Hurricane 3 Comparison

This user has no status.
After last year's EJ phase, I've come to feel that I really do enjoy playing with Chinese tacky rubber for my FH. In this thread, I'm hoping to gather opinions from everyone who plays H3 on FH about various versions of H3 you have played. There are so many variations of the Hurricane rubbers that I'm really struggling to decide which version I should go with. If there is another thread about this that I missed, I'd appreciate if you could direct me to it.

For Hurricane 3, there are several versions as listed below:

Commercial H3
Provincial H3 (Orange sponge)
Provincial H3 (Blue sponge)
National H3 (Orange sponge)
National H3 (Blue sponge)

Commercial H3N
Provincial H3N (Orange sponge). I don't think there's Blue sponge for provincial H3Neo
National H3N (Orange sponge)
National H3N (Blue sponge)

I'm hoping if you could share your experiences of these rubbers including the below information:

1. Which version do you play?
2. Where do you purchase? Hoping to find a legitimate shop to buy so I don't get fake ones.
3. Thickness and hardness of your rubber?
4. Do you boost or not (if so, which booster)?
5. What's your experience with durability?
5. If you have played several versions of H3/H3N, how do you compare the spin and speed between them?

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm really hoping to find out if going up to provincial orange/blue, or national orange/blue is worth it or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
1. commercial H3 for about a year. Both forehand and backhand.
2. tabletennis11.com
3. max thickness (2.2)
4. forehand not boosted when warm, boosted 2 layers of falco or 3 layers of paraffin oil when cold,
backhand boosted (3-4 layers of falco long term booster) or 5-6 layers of paraffin oil
5. i used to play with tibhar mxp/s and they lasted for 5-6 weeks (~15 hours per week). H3 are still playable after 3 months (per pair). I rotate 2 pairs of rubbers every 4 weeks. I reboost every 4 weeks before gluing.
6. I tried commercial H3N twice on forehand. Less tackiness while a bit faster. Did not like it that much.

Temperature and humidity affect H3 quite a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't think there's Blue sponge for provincial H3Neo

Wrong guess. I play with provincial H3N blue sponge.

20180214_234142.jpg
20180214_234234.jpg
20180930_231910.jpg

[Emoji6]

I first started out with another rubber missing on your list.
It was the Nittaku H3 orange package. It came with the old H3 topsheet which is a bit tackier than the newer H3N's one.

I've ordered that rubber directly from Nittaku.

After that I moved to an authentic but used National H3N orange sponge which a pro gave to me.

From then on most of my fh rubbers i received from a forum member, but i also have a good friend who flies to China every now and then and who has brought some along.

I usually use a 40° sponge in 2.1mm, but have also played with 41° and 39° but 40° seems to suit me the best.

Durability is outstanding and unrivaled IMHO.
When i play a lot it lasts between 3 and six months. I had an elbow injury and only played league matches once a week for a while. To that time the rubber even lasted longer.

H3N is a bit more lively than H3. The H3's topsheet was more solid and close to indestructable compared to the H3N which is a little more fragile and shows signs of wear much sooner.
The old topsheet without the ITTF reg. number printed on was more tacky.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
Ah, thanks for correcting me. Really helpful to see these comments. Is blue sponge version for H3 and H3N noticeably better than orange version?

TT11 seems quite pricey. I suppose there really isn't any other way to ensure it's authentic unless you purchase it from China. I'm afraid the ones I see on AliExpress
could be fake ones. Also it appears TT11 doesn't listen hardness degree, for commercial versions, so I don't know whether these rubbers are 39, 40 or 41.

Last edited:
Reactions: man_iii
This user has no status.
1. I played with National H3 BS boosted+ unboosted, Provincial H3 neo orange boosted + unboosted, H3-50 unboosted, Currently using unboosted Hurricane pro 3 Turbo Orange by Nittaku which is my new fav is H3 turbo but for the longest time it was provincial H3 neo unboosted.

2. Most of my rubbers are provincial or commercial and usually not BS so I can buy it easily from local reputable TT store. Its hard to find fake provincial rubber that isnt BS because the supply is quite plenty according to my TT shop insider. For National H3 BS, i got introduced to a trusty local supplier who has limited stock and has close ties to top+national TT players so he uses these connections to get the supply. He doesnt actively promote the H3 BS and u can only get it through recommendation by some1 he trust

3. If possible I try to get the thickess and softest (Preferably 39 degrees)

4. I prefer to play unboosted. If you need to boost, Falcon long is good enough. Most ppl are not good enough where a high end booster will make a difference anyway.

5. Unboosted, these rubbers last a long time. They also are quite damage resistent if you accidently hit the table. My Unboosted Provincial H3 neo is almost 2 years now and still useable. If boosted, you have to be really careful when cleaning the rubber as too much friction can cause the top sheet to seperate from the sponge and cause airbubles

6. Spin: National insignificantly spinnier than Provincial. Provincial much higher than Commercial (I recommend Provincial>Commercial>National from a value perspective)
Speed: National=Provincial but Provincial+National> Commercial as the tack from Provincial and National dies off fast but still maintains its grip

TLDR: Boosting is a preference. I prefer unboosted. BS not worth so Just get Provincial H3 neo orange or H3 turbo by nittaku

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
ProTT are selling Star Hurricane 3 National rubber for $105. This is a fairly new release - has anybody tried it?

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
What has happened to the Neos, Zeio?
Are they brainless or just too good and hence out of competition?
[Emoji2]

Those are no-brainers...

tenor.gif

I got a verified provincial non neo blue sponge from AliExpress for 30£. About twice as expensive as commercial but seems to be lasting quite a bit longer and out performs commercial in most regards. Certainly much cheaper than ESN or butterfly...the biggest difference I find between blue and orange sponge is throw angle. I find my blue sponge to have a slightly lower throw which suits my attacking fh and makes blocking easier.

This user has no status.
I got a verified provincial non neo blue sponge from AliExpress for 30£. About twice as expensive as commercial but seems to be lasting quite a bit longer and out performs commercial in most regards. Certainly much cheaper than ESN or butterfly...the biggest difference I find between blue and orange sponge is throw angle. I find my blue sponge to have a slightly lower throw which suits my attacking fh and makes blocking easier.

Which supplier on AliExpress do you use? A link would be greatly appreciated.

This user has no status.
Looks like some consider BS to be not worth it and riddled with fake ones. Seems like provincial orange sponge is the way to go if one wants a better quality H3 without paying a massive premium and get suckered into branding.

Honestly, the main difference (besides price) between BS and normal is that BS somehow absorbs the booster better than normal sponge. It is also more durable and and harder. To use an analogy, the BS may absorb 95% of the booster effect but normal maybe only 70%. As my very good TT friend from Hong Kong says, there is no point getting BS, just boost normal rubber 5 times to get similar effect and personally I feel like that is true after using BS in person. The merit here is that because BS is more durable and absorbs better, you can get away with adding more layers of booster without worrying about the top sheet separating from the sponge and creating air bubbles. It also means you dont have to boost as much and can save time

Besides that, the only other difference I can think of is that BS is quite insensitive to incoming spin. This means its easier to be offensive as you can easily override the spin relative to the normal version. The insensitivity also gives it great control as it made counter looping very easy. It matter not how spinny and fast the opponent's loops were, as long as my blade was at the right place, I felt confident that my counter loops will land on the table with force.

This user has no status.
Honestly, the main difference (besides price) between BS and normal is that BS somehow absorbs the booster better than normal sponge. It is also more durable and and harder. To use an analogy, the BS may absorb 95% of the booster effect but normal maybe only 70%. As my very good TT friend from Hong Kong says, there is no point getting BS, just boost normal rubber 5 times to get similar effect and personally I feel like that is true after using BS in person. The merit here is that because BS is more durable and absorbs better, you can get away with adding more layers of booster without worrying about the top sheet separating from the sponge and creating air bubbles. It also means you dont have to boost as much and can save time

Besides that, the only other difference I can think of is that BS is quite insensitive to incoming spin. This means its easier to be offensive as you can easily override the spin relative to the normal version. The insensitivity also gives it great control as it made counter looping very easy. It matter not how spinny and fast the opponent's loops were, as long as my blade was at the right place, I felt confident that my counter loops will land on the table with force.

Appreciate the insight.

says I’ll make the payment as soon as posible (tomorrow)
says I’ll make the payment as soon as posible (tomorrow)
May 2018
Difference between the nitakku hurricane 3 pro turbo and H3N provincial Orange sponge?