Reducing head-heaviness by gluing differently

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
This is something I had only learned about today, even after being an equipment nerd for a good while, so I thought this might help someone else out here too.

Not too long ago, someone was talking about their method of gluing rubber using thicker glues on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who it was, but all the credit goes to them!).
They mentioned that to make it easier to apply the glue, they used a damp sponge, which helped dilute the glue ever so slightly, as well as start with a sponge that absorbs less of the glue which leads to a more even glue job.

I had to reglue my rubber, so I decided to try this method. Wet the sponge under some water, squeezed it to keep just a little bit of water inside, and then glued my rubbers. 2 layers on the sponge, 1 layer on the wood, like I always do. It definitely helps spread the glue more evenly, gives more time before the glue starts drying, and results in a thinner layer of glue.

Decided to weigh my blade afterwards too. Before, it was 189 grams, and was a little bit too head-heavy for me. Using this method with significantly thinner layers of glue, it now weighs 180 grams. 9 grams of difference, and it's all cut from the head! I never used a lot of glue to begin with, as I've tried to keep it as thin and even as possible, but this kind of difference is massive and unexpected.

Yes, it was me who wrote about using a damp sponge.
But I find that result quite surprising.
If you reglued, you're only adding material, not removing any. So the blade should have to wheigh at least as much as before you reglued.
I think there might be something else in play...

Reactions: BaRanchik
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
If you reglued, you're only adding material, not removing any. So the blade should have to wheigh at least as much as before you reglued.
I removed the glue before applying new layers.

I removed the glue before applying new layers.
Aha of course, that would make more sense.
Still a bit surprised about the wheight difference, but I tend to use very very little glue (only a single layer).
Anyway, I'm glad you have such great results!
I would advise to seal the blade when using this glueing technique often, as the added water might hurt the blade eventually. But sealing will add another 1-2 grams ;-)

Cheers!

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Do I understand it correctly that you leave the glue on the rubber after removing it?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
One sheet on every side of the blade and then a sheet on the rubber, sometimes 2 sheets that makes 10 or 15 grams!
Joking 😁
yep, i agree with you this is fair comment 😂
At least of course we have to add 5g because it needs a sheet on both sides😂

I will really have to test the glue weight though. I am not playing "doubtful Thomas" here but admit having a hard time accepting that the glue is adding so much weight.

• Haha
Reactions: riemsesy
Do I understand it correctly that you leave the glue on the rubber after removing it?
Since I apply so little glue, yes.
Trying to remove the glue from the rubber would have only a marginal effect I believe, and I risk damaging the rubber.
I don't reglue that often, only when I want to test a different bat/rubber combo.
After an arbitrary amount of times, if I see that the glue starts stacking up, only then do I remove the glue.

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
My glue layers (3 thin layers of DHS No 15) weigh only about 1g-2g on each side.

I once tried the wet sponge technique and it made spreading the glue easier but caused a bizarre hollow feeling where I ended up regluing immediately after playing with it. I'm guessing the method works with thick viscosity glues. DHS No 15 shouldn't be thinned down.

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
My glue layers (3 thin layers of DHS No 15) weigh only about 1g-2g on each side.

I once tried the wet sponge technique and it made spreading the glue easier but caused a bizarre hollow feeling where I ended up regluing immediately after playing with it. I'm guessing the method works with thick viscosity glues. DHS No 15 shouldn't be thinned down.
I can confirm this.
just finished my little test. I applied 3 thick fat layers of the thickest Revo3 glue, let it all dry over night and pulled it off the blade . On my triple beam scale the "gob of glue" weighs
exactly 1.25gr. This makes it 2.5gr both sides.
Let me add to this that I have tried to apply the 3 layers as fat as I possibly could so I think we proved that the thinning down of glue method is a load of bollocks and who knows , thinning the glue might even weaken its adhesive qualities.
So comeon guys lay it on fat, weight = power. 😁