Is this blade too fast for me?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The OP gets alot of advice about other stuff than his original question. I hope you do not feel offended about this, we are just trying to help ;)

Reactions: MOG and jammmail

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Mog,

You should probably explain to people that you are almost the worst equipment junkie out there :p

It takes a while to get used to a set up, and as others have said, people can adapt.

The blade isn't overly quick, and if you stuck with it for a few months (properly), you'd probably have a better idea.

It's virtually impossible to tell anything about the equipment when you change as often as you do!

But if I had to make any sort of recommendation, I'd say to leave the blade alone (it's a nice blade), go back to inverted rubbers on both sides, and don't mess around with equipment for a year!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I play a similar game, but with inverted rubbers and I try to topspin more often. If I had another modern control rubber on BH, like Vega Pro or Aurus or Karis M or whatever, and I used the rest of your setup, I would immediately be at home topspinning away.

Your equipment (assuming you can adjust to Short Pips on BH and go for a little less on your BH topspins) is not out of line and perfectly usable and controllable for what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the posts, some good advice in there, my movement has always been weak. I have a sheet of 1.9 05fx I could put on the blade instead of max. I have been using 1.9 last 12 months and switched back to max about a month ago. This blade is great when I am generally the more attacking player. I have a donic waldner jo shape too but that feels really stiff and hard work to use although it is better for blocking.

I think i will stop EJing put the 1.9 on the fh and work on my feet a bit more and stick with the OSP for now.

Reactions: Suga D

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hey Mog,

You should probably explain to people that you are almost the worst equipment junkie out there :p

It takes a while to get used to a set up, and as others have said, people can adapt.

The blade isn't overly quick, and if you stuck with it for a few months (properly), you'd probably have a better idea.

It's virtually impossible to tell anything about the equipment when you change as often as you do!

But if I had to make any sort of recommendation, I'd say to leave the blade alone (it's a nice blade), go back to inverted rubbers on both sides, and don't mess around with equipment for a year!

NDH do I know you? I feel like I do?
I think I am better with the short pimples TBH. I don't get as hung up about serves. I have got bored of playing with inverted both sides!!

NDH

says Spin to win!
Haha, not directly, although I get notified of your blade change through FB posts every other day in the "Everything Table Tennis" group! ;)

I definitely think that once you get to an OK playing level, you can make your equipment work for you.

You seemed to really like the OSP, so I wouldn't discard it straight away if it was me.

Perhaps use it over the summer, and then see if it fits with your style!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think you need to develop your strokes first. Probably thinner rubbers and not too bouncy too?

I have handle issues Yogi, basically I only like Stiga legend handles. Used Infinity a lot recently but its so annoying and hollow especially with short pimples on bh.
Are Avalox blades big handles? Or is there any other make with large handles?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hmmm newer blades from Stiga only have master flared. Yes. From what i have tried AVX blades have big flared handles.

Do avalox make anything similar to Infinity but without that horrible hollow feel?
Maybe something almost stiff so short pimples still work?

Something between Infinity and TSPW/Virtuoso +?

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
yes just been looking at that, p700 is like a thinner clipper somewhere between clipper/force pro and a flexy 5 ply maybe?
is flared handle same size as stigas?

Upside down Carl?
What do you think, If my virtuoso + is too flexy and force pro was not bad but a bit too stiff?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Clipper would be good for short pimple too i think, and you can definely loop with it aswell. How long did you try it? why did you not like it? I have played with one before and i think it is a good blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I Do not understand What you mean by Hollow. Never felt so about a blade. I think the numb feeling is Maybe because it is made out of only Wood and is a little stiff and hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I'm very surprised you find the clipper hollow and your OSP not so. 7-plies, 5 layers of uniform wood, thicker, stiffer, should give a slightly softer but much more denser/solid feeling on high impact than the Virtuoso. I actually find the Clipper one of the few mass-market blades to NOT feel hollow...

The P700 should be slightly harder than the clipper, but more hollow feeling.

I'm testing 5 custom blades with a "high density" theme from a maker on another forum. If you don't mind waiting, maybe there can be some good suggestions.

Short answer for solid, dense, non-hollow blades are:
1. Single material blades (7-ply hinoki, spruce, or basswood) all available commercially
2. Hard wood core, OSP Ultimate (old version)

Last edited: