Help choosing a custom racket

This user has no status.
I came into this thread 3 times so far, got tons of notifications mails because I commented very early on. Did read some of the emails
Surprised that this thread is now 57 replies long.

I noticed 2 things

1) Mostly recommend wood/controlable equipment, but then OP wants ALC (super expensive Butterfly blades - designed for high skilled players)
2) Aliexpress and OP is willing to try out fake blades.

I hope OP isn't a troll....there is just so much things wrong with this thread and so many forum members that is wanting to assist, but seems like are begging OP not to make the same mistake by many ignorant members in the past.

My advice - more then enough is said already, let OP decide, and he if wants to go and buy for aliexpress or ebay or what ever other 3rd party sellers.
Even go for Super ZLC blades with top of the ranking rubbers.
He will know if it was a good choice - after he tested it.
The best way to learn is to walk the path (thrown in the deep end they say)

My 2nd advice, there are few word class reputable resellers - go find 5 and compare pricing.
TT is not a ripoff business from the shops (but rather from brands like Butterfly)
If any pricing is too good to be true, then avoid it. Ie QC failed equipment put into assembled bats at reduced price

Thanks for your post, no comment!!!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@passifid, you don't need to appologize for anything. You think what you think and communicate that, I do the same. My opinions are not law and Dan @TTD can kick my tail so hard when he chooses I would be floating in hte ionosphere requiring assistance from the next Space Shuttle Mission to get me back to New York.

I should appologize for making you feel you need to publically appologise and feel like your opiinion isn't of the same value as anyone else's opinion.

You are prolly a better person for being the first to yield or show ettiequette first, that is a term Der_Echte doesn't spell to well. If you know me better and are on the forum longer, it wouldn't be an issue. Everyone who is long term here knows how I feel and talk, but whatever I say will not be backed up by a military strike. My opinion is like the proverbial A-Hole and it can stink as much as the next one.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tareq, you haven't been on this forum long and do not know Tony at all. That is OK. Believe it or not, Tony is a lot more strongly opinionated than Der_Echte... that is hard to accept as I got some strong opinions. Tony came at you kinda aggressive (by standard of reasonable person) but you gotta consider what he has posted about and what he has seen here and knows. You also showed good judgment by being diplomatic in your response.

He (Tony) sees some things going on (I think he does) that have strong indicators of trolling. Trollers do exactly what you are doing, ask something, then carry it on and on. However, I do not think in your case this is so, I think it is something different.

Personally, I do not think you are trolling, but consciously or subconsciously, I think you place very high value on premium brand and reputation of performance. That is what high end marketing does, and it does its job very well. There are SO MANY possible suitable blades for you oput there, we could not talk about all of them in a decade. This HIGH number of potential blades obviously places some confusion on the average player who doesn't have a ton of experience with equipment. As much experience I got (and I DO have a LOT), I have not personally tried 1/2 of the possible equipemnt out there. So... I don't know it all, but I got strong opinions that are founded in what I consider to be good logic and judgment. There is nothing wrong with narrowing down your choices to something suitable and small in number, that is practical.

You have gotten a lot of good advice from many posters and you have continued to be this and that about the BTY line. That is OK, you are you and you will choose what you like and hopefully, it will suit you. As much high $$$ most of those blades are, almost any one of those could work for you with a modern control rubber and frequent coaching/training.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Two things, I do think TTTony has a real valid point. I was thinking there was something wrong here from the get-go which is why I started my comments not taking the thread seriously. I decided I may as well keep commenting as much because I was entertained as anything else. But I do realize there is something off here.

BTW: I think one of the points Der_Echte was making on his tirade, which I was entertained by, was that, regardless of whether you do the "right thing" and get the All Wood, Off- setup with classic rubbers that is usually recommended and most useful for a beginner or instead get an expensive, fast, fancy offensive ALC blade with Tenergy and Hurricane, most people....almost everyone, EITHER WAY, will end up with crapy strokes and bad technique if they don't invest in some quality training from qualified coaches.

Table tennis is a very technical sport and game. Without working with some people who know what they are doing it is hard to realize that what you are doing isn't optimal and once you have the bad habits it is even harder to change them.

So the equipment that a beginner gets may not be as important as whether they start with some decent coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
And why i said Butterfly because i don't need to go from simple or cheap or beginner blades to higher ones, i did really tried Betterfly in the past but wasn't mine and it was shiny, and i was dreaming to buy one, but that time i was in university studying and didn't have money by my own and i wasn't thinking of TT as my goal or continuing in it, but i really did use Butterfly racket in the past and i was really good in it, i did manage to have the 3rd place in a tournament happened in the university and i played against many different players including very good ones, but i lost to the best player that time in semi final, so i couldn't manage even to be in second place because of him, so i know about rackets a bit in the past, that was in 2002, so even back that time i was using a Butterfly which wasn't belong to me, i was using a Stiga cheap from a store and it served me a bit but once i hold Butterfly i didn't stop, so i know why i defend or my heart goes with Butterfly, and i can shine with many other rackets brands too, but this will make me to open it to even hundreds of choices, so why not keep it to one brand regardless of what you all say?

Now i may understand that Butterfly is very expensive, so is that the only problem with Butterfly? that it is so expensive so it is a waste of money? believe me, if i bought the most expensive Butterfly and i couldn't play well i will never cry or feel sad, because i know 10000% that it is my fault not the racket itself. Also i kept saying that there are many models of BTY, i listed few even that most expensive, but i never said or decided i will only buy that most expensive, then i don't need to come here and ask, but i have feeling people thinking i am only want the most expensive Butterfly racket in the market and i only want to waste money, even Chinese rackets have expensive models and i can go buy one then what will be different between buying say $150 BTY blade and $200 Chines blade, is that all attack of my posts because of the hate to BTY by you? It is like i ask to buy a sports car and i choose Ferrari brand then many here telling me that is crazy idea and i should go for slower cars or even not Ferrari for sports and go with maybe GT or something much cheaper but fast enough, so why not Ferrari? and are all Ferrari models very very fast at same value?

Well, maybe i feel sorry i started to ask about custom racket first place when my mind was set up for Butterfly, in fact even the coach told me that Butterfly is the best but i am not ready, so he also agree that BTY is top quality, and he told me when i'll improv a lot then i should move to BTY, why to move to BTY when i improve later if there are many models better or at least same quality as BTY? but anyway, from my point i see that money is the main factor here before the performance or level, i am sure if that Butterfly is cheap then it will be a first choice or will be there to start with alongside the other brands, but because it is expensive many trying with me to avoid it until i am ready then upgrade to it.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Two things, I do think TTTony has a real valid point. I was thinking there was something wrong here from the get-go which is why I started my comments not taking the thread seriously. I decided I may as well keep commenting as much because I was entertained as anything else. But I do realize there is something off here.

BTW: I think one of the points Der_Echte was making on his tirade, which I was entertained by, was that, regardless of whether you do the "right thing" and get the All Wood, Off- setup with classic rubbers that is usually recommended and most useful for a beginner or instead get an expensive, fast, fancy offensive ALC blade with Tenergy and Hurricane, most people....almost everyone, EITHER WAY, will end up with crapy strokes and bad technique if they don't invest in some quality training from qualified coaches.

Table tennis is a very technical sport and game. Without working with some people who know what they are doing it is hard to realize that what you are doing isn't optimal and once you have the bad habits it is even harder to change them.

So the equipment that a beginner gets may not be as important as whether they start with some decent coaching.

Sent from my Bat-Phone using Tapatalk

What ???!!!! ME ???!!! Tirade ???!!!

:D

I guess TTD members have come to expect a lot outta me.

OP, any of those blades can work for you, what would be cool is if you actually get one of those, enjoy it, and post about it with a lot of pics.

This user has no status.
By the way, if i had the money that time when i met the coach and if he didn't try to test me then i will buy Butterfly right away, because he immediately show me Butterfly blades and rubbers and ask me to choose, but i was stupid maybe and told him i don't know which one, that is where he asked me to test me, if i am a beginner, why did he showed me Butterfly first place?

And also, i felt he just wanting to do business things more than helping for real, he asking to coach me in much more cost than that of Butterfly blade, so if i can afford the blade then i can't afford his coaching lessons, so, i decided i will spend more on the blade and i don't want to come to him because it will cost me a lot more than only his training hours, he does it far away from my city and i need also to pay for car fuel, and that is only training, if i want to play with others there or tournament then i must pay for membership, so everything with them is by money, i am sorry, i will buy expensive racket in this case and play in university with beginners/intermediate players/students for free and have fun, i don't plan to get into any tournaments or challenging pros or higher level players or being in a team, so why i pay him to teach me then do nothing? my life doesn't help me to have competitions or be part of championships events, so i don't need to have a coach for no future goal, and for now i don't think i really want to be part of TT events, only play with normal regular players, and i will love to have Butterfly to spend time using it anyway, and again, i am not thinking to buy the most expensive blade, but between paying the coach or buying the most expensive racket i will go with the second choice, and that is me, no need to put it in rude negative sarcastic way to me.

This user has no status.

OP, any of those blades can work for you, what would be cool is if you actually get one of those, enjoy it, and post about it with a lot of pics.

Is that answer for me in a good way or sarcastic way? what is your point by posting about it with a lot of pics?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The equipment you are choosing is fine. I don't think anyone said there is anything wrong with Butterfly. Butterfly has lots of good equipment for starting out.

The Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC that you are interested in is also fine. So are the H3 and T05 that you want to get as rubbers. It is not a traditional setup for a beginner. But maybe you are not a beginner. If it really makes you like playing to have that go ahead and get it. Truthfully, even for a beginner that could be a setup that works if they start with good coaching.

But what you are is a strange and argumentative person. And it does look like it could be an act to get people riled up, or like you just can't read well and like to argue when you don't understand something.

Perhaps there is a language barrier. In any case, good luck. I hope you get something you like. There is nothing wrong with spending $300.00 on a racket setup, especially if it gets you excited about playing.

But you don't need to argue with everyone because people here are only trying to help you.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tareq, I am with you, crappy pre-mades suck for a reason, and for some crazy reason, REAL TT bats are not available easily in many parts of the modern world... and that is sad. I see this ALL the time in Facebook "Table Tennis" group, often from India and Middle East countries... what is amazing, is mnay of these countries produce Top 100 WR players, and USA produces... what it produces, mostly GMO corn products.

This user has no status.

seconded, a beautiful bat is a beautiful bat
@der_echte thank you for the kind message :). I've come out of my bunker due to a promise of no Ariel bombardments ;) (especially from the ionosphere that's what the whole space race was about right?)
now on topic.
especially if you decide in the end to go for a timo based one, they make me more happy then errm, a piece of wood should??
you seem determined to get the best of the best so just make sure to make us all as jealous as possible! and enjoy!

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, come on William, another tirade would be awesome fun.

Tareq, Der_Echte is the guy who gave the whole story about the kid who started out as a beginner with a Viscaria, Tenergy and Hurricane. See, why do you start out so argumentatively.

ANY OF THOSE BLADES CAN WORK FOR YOU.

But you are getting too worked up.

This user has no status.
The equipment you are choosing is fine. I don't think anyone said there is anything wrong with Butterfly. Butterfly has lots of good equipment for starting out.

The Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC that you are interested in is also fine. So are the H3 and T05 that you want to get as rubbers. It is not a traditional setup for a beginner. But maybe you are not a beginner. If it really makes you like playing to have that go ahead and get it. Truthfully, even for a beginner that could be a setup that works if they start with good coaching.

But what you are is a strange and argumentative person. And it does look like it could be an act to get people riled up, or like you just can't read well and like to argue when you don't understand something.

Perhaps there is a language barrier. In any case, good luck. I hope you get something you like. There is nothing wrong with spending $300.00 on a racket setup, especially if it gets you excited about playing.

But you don't need to argue with everyone because people here are only trying to help you.

Sure language could be a reason for misunderstanding, this happens even in another sites i post in for other stuff for example photography, but even in computer forums, and know what, it is always people trying hard with me to avoid expensive or top quality always unless i have money or i am ready, so it is like people thinking either i am poor or no budget enough or just novice dummy and i just look for top or expensive from start, but when i do and show them i am very happy they just understand, but i don't blame them, maybe they think all people are asking for something simple or cheaper then upgrade later.

Also i didn't try to show what is going on with me from beginning, and from posts or answers i've got here or other sites i felt people trying to make me confusing when they think i don't listen to them or don't follow their advise, for example when i ask about a blade then they told me go with this certain brand, and when i tell them no i want that other brand, then they keep giving me many recommendations without knowing my real need or looking for and at the end they say: " Ok, we give up, buy whatever you want, enjoy it" or: "We are done with you, you are playing games, you are a spam or a troll, you are wasting time, why you are here? ask somewhere else.....etc"

So, i am sorry and apologize if my way of talking/posting here showing me how arrogant i am or i am weird or stubborn or whatever, but i really didn't mean that and i just started to read more and more about blades or rackets and felt i will never end up with a conclusion, only conclusion i may find is to buy whatever and test it and then go from there, members here or anywhere will just keep giving recommendations based on their experiences which may or may not meet mine, and not always they right choices could be the same for me, i prefer to buy wrong thing by myself and blame myself than i follow any of you and when it didn't help i come back and attack all for wrong advise or trying to blame you because of my disappointment, but please, don't make it as i am just playing a game here or not making things good, i want to be a friend before anything.

Also, i hope you can guide me to other things such as videos about different moves or positions of playing or lessons or mistakes or whatever, all these may help me even when i choose whatever racket, keep this thread aside and i feel sorry for my beginning in this forum but hope it will grow to a better participating from me here when necessary.

By the way, who is your favorite player you like to watch playing? Sure i like Chinese players, but difficult to pick one, they are all good, i was choosing Ma Long, then changed to Xu Xin then i went back to Ma Lin watching his past records, I also like some of Europeans players too, what about you?

This user has no status.
Oh, come on William, another tirade would be awesome fun.

Tareq, Der_Echte is the guy who gave the whole story about the kid who started out as a beginner with a Viscaria, Tenergy and Hurricane. See, why do you start out so argumentatively.

ANY OF THOSE BLADES CAN WORK FOR YOU.

But you are getting too worked up.

Sorry mate, i didn't know that, and because of the language issue i thought that was like a joke or trying to make fun of me, didn't know it was a real story or something to tell me to show me i am not alone, but it happened after few posts where i felt members blaming me going too quick with butterfly from start.

Sorry again.

This user has no status.
Well, really the kid started out with a 7 ply all wood FAST blade and moved to the Viscaria.

Maybe we can say it is wrong to start with a fast car or any car for any kid, but in games or say sports, why not? if we play with let's say very expensive ball for soccer or football matches and we are just playing in nearby houses, say kids, should we become pros first to play with most expensive ball? same with bat, a kid with Ma Long expensive racket, is it end of world? lol :D

This user has no status.
i think i understand your frustration @tareq.

So i would say:go to the Bty salesperson,pick up each blade you have suggested,feel it and if you really like it,take it.this will hopefully end any doubts you have

I am sorry to disappoint you, the coach and other coaches in that club are the only dealer i know selling BTY, and they only have 3 or 4 models, and to be honest, i held 3 of the blades they have, WOW, they all great, light, and really difficult to pick one, but none of them were the ones i posted before here, they don't have others, only or mostly Timo Boll models all of them as i can see, and 3 BTY rubbers, i think Tenergy 05 and T05-FX and forgot the other [maybe T64 not sure], so i don't have much options to test anything else from BTY.

Anyway, at the end, i narrowed my choices to 4 now, and really any of them i will be happy to use regardless of its quality and characteristics, and they are:

Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC
Butterfly Innerforce ALC
Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
Butterfly Innerforce ZLF

My heart is going more with ZJ ALC, and i put the others in that order due to my liking or preference, and they all in $100-200 range and i can buy any of them later, And sounds i really like to go with ALC versions even i included one ZLF due to the blade design and color, but it is coming last in the list above anyway, so i first have to pass this blade choice then i can worry about which rubber later, not necessary Tenergy.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I will be willing to cut Tareq a break. English is not his native languange. As good as I am in Korean and German, I will not do EVERYTHING exactly same way as native.

The comment about "Me? Tirade?" was directed at Carl as a joke. He understands that humor.

The comment about taking a lot of pics about what you decide was directed at you. TT forum people LOVE to see someone enjoy their chosen equipment and eventually you will decide on something. I was asking for you to take a lot of pics to share with everyone here. we all do that with something we like.