How to win more tactically?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys, I just want to ask how to improve your game tactically? Like where's the source you guys using or your experience towards tactics. And what tactics to use to adapt the position? And how do you figure it out in a match when things' not going your way?
For all the time, my tactic is like use my strong aspect to overwhelm other players. I'm kinda bad at adapting when the game advances. When the opponents are able to neutralize my strength, I'm kinda stuck and lost at decisive point. When that situation happens, I'm kinda slow down, extend the time to pick up the ball and wait longer before serves and think to pull out some wild cards, that actually works.
In this case, I'm consistent and strong at my BH (BH flick, loop and counter-loop), I'm never feared to play or not go against a BH chance to loop and counter-loop. My game is like built around my BH flick, and my tactics are also (Right-hand pendulum serves to short FH and then remain at position seeking for a flick, or stand in the middle of the table doing backhand serves to short FH or long BH).
So is there more ways to force people play with mine strength? (in a serve turn and receive turn as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: blahness and Fnub
Starting from your own strength is a prerequisite and a good point if you start a match with this attitude.
If your strongest weapon fails, you must quickly analyse where your opponent's weakness lies. You will have to (learn to) adapt yourself to that particular situation. Try, try again and adapt. This cannot be taken for granted!
Of course, you can also train on tactical match situations with your club/team partners.
You don't always have to train on speed and steadiness. Matches you also have to learn to play and "read".
I know plenty of people who trump me at training with all their strokes but once they play a match against me, they can't read my game and lose the match. Of course, I can have the same preference against other opponents.
Good luck!

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Read 1 reviews
You have to play your game not adapt to opponent
I 100% disagree with this. In TT you have to adapt or you'll just lose.
  • You can't play a lefty the same way you play a righty
  • You can't play a defensive player just like you play an attacking player
  • You can't play a pips player they way you play an inverted rubber player
  • You can't play a flat hitter the way you play a looper
  • You can't play a strong BH player the way you play a strong FH player
  • You can't play a strong flicker the way you play other people
  • You can't play a twiddler the way you play other people
There are so many styles that you have to adapt to, as a matter of fact, adapting is an essential part of the game.

Now back to the main question:

You just can't overdo your main strength cuase the opponent will eventually wise up to it if you are both around the same level.

If you're keen on playing on your backhand then learn serves that generate the same sidespin as your backhand serves (reverse pendulum, tomahawk and hook), adjust the sidespin and serve to their BH as you do with your BH serves.

Also, learn a fast long serve and play to their BH, you can surprise them every now and then with it and people tend to return those to your BH.

This way you can milk your tactic a bit more but eventually you have to develop some other tactics and plans or the opponent will go out of her/his way to not to give you the ball in your backhand. You have to mix it up to find their weaknesses and their patterns.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
One way that I improved my tactics is by improving my overall shot arsenal (IE, having a backhand instead of just a forehand). That way if one thing isn't working, i have something else I can try or even lean into.

A lot of my tactics come from the serve. So spend a lot of time just practicing your serves...it will help with your tactics when you can do a certain serve and have a reasonable expectation of what kind of return you will get back from your opponent.

likewise, spend some time practicing returning serves short with varied placement. this will throw off your opponents tactics and thus turning them into your own.

other than that...try to think of and recognize the patterns in both your play and your opponents play. for example, if one time you serve fast long, then on the next point you serve short dead....switch it up the next time so as to always keep your opponent guessing. you don't need the spinniest serve to win points...you just need to be unpredictable with your placement and AMOUNT of spin.

placement placement placement. when you can place the ball where you want, you can take control of the tactics. I have opponents at my club who have stronger backhands than me...who can get into a better rhythm than me in backhand if we hit 3 in a row...but i can still win a lot of backhand rallys against them because i can vary the placement...one to the backhand...one to the backhand but in the elbow..and then the next a simple block to the wide forehand....for example.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi guys, I just want to ask how to improve your game tactically? Like where's the source you guys using or your experience towards tactics. And what tactics to use to adapt the position? And how do you figure it out in a match when things' not going your way?
For all the time, my tactic is like use my strong aspect to overwhelm other players. I'm kinda bad at adapting when the game advances. When the opponents are able to neutralize my strength, I'm kinda stuck and lost at decisive point. When that situation happens, I'm kinda slow down, extend the time to pick up the ball and wait longer before serves and think to pull out some wild cards, that actually works.
In this case, I'm consistent and strong at my BH (BH flick, loop and counter-loop), I'm never feared to play or not go against a BH chance to loop and counter-loop. My game is like built around my BH flick, and my tactics are also (Right-hand pendulum serves to short FH and then remain at position seeking for a flick, or stand in the middle of the table doing backhand serves to short FH or long BH).
So is there more ways to force people play with mine strength? (in a serve turn and receive turn as well)
Hi LH
from your post you have the tools to develop effective tactics:-
your strengths:
bh flick
loop
serve to short fh or long bh.
The key is to analyse the potential of your strengths to stress your opponent.

so:
  1. bh flick
    ability to hit the ball in different directions
  2. loop
    ability to loop to different parts of the table
  3. serve to short fh or long bh or middle

4. receive to short fh or long bh or middle

How do we add a tactical dimension?
    The answer is in applying movement and time pressure to your opponent.
    Instead of thinking which shot to use , think more in terms of Where to send the ball and how to add value to that decision?
    Serve or receive to short fh, or long bh, or middle
    learn to disguise so that opponent is unsure where the next shot is going
    loop make sure to delay your play until you see opponents intention so that he has to MOVE to return the ball
    combine bh flick with short/long placement to add yet more pressure
    So its all about being aware of your Opp in real time and learning the best way to take advantage.
    The commonest mistake is to think only in terms of placements for an immediate winner. If your opp is near your level it's best to build on small advantages and let the winners come naturally.
    good luck

Last edited: