I’m qualifying for the English nationals help

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Firstly,Do you put all the weight onto your right leg and swing your shoulder back for the topspin,Or do u bring your arm and shoulder back while putting the weight onto your right leg and twist your hips to your left leg.https://streamable.com/384a5 that video

Ghost: I told you, no more new threads.

Is there some part of that you didn’t understand. For now, NO MORE NEW THREADS.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
man why no replies on here then?!? I just want advice

Sometimes when you post overlapping content in multiple threads, people decide they want to avoid you and don’t answer.

I have actually closed or locked at least 10 threads of yours. And you have had THREE people on this thread ask you not to post so many threads on the same subject.

Think about it.

You should also realize, people in my country may not even be awake yet. Where I am it is 9am. Not everyone is in the same time zone as you are.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now, feedback on the video I saw:

For us to give you useful feedback, I feel I would need some info:

1) When do you think you would use such a big hip rotation in a match?

2) Is there a reason why you are dropping your hips towards the end of the hip rotation.

3) Is there a reason you are doing this without a racket in your hand?

4) Is what your arms are doing even close to what they would do in a real stroke where you are trying to hit a ball coming from an opponent’s shot?

Now a very small amount of info:

No matter what the circumstances, there would never be a reason for your right arm to do what it is doing in the shadow video I watched. All that could do is mess up the biomechanics and muscle memory for the stroke.

And I see way too much hip rotation, not so bad not so good. But not well timed. And I don’t see your hips and torso move forward into the direction of the “stroke”.....if you can call what you’re doing a stroke based on what the right arm is doing.

Why don’t you show us actual footage of you in a match or training?

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
man why no replies on here then?!? I just want advice

You come off as rude and juvenile. That doesn’t help you get any advice. Be polite, describe your problem clearly, engage with people who try to help you in a positive way, and listen to the people who have volunteered to moderate and manage this forum.

Here’s a good advice for table tennis and beyond: Mind your manners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Apr 2018
did u injure yourself.Too much hip rotation?OHHHH I’m going sideways with the weight transfer not foward right?So reduce hip rotation and go foward instead of sideways.Also is my position right for the weight transfer.Put right foot back slightly parallel not overly,Put relaxed left leg in front.That ok?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
did u injure yourself.Too much hip rotation?OHHHH I’m going sideways with the weight transfer not foward right?So reduce hip rotation and go foward instead of sideways.Also is my position right for the weight transfer.Put right foot back slightly parallel not overly,Put relaxed left leg in front.That ok?

Try playing a game with that kind of hip rotation. You will soon find that it is not useful.
You are overemphasizing this; the hip rotation is not as big as you think. You just need to make sure that the rotation exists.
That is all.

You can try looking at other videos: https://youtu.be/UFEJ01dboBk?t=37 there isn't that much hip rotation

You should focus more on spinning the ball.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I can forehand topspin.My coach said you’re just using shoulder and theres no power into your stroke with the hip rotation so I can’t forehand topspin away from the table because when I just use my shoulder I do brush it but it does feel awkward when I don’t rotate because u just use shoulder and your stiff...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
https://streamable.com/xh0t3 took some constructive criticism im Obviously not mature at it but can u tell me if my posistion is right like starting it

It shouldn't feel or look unnatural. Your hip shouldn't be going downwards. Your first three smaller swings looked better than the more powerful swings that you tried.

Try taking a video of hitting the ball when you get to a club

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You do look too stiff. But simply telling you to relax won’t help you. You would need to learn how to relax.

Also, it seems you are so conscious of what you are trying trying to do with your feet that they seem to be stuck in place.

Show us some real footage of you hitting the ball: like, maybe you looping while someone else is blocking for you.

With the racket in your hand, what your arm is doing looks a lot better.

If you are insistent on doing and showing shadow drills, show shadow drills where you move, like a one step.

Look how his feet move in this one step:

https://youtu.be/7hK4ifyMFvU

The rest is there too like hips and stroke.

If you did a shadow 2 point drill with FH for both points, it actually might help you with the idea of moving and timing the hips and weight transfer.

But the big hip movements you are trying to do would simply be for a big shot away from the table or a kill shot where you are pretty sure the ball won’t come back.

And it would still be better for us to see what really happens when you are training or playing matches rather than during shadow strokes.

Reactions: Andy44
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
the first three swings are just me using my shoulder.Ok I’ll do a topspin to topspin rally but it looks really stiff because I’m not using my legs.Lol all of the coaches in my club say transfer your weight and put you right leg back and left in front and go foward.My coach says it’s all right but u found the leg part and ur right

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, he needs your corner of the table video for the inside out forehand loop practice.

Good call. Here, ghost, this is what NextLevel is talking about.

This is a drill you could try and practice.

https://youtu.be/ezBW4kePyrc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There is no perfect or correct way to hit the ball in TT, there are just awful ways and respectable ways and in advanced cases high level ways. You can use your legs all you like but without a real ball in some manner no one can tell you what the limitations you really face are. Even crappy technique works in the right context. If you shadowed Quadri Aruna's counterlooping stroke on some balls, people would think you were nuts. Or if you looped regularly like Christophe Legout does in some matches some coaches wouldn't talk to you. But it works because TT is not all about technique and the steps from A to B are different for different players. Just use your legs in a way that let's you hit the ball harder. When a ball shows up it will fall apart anyways.

Reactions: Ioiettino