Fang Bo takes on USA

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Fang Bo probably wanted Peter to take charge of the game and try to win it. Fang could easily finished him off very quickly, but it won't be good for Peter's development. Most of the time, I saw that Peter was trying to do the difficult stuff instead of doing the basics well. He gave too many points away. He also must remember that he was playing with a world class player, the player who destroyed Timo once.

Fang was just keeping the ball in play, Peter could just stuck with him in a rally and take his chances during these rallies, instead of trying to finish Fang early. Peter probably never faced super under spin which these world players can exert on a ball.

I think Peter was trying to win the game too hard, rather than enjoying the match and taking his chances only when the opportunity presents itself. Nevertheless, it was indeed a wonderful experience for Peter.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
So there is this thread, The Impossible Shot,

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...The-impossible-shot&highlight=impossible+shot

and of course the shot is not impossible, or how could there be a video of it. But it is a great name for the thread and it is a really amazing shot. So: "Fang Bo takes on USA": do you get it? Silly that someone would try and turn something like that into an argument. I love the name and I love seeing Fang Bo playing against players from the USA.

Dan, I could not agree with you more. How cool would it be to show up to a tournament and find out you are up against Fang Bo or Zhang Chao? When I got to play (Kevin) Can Wang it was awesome. He beat me 3, 3, 2 and it made no difference to me. I got to play against a 2500 level player and I played really well. I know he was not playing hard but it was a fun fun ride getting to trade loops with him. I even got to do my Waldner angle block off one of his loops that he ripped at me and I caught him off guard. :) I wish I could see that on video. His expression after was great too. And he was a total gentlemen playing me. So how cool would it be to play someone from the Chinese national team?

Yeah true Carl :)

I like the name impossible shot, as to be honest its one of the rarest shots to be caught on video. So its close to being impossible, however its been achieved :)... Its a good eye sttraction to, hence why it has over 10.000 thread views :)

Playing a full match from someone in the Chinese National team would be a dream! Okay, I played with Ma Lin in the training hall, but taking on serious points with him would be crazy cool! :)

Haha great to know you produced your best shot against him! You should record your matches in future so you don't miss out on these opportunities Carl.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Fang bo has got some serious backspin serve happening there. Poor Pace pushing into the net almost every receive. Good luck at the olympics. He looked relaxed which is more than I could do when I played Henzel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Peter Li is not a top American Player. He is a top Junior and U21 player, but there are several older players that beat him quite often. Brian Pace switched to Short pips on the backhand which in my opinion was a mistake. He felt that he was a stronger player when he played pips back in the 90's but I think he fails to realize the sport has changed since he was playing with pips.

Also to say he takes on USA would also be incorrect, because this is a 4 star event inviting international players. He does however play some US Teams, but they are not representing the US as this is a club based team event.

All I have to say is that Xu Xin came to the Baltimore Teams event and won it. This was right before he started to rise as a star in the Pro Tour so I'm wondering if this is Fang Bo's chance to take it to the big leagues?

xu xin was never at the teams but i do think fang bo can break into the top 15, very very soon

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Whoa someone switched to T25. Interesting :). As for arguing, I just meant that a lot of teams were there and it's not really an American Tournament it's meant to be an international tournament was what I was pointing out.

Alex Table Tennis is the company that sponsors Mytabletennis.net and I believe that they were selling the jerseys that people were using. I know that they have brought Chinese National players in the past, but having separate teams sponsored by them I'm not too sure about. A lot of players have played wearing the AlexTT jersey, Brian Pace, Xavier Therian, and Peter Li were all wearing Alex Jerseys at one point and time in the tournament, but I'm not too sure about their being sponsored by them. In the past I believe they've brought over Xu Xin as well at a Teams event. This would have been right before he became a rising star in the Pro Tour.

And playing someone who's 2500 via US rating to me is not as impressive as someone who's literally off the charts on our scale much like WLQ and MLin are (2900+). The reason I say this is that our highest rated U.S. players rate I believe at or below the 1500 level internationally. I believe Yiyong Fan is somewhere around 1500 while players like Adam Hugh and Michael Landers are around 1300. It just shows how much we really need to grow to catch up to the world class levels that Europe and Asia produce.

I just also have to add that Fang Bo was really taking it easy on some players. I noticed that he stood up really straight for players he was taking it easy on when serving and returning making his service a bit higher and his return as well.

Yup, Richard is Korreckt. MyTT forum owner Alex Li created an ELITE team to dominate the procedings with the expected result - they gave punta to Div 1 field. Yet, Alex sponsored MANY teams for that event, Baltimore Teams, which is the most fun tournament + ability to compete vs great players you will ever find in the US of A. I post a bit at MyTT (Under a different User name) (Any regular there knows me and my alter-identity for the rest of the forums I post at)

It was uber cool that MyTT did this for a USA tourney. I have a blast going to war for club and individual glory anytime I walk into a regional or national toruney here, but the Blatimore Teams is an entirely differnent animal that is unmatched for amatures, semi pros, and pros.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Fang Bo probably wanted Peter to take charge of the game and try to win it. Fang could easily finished him off very quickly, but it won't be good for Peter's development. Most of the time, I saw that Peter was trying to do the difficult stuff instead of doing the basics well. He gave too many points away. He also must remember that he was playing with a world class player, the player who destroyed Timo once.

Fang was just keeping the ball in play, Peter could just stuck with him in a rally and take his chances during these rallies, instead of trying to finish Fang early. Peter probably never faced super under spin which these world players can exert on a ball.

I think Peter was trying to win the game too hard, rather than enjoying the match and taking his chances only when the opportunity presents itself. Nevertheless, it was indeed a wonderful experience for Peter.

Haha, Fang had Peter controlled like puppet strings and could have won the match easily a hundred different ways. For Peter, it was like he was Fred Flinstone (from teh cartoons) Nothing he could do except shout Yabba, dabba, Doo. Against a player with this much of a gulf in playing level, there is not a lot he can realisically expect to do. the pressure Fang puts on him by the very (unused, but still potent) ability to put away points or give balls that are extremely low percentage chances, is way too much for Peter or any current USA player.

I do not fault Peter at all. He could have chosen to relax, enjoy his fun and play around. I better respect his decision to try his best to put away the first chance or try to take charge early in the point, even if it was doomed from the onset to failure. Warriors do not give up or accept defeat, but TT warriors do their best then deal with how the chips fall, pick themselves up and go back into the fight.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Fang Bo and Zhang Chao now have USATT ratings. They are off the Charts:

Player Name...........Rating Before...................Rating After

Fang, Bo.........................0................................2853

Zhang, Chao....................0................................2876

Here is also the rating of the top 21 (I added the 21st because Liu Gouliang is #21) listed who have a USATT rating:

1 Kong, Linghui---2911---7/6/2002
2 Wang, Liqin---2907---7/6/2002
3 Kim, Taek Soo---2903---7/9/2000
4 Ma, Lin---2899---7/6/2002
5 Zhang, Chao---2876---11/27/2011
6 Kreanga, Kalinikos---2871---11/25/2001
7 Waldner, Jan Ove ---2870---7/4/2004
8 Samsonov, Vladimir---2868---7/10/2005
9 Liu, Guozheng---2866---7/6/2002
10 Huang, Johnny---2860---7/4/2004
11 Florea, Vasile---2858---7/6/1997
12 Grujic, Slobodan---2857---7/4/2004
13 Qin, Zhijian---2856---7/6/2002
14 Fang, Bo---2853---11/27/2011
15 Chiang, Peng-Lung---2852---7/4/2004
16 Cheung, Yuk---2843---7/6/2002
17 Zhao, Peng---2841---11/28/2004
18 Hakansson, Fredrik---2841---7/4/2004
19 Qiu, Yi Ke---2840---11/28/1999
20 Chuan, Chih-Yuan---2836---7/10/2005
21 Liu, Guoliang---2836---7/6/2002

The date after the rating is when the played last in a USATT tournament. So Zhang Chao has a higher USATT rating than Kreanga, Waldner and Samsonov, and Fang Bo has a higher rating than Liu Gouliang. :)

It is funny, when someone is so good that they do not lose any matches the USATT rating system does not quite know what to do with them.