Is the german ITTV commentator right about Patrick Baum?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
I don't believe that is Prause. It sounds more like the scottish and new commentator from Spain (correct me please I can't remember)? Michael is the other German commentator so I'm not even certain if Prause was commenting at all during the tournament. Just going through the videos on ittv I can't really seem to find his voice.

Could be that it's not Prause, but I seriously doubt this guy could be from Spain. The accent sounds german.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
http://www.ittf.com/ittv/

If you go in here you can actually see the match in full.

What the guy with the german accent says is:

"I must say, I would have expected this kind of start from the likes of Ma Long, players who are known to have probably a few consistency problems, problems of finding a rhythm early in the game, but not Zhang Jike, pretty unusual to me."

Listen from 7:40 on. Then you can tell me if it's Prause or not! :)

This user has no status.

"I must say, I would have expected this kind of start from the likes of Ma Long, players who are known to have probably a few consistency problems, problems of finding a rhythm early in the game, but not Zhang Jike, pretty unusual to me."

You mean the match against Svensson? That's for sure not Prause! And I doubt that it's a german speaker, sounds more like a scandinavian..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Weird indeed, CNT had a training tournament with only 1 game matches a while ago BECAUSE Zhang Jike and Wang Hao are slow starters. Ma Long is more like a quick starter lol, look at the scores he makes in the first games of his matches. 11-3 against Dima, 11-2 against Oh Sang Eun. While Zhang lost the first games to Svensson, Kim Min Seok and almost to Boll. Wang Hao lost first games to Ryu Seung Min (11-4) and Baum.

This user has no status.
the scottish guy is northern irish ,jonny cowan, zhang did nt start slow in the final being 2-0 up in ten minutes v boll.
Prause seems very honest and has got germany to no 2 in the world...
I had a chat with im in Rotterdam in the butterfly store, he was very amiable and informative.He said Boll would beat chen qi but then probably just fail against the next chinese, which is exactly what happened.Baum s two time euro single r.up to boll the last 2 years .Suss been injured for ages and stegar got thrashed of the chinese when he plays them, /Baum almost upset wang hao could easily have won the 4th. Germany have a great youngster coming through ,if he can force his way in for the next 2 years then maybe a chance, but the shots the chinese were playing were out of this world.. the top four chinese are miles ahead of even the rest of the chinese squad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
You mean the match against Svensson? That's for sure not Prause! And I doubt that it's a german speaker, sounds more like a scandinavian..

No. Not the match against Svensson. In the match against Svensson the expert (a Swedish guy) actually talked about Zhang Jike being a slow starter.

This was the game against Kim Min Seok. Listen yourself to see if it's Prause or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
No. Not the match against Svensson. In the match against Svensson the expert (a Swedish guy) actually talked about Zhang Jike being a slow starter.

This was the game against Kim Min Seok. Listen yourself to see if it's Prause or not.

I listened on ittv now in the Kim Min Seok game :p Prause is not 1 of the commentators there, 100%.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Ok, who is it!? This is the same guy that I said seem to have a bias towards Bastian Steger. And the same guy that disagreed with the swede over that. He and the swede also have differing opinions regarding Zhang Jike being a slow starter.

Can you give me an example where Prause comments?

This user has no status.
I listened on ittv now in the Kim Min Seok game :p Prause is not 1 of the commentators there, 100%.

You're right, it's not Prause. But I dont know who it is, could be Sebastian, one of the two ITTF commentators that won the competition?

I just found one video with google where Prause gives an interview at Zagreb 2007, it's in german but you hear his voice..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4102916860879033857
And i know i watched some games during this WTTC where he was commentating but unfortunately can't remember which ones..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
the scottish guy is northern irish ,jonny cowan, zhang did nt start slow in the final being 2-0 up in ten minutes v boll.
Prause seems very honest and has got germany to no 2 in the world...
I had a chat with im in Rotterdam in the butterfly store, he was very amiable and informative.He said Boll would beat chen qi but then probably just fail against the next chinese, which is exactly what happened.Baum s two time euro single r.up to boll the last 2 years .Suss been injured for ages and stegar got thrashed of the chinese when he plays them, /Baum almost upset wang hao could easily have won the 4th. Germany have a great youngster coming through ,if he can force his way in for the next 2 years then maybe a chance, but the shots the chinese were playing were out of this world.. the top four chinese are miles ahead of even the rest of the chinese squad.

It definitely isn't Prause. I also agree with everything that Harry says here ie Suss injured, Steger struggling to beat Chinese (although who doesn't?!), Baum going close in the 4th. I can't imagine many people whose table tennis opinion I value higher than Prause. My guess is that it was very close between Baum and Steger for the 3rd German spot for the Olympics (Steger got it) and that the reason is that it gives the Germans more options for doubles at the Olympics. It let's them choose to let Timo or Dima play two singles and still have credible chances in the doubles.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My exact sentiments Matt. Baum does not have the consistency (which was why I said he might lose the 3rd singles against Japan), but Steger is not that great either. The Olympics is the biggest sporting event, and Rosskopf has a major conundrum on who to fill the final spot in the German team.

Pass over Suss???!! Might be Suss' choice of Girlfriend? haha. Suss is Uber cool and way more compelling a personality than the rest of the team put together. Still, if anyone wants to chop off the head of the former German Mr. table Tennis and take over the team, go right ahead.

I like this discussion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Just to keep it alive: who _is_ the expert commenting? And why did he drop this comment about Zhang Jike? He sounded quite informed on other manners, but here he seems to fake it.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Pass over Suss???!! Might be Suss' choice of Girlfriend? haha. Suss is Uber cool and way more compelling a personality than the rest of the team put together. Still, if anyone wants to chop off the head of the former German Mr. table Tennis and take over the team, go right ahead.

I like this discussion.

I think Suss is already in the team. Timo, Dima and Suss are pretty much confirmed. Suss is super kool and Simply Red!:)

This user has no status.
:cool: IMG_0621.jpg harry and the fox with the suss,,, really friendly guy...