Short pips for BH topspin (philosophising:D)

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Hi,

I am playing the RakzaPO, I have both a black and red version. The red is more for traditional short pips play with some spinning, the black is more for a topspin play.

My question is rather theoretical, as my next "test" rubber will be the VO101 in max and black.

Does it make sense to play an almost inverted short pip on BH? Which ones are the best?

I came from MilliTall II - 799 - 802-1 to RakzaPO. The tendency is very obvious. The higher I play, the more I need a BH opening - topspin vs backspin and ideally a banana flip, I also get 3-4 feet away from the table when I play the FH topspin and for the next ball to a BH I need a modern pip...:D

- I have tried the MORISTO SP and did not like it - the opponent did not even notice I have a short pip, nor did I seem to have any speed advantage or extra spin, the rubber was unsuitable for me.
- VO102 was a rubber which felt like let us topspin, but the flat hitting was a lottery, good spin on pushes, also no pimple effect, but I tried it a long time ago. Was fun, however.
- I have also tried FIRESTORM - that was a wacky experience, the rubber was super spinny, super quick, super bouncy and but super sensitive.

I am thinking of getting a VO101 in max - the max sponge should give it some possibilities for spinning and it is regarded as a pips with sinking effect so it should also be good for countering with at least some effect.

The next option, a month or two later that I will try out is to take an inverted like SP, but which one? Maybe the PO in black is already "inverted" enough?

It is a very long time ago that I played inverted on BH and my BH was very weak, but this plastic ball table tennis makes the inverted BH dominant game the most sensible option...

Best regards, mil

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I second Spinfire since I love it. However you already played with Firestorm and you did not like it.

I played with my clubmate's Moristo SP and I could not play with it. My impression is that it is too wobbly and hard to control.

I like to play short pips like I play with inverted. A lot of my clubmates are confused then as to why I switched to short pips. I like being able to use inverted strokes but yet the rubber is not as sensitive to the incoming spin. I see no issue with that.

By the way, when I play with pips players in the club, I use inverted on both sides because I need to "pull" on the ball to get it over the net. So I only use Spinfire on my BH when I play against inverted players. So far it has been working out so I don't plan to change my strategy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Well, coming from someone having rotated through 26 short and medium pips last year, I'd say Rakza PO is really close to the 'inverted like' side.

If you want some similar ideas, Impartial XS and Moristo SP AX are also inverted like.

If you want looping ability but less sensitivity, then maybe try Booster JP, speedy soft d.tecs, or Sonic AR.

The issue I had with VO101 was the low trajectory, the speed isn't the issue but it plays very flat like the Moristo SP that you dislike.

Good luck :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Well, coming from someone having rotated through 26 short and medium pips last year, I'd say Rakza PO is really close to the 'inverted like' side.

If you want some similar ideas, Impartial XS and Moristo SP AX are also inverted like.

If you want looping ability but less sensitivity, then maybe try Booster JP, speedy soft d.tecs, or Sonic AR.

The issue I had with VO101 was the low trajectory, the speed isn't the issue but it plays very flat like the Moristo SP that you dislike.

My problem with 101. 1.8mm is that the ball goes to flat and is harder to make it land, so 2mm or max will be a less flat allowing me to land the shot but keeping the spin killing feature.

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012

I have found two combinations so far, I will most probably play with one of them:

Rakza PO 2.0 black on a Persson PowerCarbon, FH ZGR or ZGX, my long-time blade
VO102 max black on a Freitas ALC, FH probably ZGR, a secondary blade where most rubbers seem to work.

With both I can open up with topspin and play the next shot flat. Everything else does not work. Even the Rakza PO in red is completely different - same rubber, different colour, different characteristics - it is more flat and has more of this disturbing effect, but it disturbs me as well.

VO101 - I have it in max. and have tried it but it will be most probably unplayable, like a weird fast medium pips.
MORISTO Sp - had no pimple effect whatsoever, if the opponent does not notice that I play a SP, it is bad. The same was true for 802-40 in 2.0 black. I am not speaking of disruption, but the flat hits should cause problems to the opponent. I may try it on the Freitas, but am rather negative.

I have realised that neither my standard blade - Persson PowerCarbon, nor my secondary blade - Freitas - are the average standard blade, so my equipment tests are junk - PowerCarbon mathes with few rubbers and Freitas matches at least OK with very many rubbers.

(I have stopped buying new stuff for now as EJ-ing gets very expensive.
I am very disappointed with the ORIGINAL TRUE CARBON as it was supposed to be a quickier Viscaria but I cannot get in going whatsoever. I also have the ORIGINAL CARBOSPEED which is a Hinoki "trampoline" with soft SP:D, I think I have more than enough equipment for now).

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Yeah, maybe a slower inverted with a 1.7-1.8 mm sponge.
Off topic:

I have tried inverted on BH and am totally bad/weak with it. One thing I have noticed is that with inverted I cannot have too much own catapult. I happen to have a black MX-P and it is unplayable for me on the Off+ PowerCarbon on BH, but it punched nicely on the Freitas. Also when I switched FH and BH on Freitas I liked the ZGR on BH. I did not like the ZGX on BH as it was too lively and reactive to spin.
It is clear that OFF+ blade is not good for learning a topspin BH technique but it is also weird that my preference for my pimples-in BH attempts is a 57-degree ZGR on Freitas. I could BH-topspin quite nicely with a Rakza Z on PowerCarbon /Rakzaz did not play at all on Freitas/, as long as I was active. It was not very good against opponents powerplay.