Enjoying Tensor to Hybrid transition. Should I go full tacky next?

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hurricane is not playable unless you boost with at least two fat layers, and then you still need to get a good sheet which has good inherent elasticity. If you get a junk H3 neo commercial then no amount of boosting is going to make it good.

H3 Neo was specifically made for boosting, and what they call a preboost is a joke.
You are very correct about the problem with sponge and topsheet adhesion such as bubbling.
That's why it is better to boost ESN rubber as their adhesion is a million times better than chinese made stuff.
'H3 is not playable unless you boost' is somewhat over stated!! maybe 41 degree hardness may be difficult, but many Tacky rubbers are 'playable' without boosting.
Of course boosting makes the rubber feel much nicer, adds some speed, and spin capability. So it's worth doing if you can handle the hassle.

Reactions: Kolev and Montaro
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hello all.

An Intermediate here. Have never played Chinese rubbers before, mainly because everyone suggested that I need high technique and full stroke and Chinese DNA.

Recently switched my FH from Rasanter R48 to Rakza Z. Enjoying the change. Don't mind applying the little bit extra power with the hybrid rubber. Really helping me with the short game and serve receives. Drives are a bit of a pain but blocking seems ok and chopping and looping seems better. I don't flat hit much with my FH. Even with just 4 hours of playing time, already getting me more points against those who used to easily beat me.

Taking into account the above, Can my next rubber be an H3 Neo Prov OS 39? Or just a commercial? I Don't mind going through the boosting procedure and rubber surface maintenance.

Has anyone experience a similar rubber progression? Does my thought process make sense?
You could try Rakza Z EH for FH, closer to H3 type rubber than RZ.
H3 is apparently now less tacky than it use to be. which has disappointed some H3 users.
H8-80 is worth a try, comes in 37 and 38 degree hardness, some feel the 38 is too soft for FH but I liked it, you can boost as well if you feel the need to, I didn't, it played fine.
Battle 2, (quite a few variations) is also good.
When you start boosting, should you choose to, you will probably experience some inconsistency with the results, but with more experience results should be less varied, worth noting that some sponges react better to one booster compared to another.

Reactions: Montaro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Bullshit, H3 neo is fully playable, and it’s NOT supposed to be boosted. The way it’s delivered makes this very obvious…

Even H3 is playable. You just need to break it in. Same thing with Friendship bloom power. I spent the last 9 months with these two rubbers and I love them.
H3 Neo I only tried but I can tell you I would never boost this. And to boost ESN rubbers is close to being fetish. I would never ever do this, a complete waste of time…

Cheers
L-zr
As usually...there truth lies somewhere in the middle ground.

When i switched to hurricane neo 3 from tenergy 05...i played with the rubber for 3 weeks unboosted. mind you, this was just a commerical 39 degree NEO 3. I was playing well enough and the rubber was good. when i swung hard, it was a very fast and low arching shot.

After 3 weeks, i put on two layers of seamoon booster and 2 layers of DHS #15 glue. The rubber itself expanded several MM outwards, and i had to recut the rubber to have it fit on my blade. The rubber then became more springy...i'm assuming because the rubber stretched creating a sort of tension effect on the rubber. I'm not sure if there was a noticeable difference in the spin capability..the rubber definitely felt a little softer using the "thumb pressing" test. It's been a over 8 weeks now and I haven't really noticed a drop off in performance of the rubber. I'm quite pleased so far with just this commercial version.

I bought a couple provincial hurricane NEO 3 that i'm waiting to try out after my tournament at the end of the month. One is OS and the other is BS. The OS is 40deg and the BS is 39. i ordered 39 dgree for the OS but the seller on Aliexpress (HWSPORT) sent me the wrong one and i was too lazy/indifferent to send back. i also have another regular commerical that i can throw on at any time i want. i think i'm set on forehand rubbers for the next couple years. all for about the same price as i spent on 1.5 sheets of tenergy lol.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

When i switched to hurricane neo 3 from tenergy 05...i played with the rubber for 3 weeks unboosted. mind you, this was just a commerical 39 degree NEO 3. I was playing well enough and the rubber was good. when i swung hard, it was a very fast and low arching shot.

After 3 weeks, i put on two layers of seamoon booster and 2 layers of DHS #15 glue. The rubber itself expanded several MM outwards, and i had to recut the rubber to have it fit on my blade. The rubber then became more springy...i'm assuming because the rubber stretched creating a sort of tension effect on the rubber. I'm not sure if there was a noticeable difference in the spin capability..the rubber definitely felt a little softer using the "thumb pressing" test. It's been a over 8 weeks now and I haven't really noticed a drop off in performance of the rubber. I'm quite pleased so far with just this commercial version.

I bought a couple provincial hurricane NEO 3 that i'm waiting to try out after my tournament at the end of the month. One is OS and the other is BS. The OS is 40deg and the BS is 39. i ordered 39 dgree for the OS but the seller on Aliexpress (HWSPORT) sent me the wrong one and i was too lazy/indifferent to send back. i also have another regular commerical that i can throw on at any time i want. i think i'm set on forehand rubbers for the next couple years. all for about the same price as i spent on 1.5 sheets of tenergy lol.
If you are going to boost, read some threads about boosting, sometimes one booster is better than another when boosting the different sponges. Good for blue, bad for orange and vice versa!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
If you are going to boost, read some threads about boosting, sometimes one booster is better than another when boosting the different sponges. Good for blue, bad for orange and vice versa!!
I read a lot of threads and posts about boosting. Also watched a ton of youtube videos. I determined it would worth it to try on my $26 rubber lol. I have been satisfied with the results so far. I will follow the same method when i try the blue sponge i have in my inventory- play for 2-3 weeks unboosted, then boost. Nothing to lose either, i bought the Prov BS for $33 on sale on Aliexpress (already authenticated on DHS website to be legit).

Reactions: blahness and IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

It is my experience exactly.

For a while I was transferring rubbers between blades to test out different blades. I would boost hurricane 2 layers and ESN 1 layer (like Xiom Vega Japan or Rakza 7 soft) etc. Each time I boosted those rubbers, they expanded a bit so I would need to cut the edge off.

I could also tell if I boosted my hurricane 3 or hurricane 3 neo enough or not by the way it catapulted. I never "over" boosted it, meaning none of my hurricane became "too soft" to the point of non-playable.

the boosting effects last at least 8 weeks or more. So I really really do not need to reboost any hurricane unless I am transferring it between rackets.

I have ESN rubbers that have been sitting around for like 1.5 years before I get around to it. So I always put one layer of booster on those sheets to make sure they come alive a bit.

I always always used Hurricane commercial orange sponge for 3-4 years. Really enjoyed it.

I recent got Hurricane provincial blue sponge via Aliexpress and it does seem to be of a bit higher quality. The top sheet is tackier and has more of the feel of the old hurricane.

Do I think it is worth the price difference? Commercial orange sponge v.s. Provincial blue sponge? It depends on your perspective. Commercial orange sponge from TT11 with 30% bulk discount is barely $18 a sheet. My Provincial blue sponge is $46 a sheet. If you don't have time, then buy a provincial blue sponge. If money is a concern $18 for commercial orange sponge is a very good deal. A couple sheets of commercials performed so well that people bought them off of me and asked me to peel them off my blades and sell it to them.

Overall, I just feel the provincial blue sponge is a bit harder and faster than commercial orange sponge, even both are supposedly 39 degree in hardness. I have not tried 40 degree or 41 degree so far so I have no opinion in that regard.

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
It is my experience exactly.

For a while I was transferring rubbers between blades to test out different blades. I would boost hurricane 2 layers and ESN 1 layer (like Xiom Vega Japan or Rakza 7 soft) etc. Each time I boosted those rubbers, they expanded a bit so I would need to cut the edge off.

I could also tell if I boosted my hurricane 3 or hurricane 3 neo enough or not by the way it catapulted. I never "over" boosted it, meaning none of my hurricane became "too soft" to the point of non-playable.

the boosting effects last at least 8 weeks or more. So I really really do not need to reboost any hurricane unless I am transferring it between rackets.

I have ESN rubbers that have been sitting around for like 1.5 years before I get around to it. So I always put one layer of booster on those sheets to make sure they come alive a bit.

I always always used Hurricane commercial orange sponge for 3-4 years. Really enjoyed it.

I recent got Hurricane provincial blue sponge via Aliexpress and it does seem to be of a bit higher quality. The top sheet is tackier and has more of the feel of the old hurricane.

Do I think it is worth the price difference? Commercial orange sponge v.s. Provincial blue sponge? It depends on your perspective. Commercial orange sponge from TT11 with 30% bulk discount is barely $18 a sheet. My Provincial blue sponge is $46 a sheet. If you don't have time, then buy a provincial blue sponge. If money is a concern $18 for commercial orange sponge is a very good deal. A couple sheets of commercials performed so well that people bought them off of me and asked me to peel them off my blades and sell it to them.

Overall, I just feel the provincial blue sponge is a bit harder and faster than commercial orange sponge, even both are supposedly 39 degree in hardness. I have not tried 40 degree or 41 degree so far so I have no opinion in that regard.
Dude HWSport puts the BS sponge on sale for lower $30s....thats how i got mine lol. Truly authentic too. I vacuum sealed it though. I'll probably bust it out to use some time this year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Dude HWSport puts the BS sponge on sale for lower $30s....thats how i got mine lol. Truly authentic too. I vacuum sealed it though. I'll probably bust it out to use some time this year.
I just checked about HWSport. Provincial blue sponge is priced at $50 or so right now on Aliexpress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Here's my contribution to this thread, which however should not be taken absolutely as an example.
I play in a local club taking part in a league, kind of amatorial level.
I started playing a couple of years ago (I used to play already 15 years ago but for a brief period).
Although, like anyone else, I want to improve my skills, my main goal is just having fun.
So, my technique is quite poor but I don't really mind.
Anyway, I initially was using Rakza Z both on FH and BH with a couple of different blades but both no carbon.
I like the rubber but many of my shots were flying away, especially when hitting with the FH.
There's no doubt that this was due to my very bad skills.
In the last months, I have been trying different rubbers and ended up using chinese hard sticky ones on the FH.
First Jupiter III Asia for some time and since two weeks ago I have been using Battle II prov Blue sponge (no boost).I love this rubber and I have found it easier to execute my FH shots (now most of them land on the opponent's side of the table and no longer out).
So I think I may be one of the few cases where playing with a hard chinese rubber works for a player with not great skills! (while you are actually supposed to have a good technique to operate these rubbers).
Ah, one thing I failed to mention! 6 months ago I changed grip, from shakehand to RPB penholder!
I know, it doesn't make sense, but who cares, I was just curious and I liked it; I just know that since I changed the grip I am having even more fun, which, as I mentioned above, is what really matters to me.
Ps: on BH I now play with soft rubbers; I have now settled with Focus 3 snipe, but also been using AK 47 blue

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Bullshit, H3 neo is fully playable, and it’s NOT supposed to be boosted. The way it’s delivered makes this very obvious…

Even H3 is playable. You just need to break it in. Same thing with Friendship bloom power. I spent the last 9 months with these two rubbers and I love them.
H3 Neo I only tried but I can tell you I would never boost this. And to boost ESN rubbers is close to being fetish. I would never ever do this, a complete waste of time…

Cheers
L-zr
What you say might be correct for low level club play. But upwards from upper intermediate players, it is not competitive. So if you are intermediate and below, you may disregard my opinion.

Also, saying never to boost ESN rubbers is absurdly funny. What do you do after 4-8 weeks when the factory booster evaporates, throw the rubber away? Or when you get a new sheet that has been sitting on the shelves for 1-2 years and has no factory boosting left? The obvious thing is to add the booster back that has evaporated. But you may play with the brick that is supposed to be "new" rubber, if your level is not enough to notice the difference.

There is no way to competitively play hard rubbers like dignics or 55 degree ESN hybrids without additional booster.
But if you are not at a level where you need such hard rubbers to play competitively then it does not matter what you use anyway. Just enjoy.

What you say might be correct for low level club play. But upwards from upper intermediate players, it is not competitive. So if you are intermediate and below, you may disregard my opinion.

Also, saying never to boost ESN rubbers is absurdly funny. What do you do after 4-8 weeks when the factory booster evaporates, throw the rubber away? Or when you get a new sheet that has been sitting on the shelves for 1-2 years and has no factory boosting left? The obvious thing is to add the booster back that has evaporated. But you may play with the brick that is supposed to be "new" rubber, if your level is not enough to notice the difference.

There is no way to competitively play hard rubbers like dignics or 55 degree ESN hybrids without additional booster.
But if you are not at a level where you need such hard rubbers to play competitively then it does not matter what you use anyway. Just enjoy.

1. Most ESN rubbers are NOT “factory boosted”
2. If you can’t handle the harness there is always a softer one.
3. The boosting does NOT evaporate. It is oil and dies not evaporate quickly. Take some of it and put in a bowl and you will see for yourself.

What booster does is that it basically destroys the sponge structure by dissolving it. What makes the appearance of evaporation is that this process takes time. It accelerates with mechanical influence. If you do not play the rubber it takes a long time. This is also why the boosted rubber appears to need a “play in” period.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Johnniedarko
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
I like the rubber but many of my shots were flying away, especially when hitting with the FH.
There's no doubt that this was due to my very bad skills.
[Snipped for brevity]
So I think I may be one of the few cases where playing with a hard chinese rubber works for a player with not great skills! (while you are actually supposed to have a good technique to operate these rubbers).
The typical Chinese rubbers (H3) are linear, so they are more predictable than a tensor rubber like Rakza Z. What's difficult about H3 is playing with of spin and power, you have to work for it with great technique. But if your technique isn't great, and your goal is firstly to get balls on the table, then H3 will be slower and more predictable and therefore easier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

Cheers
L-zr
How does Bloom Power change after a break in? I just used it for the first time and it feels a lot slower, less powerful and more 'hollow' feeling than Loki Arthur China. It's got a bit more spin and hold, but feels a bit weak still. I'm pretty sure I glued it properly, but was going to redo it anyway because of the hollow feeling.

Does your Bloom Power also make a high pitched cracking sound on contact too? The LAC has a more solid sounding contact.

How does Bloom Power change after a break in? I just used it for the first time and it feels a lot slower, less powerful and more 'hollow' feeling than Loki Arthur China. It's got a bit more spin and hold, but feels a bit weak still. I'm pretty sure I glued it properly, but was going to redo it anyway because of the hollow feeling.

Does your Bloom Power also make a high pitched cracking sound on contact too? The LAC has a more solid sounding contact.
I boosted it lightly and it definitely gets more powerful. I think it feels nice. But H3 is more powerful.

Cheers
L-zr

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews

Bloom Power on the first day is a bit dead, but the second day sponge gets more elastic, feels really nice to play. Too bad that state only last for about 1 month and I can notice the sponge degrades. LAC is more elastic, more powerful, easy to play. Too bad its cake sponge lasts even shorter than Bloom Power in my case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Bloom Power on the first day is a bit dead, but the second day sponge gets more elastic, feels really nice to play. Too bad that state only last for about 1 month and I can notice the sponge degrades. LAC is more elastic, more powerful, easy to play. Too bad its cake sponge lasts even shorter than Bloom Power in my case.
I mustve gotten lucky because my LAC has lasted 35 hours without any noticeable degradation in characteristics. It's still as tacky as the new sheet of Bloom Power too.

I'll break in the Bloom Power for a bit and see if that changes things. LAC at the moment feels both easier to play on medium shots and more powerful/dangerous on hard shots at the moment.

Reactions: longle
says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
I mustve gotten lucky because my LAC has lasted 35 hours without any noticeable degradation in characteristics. It's still as tacky as the new sheet of Bloom Power too.

I'll break in the Bloom Power for a bit and see if that changes things. LAC at the moment feels both easier to play on medium shots and more powerful/dangerous on hard shots at the moment.
Actually I prefer LAC than Rxton9, the RX9 topsheet is too sticky :( if I was lucky maybe LAC has been my most favorite non-DHS chinese rubber ever

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Actually I prefer LAC than Rxton9, the RX9 topsheet is too sticky :( if I was lucky maybe LAC has been my most favorite non-DHS chinese rubber ever
It's my favorite so far too out of all I've tried, even if I've only tried 7 or 8 FH rubbers. The only rubber that might have felt better was the 5 minutes I tried a HL5 with H3 Pro BS.

I still have a sheet of Rxton 9 and Battle 2 Pro BS to try. If any are anything similar to H3 blue then I'd probably enjoy it. But it seems like a durable LAC might be the best value rubber for me.

Reactions: longle