High friction LP for chopping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for high friction LP to chop with.
Thought it would be nice to try sidespin chopping like hou yingchao or haruna ojio.

I do not know too much about pips, but it seems the general idea is to use low friction pips for close to the table blockers, and high friction pips for chopping.

The thing is I need to be able to generate my own spin with the LP, while still being a safe pips.
SP are not safe to defend with in my opinion, but maybe I just have not tried the right SP.

I tried some random pips from club members, the one I like most so far is Meteor 8512, because it is safe and has decent spin generation and variation.

Also, is it sensible to boost LP nowadays? I guess SP choppers play with heavily boosted sponges now to generate more spin.
Probably the same concept should apply to LP.

Anyone want to share some ideas or experiences?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Curl P4 and Feint 3 remain the most popular high friction lp nowadays. I don't think you'll be able to get as much sidespin as with sp, and sidespin isn't that threatening on chops anyways when concerning the shot quality especially nowadays with the plastic ball, but it can offer a bit of trickiness when it comes to opponents who are not used to receiving sidespin. I don't think you should boost, it doesn't make sense to me to want to make a rubber made for chopping any faster than it has to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Curl P4 - from my experience - very sensitive. If you can tame the 1.5 mm version you'll be able to generate a ton of your own spin for sure. I've played with it for quite some time and in terms of spin generation I would say that the next step would be SP. But SP is a very different beast so better try high spin LPs first :)
No need to boost anything - you'll just ruin the perfectly enjoyable soft sponge of the P4 :)

Reactions: Zeen
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have a chopping paddle. It is a Donic Defplay Senseo III i think. The FH rubber is Rakza 7 1.8mm and the LP is TSP Curl 4 1.5mm. I think it really says 1.4-1.7 mm. Before tried thinner TSP P1-r and 388 Quatro 0.6mm from Colestt.
They all work but the 1.5mm sponge allows the ball to sink in more so there is more friction you can add more spin if your chopping stroke is fast enough. I don't think there is any special trick to chopping with thicker sponge. You just need to allow for the extra friction.

I think either P1-R or P4 will work well with thicker layers of sponge.

BTW, I am not a chopper, but I can chop for someone if they want to practice looping against a chopper.
I am not mobile enough anymore to be a competitive chopper.

This user has no status.
What do you regard as high friction? Pip heads with ridges and dots don't seem to do the job, only maybe, when the contact is very firm. However, I have Der Materialspezialist Rebellion, which has a smooth surface, but it is slightly tacky in its material, so I can definitely feel the pip heads gripping the ball on many occasions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Curl P4 and Feint 3 remain the most popular high friction lp nowadays. I don't think you'll be able to get as much sidespin as with sp, and sidespin isn't that threatening on chops anyways when concerning the shot quality especially nowadays with the plastic ball, but it can offer a bit of trickiness when it comes to opponents who are not used to receiving sidespin. I don't think you should boost, it doesn't make sense to me to want to make a rubber made for chopping any faster than it has to.
Is p4 significantly different from p1? One of my team members has p1 and I do not think it is suitable enough to generate my own spin. Sure, it can vary the spin, but it is not dangerous enough imo.
If p4 can generate more spin it would be interesting.

The thing about sidespin is that you can combine it with downspin or topspin from the same motion. So the opponent will only see the sidespin and then fail to read the other axis. That is why sidespin chops like the one from anders lind are so effective. I can do that with inverted but it tends to go long, especially with thick sponge.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Curl P4 - from my experience - very sensitive. If you can tame the 1.5 mm version you'll be able to generate a ton of your own spin for sure. I've played with it for quite some time and in terms of spin generation I would say that the next step would be SP. But SP is a very different beast so better try high spin LPs first :)
No need to boost anything - you'll just ruin the perfectly enjoyable soft sponge of the P4 :)
sounds good! I tried boosting other LP and it seemed to get faster but not more spinny.
Probably the soft sponge does not need boosting, as you say.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
What do you regard as high friction? Pip heads with ridges and dots don't seem to do the job, only maybe, when the contact is very firm. However, I have Der Materialspezialist Rebellion, which has a smooth surface, but it is slightly tacky in its material, so I can definitely feel the pip heads gripping the ball on many occasions.
honestly, I do not know and do not care too much, as long as the pips are not too spin sensitive (high spin SP are too sensitive) but are still able to generate high amounts of spin on their own. I do not care much about reversal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Victas curl p1v, also known as tsp curl p1r, is by far the most popular long pip for defenders. Used by joo saehyuk and a bunch of other defenders.
I feel that is too boring for me. I need more spin quality in the chops, even if that means sacrificing some control.

Jul 2014
Is p4 significantly different from p1? One of my team members has p1 and I do not think it is suitable enough to generate my own spin. Sure, it can vary the spin, but it is not dangerous enough imo.
If p4 can generate more spin it would be interesting.

The thing about sidespin is that you can combine it with downspin or topspin from the same motion. So the opponent will only see the sidespin and then fail to read the other axis. That is why sidespin chops like the one from anders lind are so effective. I can do that with inverted but it tends to go long, especially with thick sponge.
P4 is softer, grippier than P1. But by extension also more spin-sensitive.

Reactions: Zeen
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try p4 in the summer break and see how that style works out for me.