jang song man.. one of the great unknown defenders

says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
says cornilleau hinotec off+ is a carbon blade well suited...
Nov 2012
I saw a video clip of this guy from north korea and was impressed with how he played both defensively and offensively. His name is Jang song man( hope I got his name correctly) and I like his style compared to joo see hyok.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
There is no doubt he is the man . Infact I was able to find some videos of him playing Hi Zhi When ( 2008 olympics ) and Xu Xin ( 2010 complete with Xu Xin's MJ move :) ) . I am just sad thinking how much effort would have gone into perfecting such a style ..... pretty much every shot has to be full blooded either defence or offence since short pips would not influence either greatly , it will give spin but not so much as a Tenergy or a Long Pips . Man .... politics in sports is such a waste !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
I remember this match. It was played in Hong Kong. Cheung Yuk sprained his shoulder muscles in this match.

This is one of my favourite matches! Jang Song Man is one of the world's only short pimple defensive players. Being from North Korea he is hardly seen on the world stage which is a shame, he is a great player!

Thanks for showing your appreciation for defensive styles. At OOAK Table tennis forum we have been following Jang Song Man for some years now. He is amazing and is a steady top 100 player. I wonder where he would be if he was allowed to play more. He has long pimples (Feint Soft) and T64 on FH on a BTY Defence II blade. For more videos & information about Jang Song Man: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15759 A famous short pip defender is youngster Yuto Muramatsu who was world's number 46 earlier this year before getting a shoulder injury. If you're interested in more about him: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14108

Reactions: DutToitymnTon