Enjoying Tensor to Hybrid transition. Should I go full tacky next?

This user has no status.
Hello all.

An Intermediate here. Have never played Chinese rubbers before, mainly because everyone suggested that I need high technique and full stroke and Chinese DNA.

Recently switched my FH from Rasanter R48 to Rakza Z. Enjoying the change. Don't mind applying the little bit extra power with the hybrid rubber. Really helping me with the short game and serve receives. Drives are a bit of a pain but blocking seems ok and chopping and looping seems better. I don't flat hit much with my FH. Even with just 4 hours of playing time, already getting me more points against those who used to easily beat me.

Taking into account the above, Can my next rubber be an H3 Neo Prov OS 39? Or just a commercial? I Don't mind going through the boosting procedure and rubber surface maintenance.

Has anyone experience a similar rubber progression? Does my thought process make sense?

I played with tenergy 05 on my FH for about 2 years and tenergy 19 on my backhand. i switched to Hurricane 3 on my forehand and i'm never going back. boosting is fun too!
I used to ruin my game with T05, I play much much better with H3 prov OS on my FH now. No problem with spin or speed at all, just need to hit harder. From position 3 it can be a challenge though but I rarely get there.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: IB66 and Montaro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
There is not much difference between a boosted chinese rubber and a hybrid rubber nowadays.
Just boost the shit out of a hurricane 3 until it becomes as fast as a hybrid.

But the QC of hurricanes is not good, so you might as well pay for a provincial, at which point you might as well buy a hybrid.

Unboosted is uncompetitive from a certain level onwards, so don't go there unless you only want to train with that.
Also, some hybrid rubbers are unplayable without boosting IMO. Mostly those harder than 52.5 degree

This user has no status.
There is not much difference between a boosted chinese rubber and a hybrid rubber nowadays.
Just boost the shit out of a hurricane 3 until it becomes as fast as a hybrid.

But the QC of hurricanes is not good, so you might as well pay for a provincial, at which point you might as well buy a hybrid.

Unboosted is uncompetitive from a certain level onwards, so don't go there unless you only want to train with that.
But is a hybrid as good as a boosted provincial?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Hello all.

An Intermediate here. Have never played Chinese rubbers before, mainly because everyone suggested that I need high technique and full stroke and Chinese DNA.

Recently switched my FH from Rasanter R48 to Rakza Z. Enjoying the change. Don't mind applying the little bit extra power with the hybrid rubber. Really helping me with the short game and serve receives. Drives are a bit of a pain but blocking seems ok and chopping and looping seems better. I don't flat hit much with my FH. Even with just 4 hours of playing time, already getting me more points against those who used to easily beat me.

Taking into account the above, Can my next rubber be an H3 Neo Prov OS 39? Or just a commercial? I Don't mind going through the boosting procedure and rubber surface maintenance.

Has anyone experience a similar rubber progression? Does my thought process make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Try the H3 prov H39 BS or OS, doesn't matter for now. If you like the feeling, use it. You can then decide whether you'd like harder or not. It's about your own preference, nothing else. You've choosen the H39 correctly, going from Rakza Z. Cheers.

Reactions: Montaro
This user has no status.
Reading your post and reactions, I'd say welcome to the dark side 😂

Being serious, yes you should try it, but I would suggest not starting with a Hurricane 3, especially not a provincial one. I'd save that for another step up, trying other Chinese (semi-)tacky rubbers first.

Yinhe Jupiter III, Yinhe Big Dipper, Friendship Bloom Power, Loki Rxton 3 and 5 are all fun options to try when dipping your toes into Chinese tacky rubbers. I personally recommend the Loki Rxton 3 Pro to give a try, enjoying it a lot at the moment!

When I switched I played similar hardness EU rubbers as you did and I would suggest not starting too soft on the sponge, like I did. For FH I would recommend starting on 39 hardness.

Have fun!

This user has no status.
Reading your post and reactions, I'd say welcome to the dark side 😂

Being serious, yes you should try it, but I would suggest not starting with a Hurricane 3, especially not a provincial one. I'd save that for another step up, trying other Chinese (semi-)tacky rubbers first.

Yinhe Jupiter III, Yinhe Big Dipper, Friendship Bloom Power, Loki Rxton 3 and 5 are all fun options to try when dipping your toes into Chinese tacky rubbers. I personally recommend the Loki Rxton 3 Pro to give a try, enjoying it a lot at the moment!

When I switched I played similar hardness EU rubbers as you did and I would suggest not starting too soft on the sponge, like I did. For FH I would recommend starting on 39 hardness.

Have fun!
Jupiter 3 and battle 2 were on my list when I chose to play it safe with Rakza Z.

Reactions: riemsesy
But is a hybrid as good as a boosted provincial?
Do not boost “the shit out it”. It’s a waste.
H3 wants to be boosted a bit.
H3 neo is preboosted from factory and has a layer of glue already on it so it’s not supposed to be boosted.

For orange sponge Two thin layers is plenty. It reacts and curve real good. Two problems with overboosting. Top layer separation from sponge and it may take ages for the curl to go down. This makes it hellish to glue.

Cheers
L-zr

Tiz

This user has no status.

Tiz

This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I started playing only 3 years ago, so my experience is limited but H3 gives you a very particular feel and feed-back, other than the tackiness. There are people who don't like that feel, and people (like me) who love it, especially on FH, probably because of the dwell time; for BH I do like tensors as well. Also tacky Chinese rubbers kinda force you to improve your FH technique. To me H3's only downside id smashing and flat hitting, not only because it's slower than a tensor rubber but because I find it a bit unpredictable in the throw angle, in my experience this happens less with harder versions of H3 (for example Nittaku's H3 8701)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Do not boost “the shit out it”. It’s a waste.
H3 wants to be boosted a bit.
H3 neo is preboosted from factory and has a layer of glue already on it so it’s not supposed to be boosted.

For orange sponge Two thin layers is plenty. It reacts and curve real good. Two problems with overboosting. Top layer separation from sponge and it may take ages for the curl to go down. This makes it hellish to glue.

Cheers
L-zr
Hurricane is not playable unless you boost with at least two fat layers, and then you still need to get a good sheet which has good inherent elasticity. If you get a junk H3 neo commercial then no amount of boosting is going to make it good.

H3 Neo was specifically made for boosting, and what they call a preboost is a joke.
You are very correct about the problem with sponge and topsheet adhesion such as bubbling.
That's why it is better to boost ESN rubber as their adhesion is a million times better than chinese made stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
After a couple of months with this Rakza Z, will try boosting it one layer and give it a go.
You can try that but Rakza Z is a rubber without much elasticity in its sponge, you may consider something more modern that plays well out of the package and is not a brick such as Tibhar K3. I suggest reboosting on old rubbers to enhance their lifespan from 3-4 months to 6-8 months.

Reactions: Montaro
Hurricane is not playable unless you boost with at least two fat layers, and then you still need to get a good sheet which has good inherent elasticity. If you get a junk H3 neo commercial then no amount of boosting is going to make it good.

H3 Neo was specifically made for boosting, and what they call a preboost is a joke.
You are very correct about the problem with sponge and topsheet adhesion such as bubbling.
That's why it is better to boost ESN rubber as their adhesion is a million times better than chinese made stuff.
Bullshit, H3 neo is fully playable, and it’s NOT supposed to be boosted. The way it’s delivered makes this very obvious…

Even H3 is playable. You just need to break it in. Same thing with Friendship bloom power. I spent the last 9 months with these two rubbers and I love them.
H3 Neo I only tried but I can tell you I would never boost this. And to boost ESN rubbers is close to being fetish. I would never ever do this, a complete waste of time…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: NextLevel and IB66