How to spread thick glues? (DHS. No 15)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I recently got some DHS. No 15 glue, and i really like how easy it is to remove from rubbers and blade (much better than the rev. 3 that i normally use).
However I am finding it really difficult to spread out evenly. What is the way to do it for these thick glues?
I am wondering if it is because of the soft sponge i used (from the rev. 3). On aliexpress it seems the dhs glue comes with really hard sponges to apply with.

20231226_131945.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I recently got some DHS. No 15 glue, and i really like how easy it is to remove from rubbers and blade (much better than the rev. 3 that i normally use).
However I am finding it really difficult to spread out evenly. What is the way to do it for these thick glues?
I am wondering if it is because of the soft sponge i used (from the rev. 3). On aliexpress it seems the dhs glue comes with really hard sponges to apply with.

View attachment 27890
You need to use a bit more glue and spread it fast with as few movements as possible. Especially I would start the first layer on the blade since the sponge you use to spread will suck up quite a bit of the glue.
This is the biggest problem with DHS no15, it's a bit hard to use and maybe it is a bit heavy compared to other glues. If you want something similar but a lot nicer to use then get the Sueke no2 glue. Much cheaper than DHS n15 too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
You need to use a bit more glue and spread it fast with as few movements as possible. Especially I would start the first layer on the blade since the sponge you use to spread will suck up quite a bit of the glue.
This is the biggest problem with DHS no15, it's a bit hard to use and maybe it is a bit heavy compared to other glues. If you want something similar but a lot nicer to use then get the Sueke no2 glue. Much cheaper than DHS n15 too.
This Sueke does seem interesting. Is it VOC-free?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I throw away glues that are too thick to spread thinly. I also have thinner for the Elmers glue but it often doesn't mix well enough to thin the rubber.
I tried Tear Mender once and didn't like so I stick to Elmers glue. I share my bottle because rarely does it run out before getting too thick.

I would rather apply two or more thin coats of glue before using a thick glue that may not spread evenly. Glue doesn't cost that much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

View attachment 27890

The pores on your sponge is too big, the gap in your brushing is from those pores.
find a denser sponge, and i'm sure your problem will be resolved.

PS. I once ran out of proper sponge, and I took a kitchen dish washing sponge, and it had so much pores, I had a big challenge. What I did was take a clip and clip two ends together, leaving the other end, the middle part of the sponge and I would brush with A LOT OF GLUE (wasted a lot too). I would do both up/down and side ways.
I end up just getting a lot of proper sponge, so I don't waste on glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I tried using my fingers like recommended, and i cant believe how easy that makes it!
The only problem i have is the part on the blade near the handle, but i guess with some practice it will get easier.
Thanks for the recommendations!