Interrupting opponent's service

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
In the ITTF Mixed Team World Cup stage 2, Sweden played Korea.

Lee Z played Bergstrom. In the third game (2-0) when Lee was leading 10-8, she interrupted Bergstrom's service 3 times. Worse yet, Lee raised her hand AFTER Burgstrom tossed the ball, just to wipe the table. But the umpire said nothing????

After a 30s drama, Burgstrom obviously looked annoyed and lost the last point due to an edge. Lee didn't even raise her hand to apologize 😠

In short, Lee's behaviour showed no sportsmanship. But did she break any rule?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
11.4 Unreadiness
11.4.1 The umpire may declare a let if the receiver or his or her partner is not ready, provided the
receiver makes no attempt to return the ball. However, the fact that the receiver makes no
stroke does not itself justify a let and the umpire must decide whether the receiver was
really unready or, perhaps, merely unwilling to try to return what appeared to be a difficult
service. Players should be encouraged to show when they are unready by raising a hand.

COMMENTARY BY a PUNDIT UMPIRE
At the start of service, you may signal your unreadiness to play at any time, provided you made no attempt to get the ball back.

If being unready, just lift hand upwards and don't touch the incoming service anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
11.4 Unreadiness
11.4.1 The umpire may declare a let if the receiver or his or her partner is not ready, provided the
receiver makes no attempt to return the ball. However, the fact that the receiver makes no
stroke does not itself justify a let and the umpire must decide whether the receiver was
really unready or, perhaps, merely unwilling to try to return what appeared to be a difficult
service. Players should be encouraged to show when they are unready by raising a hand.

COMMENTARY BY a PUNDIT UMPIRE
At the start of service, you may signal your unreadiness to play at any time, provided you made no attempt to get the ball back.

If being unready, just lift hand upwards and don't touch the incoming service anyway.
Thanks. It explains it. Although not illegal, it was very immature of Lee.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
The game should be played at the server’s pace.

At least that should be the etiquette.

It’s creeping in for the receiver to intentional disrupt, slow down or time waste to try to gain a psychological edge.

I believe a coach can give tips now in between points like the rule change in Tennis after the famous Serena debacle.

And also how critical a timeout can be to the outcome of a given set or match. Delaying or time wasting if done craftily enough can have a similar effect.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
The game should be played at the server’s pace.

At least that should be the etiquette.

It’s creeping in for the receiver to intentional disrupt, slow down or time waste to try to gain a psychological edge.

I believe a coach can give tips now in between points like the rule change in Tennis after the famous Serena debacle.

And also how critical a timeout can be to the outcome of a given set or match. Delaying or time wasting if done craftily enough can have a similar effect.
So basically a point ends the player quickly grabs the ball and serves immediately again... Ye sounds fun to me.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
So basically a point ends the player quickly grabs the ball and serves immediately again... Ye sounds fun to me.

So you are saying in a *split second* you are able to determine the ball trajectory, direction, spin and speed and calculate to the best of your abilities your most optimum return within the flow of a rally

BUT

you need to delay your opponent about to or already in their service motion for *5-10 secs* to prepare yourself to receive a ball that will bounce twice before it even gets to you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
in pro play I am in favor of the umpire giving a handsignal that the server can start serving and from there on they have around 5sek time to serve. The receiver would have no way of delaying this. And in Amateur play I don´t think this was ever an issue, more so that the servers usually don´t even think and just want to serve straight away...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Let’s say you are the receiver. You lower your body in a ready position. Your opponent was about to serve, tossed the ball and you interrupt just because you want to.

Can you do that as many times as you want? It looks like the rule allows such a behaviour. So you can be an asshole when leading 11-10 by raising your hand 5 times.

Reactions: ZFT
This user has no status.
In the Yuan Licen vs Alexis Lebrun match (avail on YT), Yuan tried this tactic to excess and was rewarded with yellow then red cards. Presumably this came about by applying a general rule of sportmanship at the discretion of the umpire? I would expect/hope that umpires at this level should be able to apply such discretion/judgement.