curious; are there still non-tensor Euro non tacky rubber around?

I checked with my usual vendor, non carry Joola Zack anymore.

Other than the usual suspect of Mark V, Sriver, any more?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Apart from that, it is amazing to watch you transitioning to the more spin oriented play, the new Gozo (TM) play...
For you my friend,

Gozo's baby-step towards more spin less hitting...

my favourite: Pivot & Attack

Last edited:
Reactions: latej
Reactions: Wrighty67