Help with fh rubber, pls

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl said:
If you are uncomfortable with the equipment, don't do matches just yet. Do training drills till you feel comfortable with it. If you play matches and are not comfortable with the equipment you may start changing your game and end up with a few bad habits.

Oh, one more thing, I heard that Der_Echte glued a banana peel to a block of wood and was able to loop with his backhand with that, so if you give him a $16.00 Chinese racket with $7.00 Chinese rubbers that most people think are old and worn out, he can really cause some destruction. That is why the good squad is so interested in catching him using illegal "pro" versions of their equipment.

Correction... I STAPLED that banana peel to that block of 2x4 wood I whittled down with Rambo's hunting knife (That joker works really fast)

I used staples, because I wanted that slippery banana to stay adhered to that piece of wood, staples are cheaper than TT glue by a country mile, and it wasn't a sanctioned tourney, just a dinner bet with some unsuspecting Koreans. I would serve fake underspin, get the opponent to give back a long and high underspin, then Carl would spin it into oblivion. I really didn't have to do much work, unless I was receiving... and even then one BH flick would take care of the point.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Correction... I STAPLED that banana peel to that block of 2x4 wood I whittled down with Rambo's hunting knife (That joker works really fast)

I used staples, because I wanted that slippery banana to stay adhered to that piece of wood, staples are cheaper than TT glue by a country mile, and it wasn't a sanctioned tourney, just a dinner bet with some unsuspecting Koreans. I would serve fake underspin, get the opponent to give back a long and high underspin, then Carl would spin it into oblivion. I really didn't have to do much work, unless I was receiving... and even then one BH flick would take care of the point.

A thing of beauty to see a man banana flip with a 2x4 that had a banana stapled to it.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I use Butterfly T64 on my FH and it feels great with counter looping. It has a lower trajectory compared to T05 because of the sponge so it is also better for blocking purposes.

I think your problem here is the sponge thickness. Usually 1.9 or lower won't help you with looping. It will barely carry the ball because its sponge is thin. Try using 2.1 thickness this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couple of pieces of information. Perhaps you did not read thoroughly, so, no harm, but please note that Vrael (the original poster) was having trouble FH looping with T05 and the sponge was 2.1. On his BH he has T64 with 1.9 sponge and when he turns that to his forehand he has no trouble looping: that is probably because of a combination of things: Vrael is coming back from a layoff from playing that lasted several years and so it is probably that the 1.9 sponge was easier for him to control even though, for someone who has their touch, 2.1 would be better for looping.

Also, you said the sponge on T64 is different than the sponge on T05. That is inaccurate. The sponge is exactly the same. What is different is the pimple configuration: on T64 the pimples are spaced further apart, they are thinner, and they are slightly taller. That gives T64 a softer feel than T05 but it is not because of the sponge. It is because the pimples in the topsheet have more give. You can research that.

That being said, the result makes it feel like the sponge is softer because of the pimple configuration.

I use Butterfly T64 on my FH and it feels great with counter looping. It has a lower trajectory compared to T05 because of the sponge so it is also better for blocking purposes.

I think your problem here is the sponge thickness. Usually 1.9 or lower won't help you with looping. It will barely carry the ball because its sponge is thin. Try using 2.1 thickness this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can perfectly loop with 1.8mm or 1.7mm tickness. I like small tickness rubbers because they give more touch and more feeling (you "feel" your blade more). I lose speed but I just go for faster rubbers.

Even on a stiff crabon blade with no fex like Donic Waldner Black Devil CB (this is not the blade that will help you the more for looping), I had no problem looping with T05 with 1.7mm tickness. In fact the smaller the tickness, the more linear your rubber is which will be appreciated by many players, even if you lose speed in the process.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
You might try a different blade. I also played a while with the Mizutani zlc but found it too unresponsive on the FH. I switched to Timo Boll Spirit and liked it much better for the feedback it gives. I am not a proponent for thick sponges as they have less control and add to the total weight of your paddle significantly. Anything thicker than 1.8mm is only benificial for the highest ranked players. Lower ranked players lack technique, skills and power to bottom out sponges of 2mm and up. I currently play with Tibhar Evolution 1.8 mxp on FH and found it very good regarding spin, speed and feedback. I also tried the Tenergies 5, 64 and 80 but found them too bouncy and I didnt get used to the high throw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
Thanks for all your advices. I have just glued acuda s1 2,0 mm. I am going on a training tommorow. Will give feedback after that. Probably when that rubber is unplayable I will just take t64 2,1 on fh (hope my skills will fully recover (or maybe get better) untill that time).

This user has no status.
Thanks for all your advices. I have just glued acuda s1 2,0 mm. I am going on a training tommorow. Will give feedback after that. Probably when that rubber is unplayable I will just take t64 2,1 on fh (hope my skills will fully recover (or maybe get better) untill that time).

Can you give feedback or judge a rubber just from 1-2 days of training? and will you decide about this rubber just from that time? i thought many said you need long or enough time maybe months to decide about anything you use/test

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
hello.

I think tenergy 25fx is what you need for fh. Then 654fx backhand. Give this a try...it is good for begginers and even suitable for advanced players.

Hope this help you.

Hayato