Is Zhang Jike scared of Ma Long?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
A lot of discussion has gone into this subject however this topic has not directly been put out. So this discussion is completely focused on ZJK and ML. ZJK has opted not to play ML on numerous occasions. Some for injury some by choice. Was the injury genuine? ZJK didn't play ML in the Chinese Super League. ZJK pulled out of one of the Pro Tours (can't remember which) against Yan An in the last 16 or quarters (can't remember lol) knowing that he would meet ML in the final.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Zhang Jike didn't want play against ML because he didn't want to show ML his tactics so ML can't find right tactics against those tactics that ZJK do against him.
I'm taking about tactics that ZJK use against ML in Kuwait Open and beat him easily :
Going BH to BH with ML and win the point or serve in ML's forehand and attack the return of it or return ML's serve short in his FH and attack the next ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
It is clear to me that from this article ZJK wanted to play ML. ZJK wanted to play ML to stretch himself and give himself a challenge. This is an insult to Wang Hao. I would be very irritated if I was Wang Hao. ZJK felt that if he were to play ML he would be more motivated and really want to win.

This is NOT an insult to Wang Hao.

See this video, ZJk explained why he wanted to play against Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I think ML is insane now he can beat anyone as long as he doesn't crack under pressure like he does in other big tournaments.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I think ML is insane now he can beat anyone as long as he doesn't crack under pressure like he does in other big tournaments.
No, he can't. He was not under pressure in Final of Kuwait open and lost to ZJK. He was not under pressure In first round of 2012 CTTSL and lost to ZJK. He was not under pressure in final of Korea open and lost to Xu Xin.
Zhang Jike's losses are because lake of motivation not because he can't win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
No, he can't. He was not under pressure in Final of Kuwait open and lost to ZJK. He was not under pressure In first round of 2012 CTTSL and lost to ZJK. He was not under pressure in final of Korea open and lost to Xu Xin.
Zhang Jike's losses are because lake of motivation not because he can't win.
Nah. I think he's always been the best at least technically and the way he plays maybe not mentally. I think it's pressure that loses him games and it could be his mentality due to the pressure. How do you know someone is not under pressure? I don't know that he's under pressure it's just what I think.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Nah. I think he's always been the best at least technically and the way he plays maybe not mentally. I think it's pressure that loses him games and it could be his mentality due to the pressure. How do you know someone is not under pressure? I don't know that he's under pressure it's just what I think.
Maybe he was under pressure but still nothing change. A player MUST have really good mentality to be a great player unless he will never won a big tournament.
Ma Long was in 5 major tournaments( 2 world cups and 3 WTTCs ) and just won 1 of them.
Zhang Jike was in 5 major tournaments( 2 world cup, 2 WTTCs and 1 OG ) and won 4 of them and be in final of all of them.
This shows how much mentality is important.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Why would Zhang Jike be scared of Ma Long? For a start he knows if he plays well he can win that match, even if Ma Long has a better record and secondly ZJK knows that Ma Long's performances at major events have been shakey, so he hasn't even had to play him the last 3 times. I don't think Zhang Jike is scared of any other player, if he was then he wouldn't display the confidence which helps him win on the big stage. When he's focused there is no fear of loss for him.

Reactions: ttmonster and WiWa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Le meilleur c'est celui qui gagne les grands titres (jeux olympique, championnat du monde) c'est lui qui va rentrer dans la légende et c'est de lui qu'on va se souvenir... Et ZJ est celui là!
Zhang a déjà gagner autant de titres majeurs (2x champion du monde, 1x champion Olympique, vainqueur de la coupe du monde...) que Waldner.
Ma Long à encore un peu de temps pour se rattraper, mais s'il ne se dépêche pas, il va aussi rentrer dans la légende, "comme second couteau"...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Right now, in the National Games, it is quite possible that their teams meet, and guess what ...?
Zhang Jike shows signs of injury! Just like the previous time in the super league!
Everybody admits that these two are the current best players and clash of the big ones is
not what either of them likes. And between these two, Zhang Jike is the one who feels more
stress, because if he loses, it might be said that he won those big titles because Ma Long was not
there (or was eliminated in previous rounds).
I wouldn't use the word 'scared', but neither is comfortable to play the other.
About Zhang Jike's interview where he says he preferred to play Ma Long in the final of WTTC, I think
this was only a smart polite answer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
No one will be able to answer this question, of course.
But, ZJK avoiding playing against ML is the reason this post has been created.

It is also worth mentioning the the final of 2012 Asian Championships in which ZJK avoided
shaking hands with ML. I know that lots of reasons (excuses) were stated later but
how could you shake hands with the referees and forget your roommate!?

Be clear. Are you saying that ZJK faked his injury?