Glue usage reduction šŸ˜

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Does anyone else glue only there where the blade will attach to the rubber?
20240128_201343526_iOS(1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mssousa01 and Fnub
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
The closest I've gone is missing a corner where I'm holding onto the rubber haha

• Love
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This method likely started with Jpen blades, which is much easier to line up.
When I was a kid, I seen people actually cut out the sheet, then glue, then put on, and it was perfect.

if one wants to save some glue, at least go wider over the line.
you want the sponge to absorb enough glue, you don't want the line/edge to be under glued

I know some people who with glue the whole sheet, but leave the areas "outside" the line, pretty rough, or with spot missing. So same theory, but still goes over the line by quite a bit.

For most other, the glue applicator sponge is so wet, you can go over without adding more glue (since the glue is on the applicator already)

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Slightly off topic - but made sense to add to this disscussion rather than start a new one. I recently rewatched the Timo gluing vid, and noticed some bits i didnt register before.

Hes quite generous with how much glue goes on. But equally says he waited 2hrs before attaching. Does anyone wait that long?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Slightly off topic - but made sense to add to this disscussion rather than start a new one. I recently rewatched the Timo gluing vid, and noticed some bits i didnt register before.

Hes quite generous with how much glue goes on. But equally says he waited 2hrs before attaching. Does anyone wait that long?
interesting disucssion

many people use cold air hairdryer to dry, so there is no wait at all (or using a fan to blow on)
then you get some that really air dry it for a long

I believe there are pros and cons on both ends, and I can't really confirm what is better and I have glued thousands of rubbers between both methods

I have also let 1st layer air dry, go and do my thing
come back put 2nd layer and hairdryer dry.
the bond there I think is good.

A lot of pros use hairdryer - but then again, they reglue every few weeks (maybe even weekly)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
I have a cat, a chinchilla and 2 children at home, I cannot leave my rubber and blade on a table for that long, something will definitely happen :) And I don't see any reason why I should do this. 10-15 minutes is usually enough, probably I'm not that paranoic or maybe I just don't feel my racket well enough to tell the difference between 15 minutes drying and 2 hours drying

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I have a cat, a chinchilla and 2 children at home, I cannot leave my rubber and blade on a table for that long, something will definitely happen :) And I don't see any reason why I should do this. 10-15 minutes is usually enough, probably I'm not that paranoic or maybe I just don't feel my racket well enough to tell the difference between 15 minutes drying and 2 hours drying

Haha I know what you mean - I always wait for my little one to go to bed before gluing as he always wants to 'help' :)
The time is really intriguing as its so long- is there a too long point? Also i find interesting in Dima's glue video (pretty similar approach) he doesn't use a hairdryer and says it changes the properties and waits for it to dry naturally. Both also use scissors and leave a little extra from the blade and use edge tape on one side.

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023

Noooo. He knows playing table tennis but he isnā€™t a glue master!! Donā€™t believe him. You have to be a ttd member recognized as ej-victim.

But seriously. There is no sense in waiting that long. When the glue is dry it will attach the two parts together. My daughter (chemist student) explained it as chemical
Velcro.