How to be a topspin machine

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
I usually can loop a lot of balls continuously if they block normally. But if it's very wide or fast to the elbow that's usually where I'm toast. Sudden short low is also incredibly difficult to deal with especially if its wide. I have a special hate relationship with people who just love punching my topspins to my elbow area. I think getting from very wide FH back to wide BH to loop is close to impossible, I always end up kinda fishing at this point :( BH to FH is easier because the crossover step has a very large range, I can usually get good loops from this.
Very wide fh to wide bh is tough for anyone, especially if you have to cross over to get to the fh. Best thing is to avoid this by taking away the wide backhand angle unless you have a kill shot. You can also work on extending the range of your one step footwork out wide to fh so you don't have to cross over so often. That's what Falkenberg drills are for. Semi-random bh-middle or bh-wide drills are also helpful.

For elbow shots, if you have the foot speed to pivot and counter attack with fh, it's a good use of practice time to work on making enough room for yourself and taking the ball earlier or later as needed. In any case, seeing the attack coming as early as possible makes a big difference. Semi-random wide-middle drills with a good blocker are helpful with this. Have the blocker try to wrong foot you. Focus on seeing and moving with or even before contact.

This user has no status.
you need to come and train with me

are you from Australia?
From Thursday, we are hosting 2 Australian junior girls national team members
I actually played a high level young junior girl recently, it was jaw dropping how fast their countering and footwork is. I counted my % win in topspin rallies and it was like 20-30% ouch, even when I'm a lot spinnier and powerful. I remember one ball where I completely feinted her to the BH (she was preparing to pivot) and switched super wide to her FH, and it still got loopkilled past me lol....

I wanna train a bit like them - just interested to see how fast I can get my speed to haha.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
I usually can loop a lot of balls continuously if they block normally. But if it's very wide or fast to the elbow that's usually where I'm toast. Sudden short low is also incredibly difficult to deal with especially if it’s wide. I have a special hate relationship with people who just love punching my topspins to my elbow area. I think getting from very wide FH back to wide BH to loop is close to impossible, I always end up kinda fishing at this point :( BH to FH is easier because the crossover step has a very large range, I can usually get good loops from this.
If someone plays very wide to your FH, to avoid the ball coming wide to the BH then you must play wide again to the FH with side spin,
Even if it goes to your BH there is a good chance there will be side spin again and the ball will be curving towards the middle reducing the distance to it -

- or if you play to the BH, play a (higher arc) slow loop loaded with spin, it will give time to get back in position, and it’s not easy to handle. (Often a winner in match play)

If you play a fast normal topspin to the BH a simple block will put you out of position.

——
PS
When I do drills, I usually always go for this shot with my FH before playing BH next unless I feel really good and want to try the speedier shot for a kill or to see if I can get the next ball.

Reactions: blahness
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Blahness,

I will stick to the situation of making a 2nd ball flick and being ready to follow up attack... since I think it is one of the original situations you proposed.

... However, even if I chiquita or loop first, if the opponent is fast/stable af on the block/counter game I'm always a bit too slow for my liking on the subsequent shots, and eventually they get the better of me. The only way I win usually is if I overwhelm them with the amount of spin/power that they cannot handle. But past a certain point you can't expect them not to come back consistently.

So I can do decently spinny powerful loops on both wings, but what I'm lacking is the smooth connection between both wing to loop continuously and be in position no matter where the opponent places the ball. I have a bag of balls and multiple training partners, what drills do I do to improve this aspect of my game?

What is important is to make your shot, find a get to get to a ready position, and expect the ball to come back... and be neutral ready and seeking to follow up attack.

This comes from a good recovery and ready reset. As a right handed player, often on serve, you are stepping in with your right foot and flipping (unless ball is to BH sideline)... one way to reset quickly is to practice striking the ball... and very shortly after the strike, push off with that right foot.,, and get a jump step going that is opening up your hips... so that when your right foot lands, you are in open FH position... then you can take another hop or step to get to the next ball.

Keep bat waist to belly high and finish with bat on side and a bit in front.

This stance and postion will let you quickly get to the next position.

If you were watching your shot or not efficiently recovering crouched in open hip position, then it is very difficult to move effectively again.

Many shots in TT are missed or are much lower percentage from poor movement, poor position, poor balance/stance/leverage. Getting this right lets you see the ball better and it is a simple thing in TT. Every shot has this happening well or poor.

It may sound stupid to practice your in and out step with a fake impact (when you are by self) (and later with partner giving you short ball to flip and a 3rd ball counter), but it will help you out a lot.

Reactions: blahness
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For those continuous loop rallies, one way to develop and grow this is to NOT make huge swings... that hurts recovery anyway.

Better to allow ball to come to strike zone and use more compact stroke... that promotes better timing and true impact. It will not result in a devastating loaded ball, but you will get it back time and time again and later can grow a stronger shot once timing and confidence get better.

Later, when a better skill of swing to impact timing is there, go for more swing and power.

Earlier on in development, use a light grip pressure... when timing and impact better, go for more grip pressure at impact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Topspin while it gives that great benefit of margin for error in attack has a built in weakness in that to an extent an incoming topspin ball is easy to read and attack. which puts the topspinner in a defensive posture, partly caused by taking the ball later in order to continue spinning. An alternative can be to try to stay closer to force opponent back off the the table which may result in winning topspin later in rally.
Mizutani, later in his career had some great results by mixing blocks with his topspin in order to maintain his attacking position.
It's better to win with fewer topspins than lose through being obsessed with one aspect of technique.
Having said that maybe you might have more of a balance and transition issue than a specific topspin issue which can be resolved with improved reading and reaction to incoming shots. I would think that reaction should be the most effective attacking option regardless of type of shot