Good tabletennis shoes

There is a difference between saying: "these shoes work for me." and: "try these, they are the best thin soled shoes for table tennis."

A tennis shoe, a basketball shoe, that would be fine. An indoor soccer shoe, a badminton shoe, a volleyball shoe, those would be fine.

If Mog likes the MERRELL BAREFOOT TRAIL RUNNING shoe for himself it is fine. If you watch him play, you can sort out why they actually might be fine. I know a guy who is quite a good player who used to play in a different version of barefoot shoes. They were fine for him too. But shoes like that would likely not be good for anyone who moves more.

Here is a line from the description of the Merrell shoe: "This barefoot shoe has a sock-like feel for a locked-down fit,"

It is meant for "barefoot" running outdoors, on trails.

All I will say is think about it.

And understand the difference between saying, "these work for me," and "these are good for table tennis."

"General purpose textile sneakers" would probably work better for TT for most people than those Merrell barefoot trail running sneakers.

Yes, you are right.

But just maybe you have to rethink about "This barefoot shoe has a sock-like feel for a locked-down fit,"
It is meant for "barefoot" running outdoors, on trails.""
"Barefoot locked-down fit" is very common in Martial Arts, MA are usually held indoors. And yes, I'm an exMA fighter and maybe it stamps on the subject.
I've never said that such shoes Might feel Best for All Players.
But not so long ago All TT players were playing just and only with such kind of shoes.
Frankly said I wonder why all are asking about, lets say Waldner's equipment , meaning blade and rubbers, but not shoes.
There was a time when The Romika International Table Tennis Shoes 1970 edition were just a dream for many.
And if we just dare to look from a different angle, we might say that such shoes are the Right ones, and the "newly developed well-cussioned" should be only for players with some problems.
But I'm not saying that.

Anyway, Cheers Everybody and Happy Christmas to Everyone :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
This is an old thread but if you haven't solved your problem, you might want to consider shoes intended for volleyball players, especially if you are tall. Many of these have grip on the bottom similar to TT shoes (good ones are made by Asics and Adidas). They may protect your feet from impact a bit better than TT shoes, although they are a little bit heavier. Here in the US Jimmy Butler uses them. He is very tall and a bit injury prone and can't wear TT shoes. I have a pair and they seem really durable. I can use TT shoes without hurting myself (I like Stiga Instinct) but at the first sign of foot problems would switch to the volleyball shoes.

This is very good advice. I got myself a pair of Mizuno Wave Hurricanes (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mizuno-Hur...lor-Whiteblacksilver/dp/B071WC836D/ref=sr_1_8) back in April 2018 after you mentioned on mytt and could not be happier since. Much better at impact protection than TT shoes and still like new (after playing 3-4 times a week on avg).