Is there really a difference between ESN hybrid rubbers?

They could have different pip structure, like the various tenergies do. Minor differences but some people notice them.
You bring up a good point. I notice a massive difference between Tenergy 05, 64, and 80. I extremely disliked 64, it has a much lower spin to speed ratio. Tenergy 05 has the most spin with the longest trajectory. I always miss the table a few inches long or wide with 05. 80 was perfect for me. That being said, hybrids don't work for me. I just don't like most of them. The only one that was playable for me was Xiom Vega China which is more similar to a standard ESN rubber than a hybrid. Is Xiom Vega China even considered a hybrid?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Different between "generations" anyway. But I guess some of the are the same...

Probably some of them are a unique combo of sponge and topsheet. Some may be the same. For ESN to manufacture unique products for all companies does not make sense.
Many of them are definitely identical.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Here's this wonderful site that posts cross section of rubbers.

https://www.guoqiuhui.net/Home/Goods/goods/cat_id/14

Chances are if the rated hardness by the manufacturers are the same (or similar) the topsheet and the sponges look similar --> the rubbers will be very similar.
I wouldn't be shocked if someone bought C53 today and half a year later along with a K3 the K3 would be more similar to the original C53 than the 2nd sheet of C53.

The site also lists if the rubber is sticky or grippy, for example V>20 by cross section looks like Dragon Grip but V>20 is not sticky so I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. That being said it does play similar to K3.

Be happy???

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
So in actual performance, what is the difference between C53 and K3. I think Paddle palace lists C53 higher for speed, but I'm a little skeptical that there is any discernable difference.

What is the difference between Dragon Grip and Bluegrip C2? Paddle palace lists DG as only 88 for speed and C2 as 94. Oddly C1 is 98. Would C2 really be that much faster?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Whether they are objectively behaving very differently and whether you can tell/feel correctly (that two rubbers are behaving the same/differently) are two different things. Some people are insensitive, some people are paranoid.
I would love to see people do a blind test video and see if they can tell the rubbers apart.

Let a tester play with C53 and K3.

Then cover up the label and sponge color, and let them play with both rubbers randomly. How many times can they correctly guess which is which? Im pretty skeptical, but if you can tell them apart, then surely they are different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I would love to see people do a blind test video and see if they can tell the rubbers apart.

Let a tester play with C53 and K3.

Then cover up the label and sponge color, and let them play with both rubbers randomly. How many times can they correctly guess which is which? Im pretty skeptical, but if you can tell them apart, then surely they are different.

It's easier to differentiate hybrid rubbers than Tensor rubbers. The C53 is very little sticky and looks more like a tensor. But yes indeed they are far from being very different and blindly we can differentiate them but difficult to say which would be the most efficient.

Tiz

This user has no status.

Tiz

This user has no status.
Jan 2023
So in actual performance, what is the difference between C53 and K3. I think Paddle palace lists C53 higher for speed, but I'm a little skeptical that there is any discernable difference.

What is the difference between Dragon Grip and Bluegrip C2? Paddle palace lists DG as only 88 for speed and C2 as 94. Oddly C1 is 98. Would C2 really be that much faster?
According to these 2 tests C53 is a bit bouncier than K3, the top sheet stickiness measured pretty much the same.