I Played In A National Tournament; This Is My Diary

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Don't worry Gozo
Butterfly is soon to release their latest top end rubber. You should be able to win 1 to 2 points more per game with that new rubber.

32 tables in 1 day? Big space. NICE
and the hall does look very classy! NICE
You should see the toilet. And can you believe that this is a not for profit private school.

@Tony's Table Tennis , 这个是中文语言学校.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey @Gozo ,

Sounds a bit unfair that you are in a tournament where you couldn't assess your level relative to whom you were playing before it started.

Hoping the level you faced, should you decide to aspire to reach it, will influence how you approach the sport. We (adult learners) have all been at the cutting phase. You only get beyond it by developing weapons to enter the rally on your terms. I suspect that as frazzled as you were by the level of aggression you faced, if you played those players on a regular basis, you would learn to block them much better. Blocking is a legitimate style at any level, not as sexy or imposing as attacking, but it does need you to get used to the power and placement of the attacker and that usually comes naturally with practice.

The fact you couldn't open up against these players is eye-opening but again, without knowing their level relative to you or seeing some video, it would be self-serving for me to draw too much from it. Everyone is outclassed by the speed and quality of someone else at some level except maybe the World Champion at the time they are the World Champion. I suspect though that unless you popped up the ball, you were almost always able to block the opener, or at least touch it, which I hope shows you a contrast with your current style that tries to hit untouchable winners. It is probably not as fun to you to play like the people who beat you, but I learned to enjoy it. I am probably a bit too conservative given this crappy plastic ball and my movement limitations. But I am.virtually unbeatable against a certain level and speed of player and I am looking for weapons to slow down and beat the faster players.

All that said, you should soon be back to hitting the untouchable winners at your home club and being in those pushing rallies. Then you can decide if you are happy with playing the way you play or if you want to build new weapons to get better at defusing the modern topsin style by either getting higher level players to play against or getting coaching to work on being more precise. And if you decide that you are largely okay where you are, that is fine as well - it is unusual to take that acceptance so early in your learning but it's not a bad thing for sure, again the sport is largely fun for most of us.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi Gozo, all i can say is that i've played many such tournaments recently with the same result. I'm rather relatively good at rallying compared to my overall level, but i'm just getting outplayed in serve / receive and can't get often enough to rallies. i'm like losing usually 3-4 something or even 6 points on receive per game. (directly or making a receive too easy to attack for the opponent). Its like a handicap match. the other guy doesn't even sweat, even if i can make some excellent points in between.

But the reason is simple: i'm not used to practice with players of this level. I've been getting a lot of top level coaching , but every server is different. My coach can't show me every possible serve motion and anyway i've got limited time with him.

Fortunately, i found a new place to practice. In that new place, according to their etiquette, its possible to challenge any player, even if their level is much higher, to best-of-3 games. Of course the result is the same than in the matches, but now i can hope to progress and get better each week, facing a lot of new players with many different styles and serves.

When i will play this kind of player in tournaments in the future, it will not be something "special" anymore but something i experience every week. I won't beat them next week or even the next 3 months, but in 1 year time, if i get used to receive serves of that level, odds will be flattened a lot and i can hope to start to grab a few wins against players who are out of reach for me for the time being.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
EXCESSIVE AIR HUMIDITY
January is admittedly the most rainy season for SW Asian region, and the indoor air should get moistened up to 70% RH, and more so where a full house of people attended inside the playing venue. How do Malaisian players deal with the excessive humidity problem? Some air-conditioner maybe?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
EXCESSIVE AIR HUMIDITY
January is admittedly the most rainy season for SW Asian region, and the indoor air should get moistened up to 70% RH, and more so where a full house of people attended inside the playing venue. How do Malaisian players deal with the excessive humidity problem? Some air-conditioner maybe?
Its July now igor

This user has no status.
Good morning to all, it is now 7.30am and after a good rest, I am ready to write a blog post of yesterday's event while it is still fresh in my mind for sharing purpose.

1. I was up at 5.00am yesterday and I reached the venue at 8.00am. Even though I am one hour early, the car park is full and I was forced to park at some distance away from the venue.

2. Once inside, the venue is already pack and crowded. There are over 300 plus participants in this Team Event. 64 teams of five pax each. All singles matches only.

3. The hall is very big and modern and fully air conditioned. I cannot believe that this venue is a not for profit private school and its operation is fully funded by public donation with little or no help from the government. Even the toilets feels like a decent hotel level in terms of cleanliness and upkeep.

4. There are 32 tables in the main hall for OPEN EVENT with a secondary hall reserved for elementary school students only competition. My team and I made our way to Table 32 and checked-in with the match officials. It is now 8.30pm and my team started our warm-up routine and controlled short driving strokes. We cannot really do power looping strokes as it is very crowded and if the ball flies off, it is very difficult to retrieve the ball amidst the hundreds of legs.

5. Before I go on, I do apologize there is no video recording because the hall is very crowded and if there is recording, it will be obscured by hundreds of people walking around or worse; bumping into the camera and damaging it. So, apologies for no video recording.

6. I participated in the OPEN event where there are U10 players up to 70 years-old something grandpa pipster. There are no rating and it is a FREE for ALL.

7. It is now 9.00am and the organizer announced in the PA for all the participants to gather at the front of the hall, near the podium to witness the officiating of the event. FYI, this is an annual event and this is the 38th times the event has been held. After singing the national anthem and listening to a couple speeches by the CEO of the corporate sponsors ( there is this particular corporate sponsor that was giving out free fried rice and dumplings as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility effort ).

8. 9.30am, the umpire approached the teams in my Group and start the game. I am the weakest player in my group and my job is to go against the strongest player in the opposing team. I have to face three players in three respective team and all three are male youth players; those high-schoolers who trained 6 days a week in a coaching program type. Similar to those that @Tony's Table Tennis shown in his previous video.

9. I will not describe all three matches because their playing style are similar, that is to say, shake-hand grip two inverted ESN / Tenergy / Dignics rubbers and two wings looping fast attacking style. I mean these kids all go through the same coaching program, hence their style is pretty cookie-cutter.

10. My first game was me acting like a deer in the headlight syndrome. I was stunned and not used to the speed of their attacking pace. I lost as expected with a humiliating 11-1 scoreline. In my usual social club setting, our pace is more subdue, where usually after we serve, we will tend to go into a few cutting / pushing exchange to try to seize the opportunity to open up. And I am used to this pace.

11. But NOOOOOOOO.... these high-schoolers open up at all 3rd ball no matter where the ball land. No matter if I cut or push either to their FH or BH, they will open up and with spin. Even if I can block it, they will be ready with one or two or three or four conter-drives. These kids are relentless. I counted on average I can block like one or two before losing the points. The best I ever did was able to block four of their counter-drives and won a point ( Yay! My best point, wish I had it recorded ).

12. All in all, I did not WIN a single set. Yup I sucked this much. But then, this is to be expected and my personal objective is prevent myself losing under five points. In total I played 3 players with a total of 9 sets. Except for the first two sets where I got a 11-1 and 11-4 scoreline ( deer in headlight syndrome ), the rest of the remainder seven sets I manage to suck a little bit less, with my best scoreline being 12-14 ( CHO-LEH )

13. How did I lose? My receive game is poor. I failed to open up upon their receive and played a passive cut / push of which these high-schoolers are just waiting gleefully for it. They will open up no matter where I push to them, be it their BH or FH. If the ball is short, they will flick it or push long to me, knowing I do not have a consistent open-up skill. I tried several time to open up with my BH, but it went into the net often so I gave up and played it safe, which is a poor option nevertheless.

14. How did I lose not so badly? In another words, how did I get my winning points? Well, I can say my own service earn me some saving grace points. I alternate my serve with short strong backspin with placement as well as fast long to opponent's cross-over point. Some of my blocks did surprise them, as they did not expect this old fat dude to bounce the ball back, not just once, but sometimes twice. The best I did was four blocks in a row.

15. How did my team-mate performed? Let just say we did not make it to the knockout stage. Since this is an OPEN event, I can say this tournament is out of our league. These youngsters are playing at a different level. Nonetheless, it was all in good fun and what a sporting life is all about.

Thank you for your attention. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer as best as I could.View attachment 25889View attachment 25890View attachment 25891
Against modern style high level players you won't even be able to prevent the serve from being attacked directly to all corners of the table. Short balls will be chiquitaed and FH flicked, long balls will just be looped. :)

If you can't beat them at their game why not just put a piece of long pips on the BH and confuse the heck out of them? I feel like it's really, really difficult for players who are not so athletic to win against well trained conventional two wing inverted players.

Furthermore, BH long pips is the perfect complement to your FH "hulk smash", you just push with your long pips and wait for them to give you a high ball to hulk smash 😂 Best thing is that you can concentrate fully on your FH smash without worrying about BH looping or other hard to learn techniques! Also long pips aren't affected that bad by spin variations so you've taken out receiving issues out of the equation lol

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Against modern style high level players you won't even be able to prevent the serve from being attacked directly to all corners of the table. Short balls will be chiquitaed and FH flicked, long balls will just be looped. :)

If you can't beat them at their game why not just put a piece of long pips on the BH and confuse the heck out of them? I feel like it's really, really difficult for players who are not so athletic to win against well trained conventional two wing inverted players.

Furthermore, BH long pips is the perfect complement to your FH "hulk smash", you just push with your long pips and wait for them to give you a high ball to hulk smash 😂 Best thing is that you can concentrate fully on your FH smash without worrying about BH looping or other hard to learn techniques! Also long pips aren't affected that bad by spin variations so you've taken out receiving issues out of the equation lol
You are not the first person to suggest me using long-pips on my BH. But I am a recalcitrant old-fart. I love my BH open-ups against my regular club members. I usually have more time against them as we tend to go into a pushing rally for like four or five times first, sort of those old fashion elderly gentlemanly date with a proper lady. We will go on those proper date first before you know... do other stuff. Unlike these modern youngsters... after the first date or on the first date, they will want to do other stuff.

Likewise, these 6 days per week intensive training youngsters, they will open-up anywhere on the 3rd or 2nd ball.

p/s: I love my BH T05 dearly and cannot part with it for a long-pips.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hey @Gozo ,

Sounds a bit unfair that you are in a tournament where you couldn't assess your level relative to whom you were playing before it started.

Hoping the level you faced, should you decide to aspire to reach it, will influence how you approach the sport. We (adult learners) have all been at the cutting phase. You only get beyond it by developing weapons to enter the rally on your terms. I suspect that as frazzled as you were by the level of aggression you faced, if you played those players on a regular basis, you would learn to block them much better. Blocking is a legitimate style at any level, not as sexy or imposing as attacking, but it does need you to get used to the power and placement of the attacker and that usually comes naturally with practice.

The fact you couldn't open up against these players is eye-opening but again, without knowing their level relative to you or seeing some video, it would be self-serving for me to draw too much from it. Everyone is outclassed by the speed and quality of someone else at some level except maybe the World Champion at the time they are the World Champion. I suspect though that unless you popped up the ball, you were almost always able to block the opener, or at least touch it, which I hope shows you a contrast with your current style that tries to hit untouchable winners. It is probably not as fun to you to play like the people who beat you, but I learned to enjoy it. I am probably a bit too conservative given this crappy plastic ball and my movement limitations. But I am.virtually unbeatable against a certain level and speed of player and I am looking for weapons to slow down and beat the faster players.

All that said, you should soon be back to hitting the untouchable winners at your home club and being in those pushing rallies. Then you can decide if you are happy with playing the way you play or if you want to build new weapons to get better at defusing the modern topsin style by either getting higher level players to play against or getting coaching to work on being more precise. And if you decide that you are largely okay where you are, that is fine as well - it is unusual to take that acceptance so early in your learning but it's not a bad thing for sure, again the sport is largely fun for most of us.
NL,
To be fair, the tournament registration form did indicate OPEN tournament, hence it is a free for all event. I went in there with a open heart. I was prepared to be slaughtered. I wanted to experience the slaughter. The entrance fee is only USD 5.00 and for this price, I got a chance to play a best of five game against 3 provincial level type players. I think it is money worth. In my normal club setting, being a 100% social club, there is zero chance for me to even see the shadow of these level players.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and latej
This user has no status.
You are not the first person to suggest me using long-pips on my BH. But I am a recalcitrant old-fart. I love my BH open-ups against my regular club members. I usually have more time against them as we tend to go into a pushing rally for like four or five times first, sort of those old fashion elderly gentlemanly date with a proper lady. We will go on those proper date first before you know... do other stuff. Unlike these modern youngsters... after the first date or on the first date, they will want to do other stuff.

Likewise, these 6 days per week intensive training youngsters, they will open-up anywhere on the 3rd or 2nd ball.

p/s: I love my BH T05 dearly and cannot part with it for a long-pips.
😂 lol I simply think you would play better with long pips on your BH, given that you're not taking advantage of the best that shakehand inverted BH has to offer (namely chiquita, spicy BH loops and sudden switches down the line which are the cornerstone of the modern TT BH). Almost all of the old guys who have wins against high level youngsters with proper training have some sort of pips on one side - I seldom see any double inverted older folk stand any chance unless they themselves are very athletic and have advanced techniques.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NL,
To be fair, the tournament registration form did indicate OPEN tournament, hence it is a free for all event. I went in there with a open heart. I was prepared to be slaughtered. I wanted to experience the slaughter. The entrance fee is only USD 5.00 and for this price, I got a chance to play a best of five game against 3 provincial level type players. I think it is money worth. In my normal club setting, being a 100% social club, there is zero chance for me to even see the shadow of these level players.
Yes, but even in Opens in the US, we have a rating system with seeding criteria. So no one goes in 100% blind. The most important thing is that you found some fun in it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, but even in Opens in the US, we have a rating system with seeding criteria. So no one goes in 100% blind. The most important thing is that you found some fun in it.
many countries don't have rating system tournaments
mostly it is age group open
USA has a very thorough rating system tournament, quite unbelieable the amount of events in 1 tournament (ie US nationals)

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
😂 lol I simply think you would play better with long pips on your BH, given that you're not taking advantage of the best that shakehand inverted BH has to offer (namely chiquita, spicy BH loops and sudden switches down the line which are the cornerstone of the modern TT BH). Almost all of the old guys who have wins against high level youngsters with proper training have some sort of pips on one side - I seldom see any double inverted older folk stand any chance unless they themselves are very athletic and have advanced techniques.
It doesnt even have to be long pips, sometimes short or medium pips or even thin sponged inverted gave similar effects and would be good enough for what Gozo does. It is just adjusting to new material that is the problem but isn't fun. But up to about 1800, I could use short pips on my backhand without losing much. Once my spin levels became really heavy, it became a trickier issue. But Gozo is not there yet. He can can definitely hit with pips the way he hits with inverted on the backhand, but not long pips though.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
It doesnt even have to be long pips, sometimes short or medium pips or even thin sponged inverted gave similar effects and would be good enough for what Gozo does. It is just adjusting to new material that is the problem but isn't fun. But up to about 1800, I could use short pips on my backhand without losing much. Once my spin levels became really heavy, it became a trickier issue. But Gozo is not there yet. He can can definitely hit with pips the way he hits with inverted on the backhand, but not long pips though.
Yes. A true competitive BH loop is difficult to develop and requires a lot of development in terms of spin generation. FH loop is comparatively easier and I see many club players having decent FH. Also Gozo likes to hit so pips may complement his game quite a bit. I feel like with inverted you really have to invest into getting a lot of spin in your strokes to get ahead and that can be quite a painful journey of improvement compared to pips.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Just submitted my application form to play in my Province / State Open. The last time this tournament was held was in 2019 just before Covid lockdown. This year, the format is very interesting: Only Team event to be held. And the game format is as below:

1. Game 1: Singles Veteran ( above 60 y/o )
2. Game 2: Doubles can be XD, WD or MD
3. Game 3: WS ( open age )
4. Game 4: Doubles can be XD, WD or MD
5. Game 5: Singles ( open age )
A team must consist of minimum one female and one veteran. A player can only play maximum of of one singles and one doubles and no more.

The date of event is end of Sep-23.

Yee har! Back to training....