Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey guys, so after taking the advice of many fellow penholders on rpb grip (and failing) , I finally went back to my almost flat mid and ring finger type of a grip today. And it clicked. Looping, punching and blocking to both sides of the table, with all sorts of angles. It was so fun today. Thank you all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Glad to know. Did you sand the back of the handle? It helps with RPB as well.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
About 2 or 3 months ago, fellow TTD member 42andbackpains and I met up with our old table tennis crew and played for the day. One of my friends/brothers from the TT crew gave me his old Butterfly Taksim Arylate-Carbon blade. I didn't ask what happened to the blade, but you can see i need to clean it up a bit LOL Have started to sand down the wings a little.

20170522_174526_1495725814168.jpg20170522_174537_1495725814682.jpg20170522_174737-1_1495725814861.jpg

An off-the-shelf/factory Double Happiness 5-ply blade from ~1980's (if not late 1970's) ... it was my uncle's, he passed away 5 yrs ago (82 yrs old). I keep it as a memento but also as I'm the only TT player in the family. I never played him. He was an once-in-a-while recreational player as he got older, but in his 20's-50's, he would play often.

I took his rubber off, surprisingly it wasn't the factory rubber. Put on 2 old inverted to try out the weight and get used to it for RPB. Too heavy for my wrist/hand.

20170522_175034_1495725780651.jpg20170522_175038_1495725780852.jpg20170522_175047_1495725781196.jpg20170522_175103-1_1495725781650.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the amount of blades I have, I don't think I'm an EJ, although it may seem so. I will say I really miss "Excalibur" as I played with it the longest. The sanding down of the wings and grooving the bottom of the handle facilitated my punch/block game as well as serves which resulted in a somewhat consistent game for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Long over due but here's how twiddling with penhold works for me.

Hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks.

Wow. Your twiddling is so satisfying. Too bad I'm into Jpen now. Maybe I should consider a revolver. hmm..

Anyway, great piece you have here suds. I tried using your curl finger grip on the RPB side and it feels so comfortable, but I wonder if it will have some power to it at power strokes. I'll try it later.

Thanks!

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
After a week of playing inverted rubbers I found out that I can't create my own power. I tend to loose against control oriented players, especially fishers/lobbers. Since they don't attack much there's nothing for me to counter or block. Also, I suck away from the table. Balls always fall close to the net and easy to attack by my opponent.

On the good side. I realized I have sick serves. I got most of my points from my serves or 3rd ball attacks.

This got me thinking, maybe hybrid rubbers will suite me. Tacky sheet which will be great for my services and tensored sponge that will provide the power I lack. Hmmm.. On that said, which do you guys think is the best out there? I am thinking of:

Xiom Vega China VM
Xiom Tau
Tibhar Hybrid K1 Plus
Palio Thors
Palio Blitz
Palio Aeolous
DHS Tin Arc 5

I'm looking for Power/speed>spin. More euro/jap feel but chinese reactions.

Or should I just go back to pips?

Anyway. Thanks, guys!

I am similar to you. My 3rd ball attack (both FH and RPB) got me lots of points. But I also rely a lot on FH loop during a rally. So I am very picky with my FH rubber. I always use boosted Hurricane 3 provincial or national.

I have read Chinese user review on Tibhar Hybrid K1 plus. It behaves like a boosted hurricane 3 but the tackiness doesn't last. Vega China is your second best choice after Hurricane 3 provincial.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I am similar to you. My 3rd ball attack (both FH and RPB) got me lots of points. But I also rely a lot on FH loop during a rally. So I am very picky with my FH rubber. I always use boosted Hurricane 3 provincial or national.

I have read Chinese user review on Tibhar Hybrid K1 plus. It behaves like a boosted hurricane 3 but the tackiness doesn't last. Vega China is your second best choice after Hurricane 3 provincial.

I already purchased Hurricane 2 Neo as someone from other forums suggests that it behaves sort like a short pip. Though it's still far from a short pip, I still find it easy to adjust maybe because of its low-throw that's almost like a pips-out rubber. It really suits my style counter-blocking and setting up 3rd balls (although my new blade makes it hard for me to set up 3rd balls, Jpen really restricts wrist movements). Also, unlike the H3 it has a bit softer top sheet which provides longer dwell time and makes it easy to loop backspin balls. I'm going to boost it with 3 layers of Falco Booster (actually, someone from the club volunteers to boost my rubber for $1 because I'm allergic to the smell of boosters and speed glues) tonight as I still find the speed an issue, although its spin and low-throw compensates for it.

I do base my rpb grip and even serving at the forehand side strategy to set up the rpb from Wang Hao...
Its just that I like Zhang Jike's form like footwork and forehand strokes
would not that be aspiring to play like Wang Hao :)

For backhand oriented style like ZJK in SH, I suggest you look at the game of Wang Hao and Wong Chun Ting. Two of the best RPB oriented penholders.

yes, I indeed base my rpb from wang hao... don't want to over estimate myself but his rpb is fun to play...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I am a cpen player... using stiga clipper cr non wrb with fh: neo skyline 2 , bh: mark v
I was wondering if its possible to play penhold while aspiring to play like Zhang Jike :(

Welcome another penholder. Wang Hao is ZJK in penhold indeed. Both rely a lot on their powerful BH flick and loop.

Wang Hao at his peak rallied his BH against Wang Liqin's FH. It is a pleasure to watch that match.

Welcome another penholder. Wang Hao is ZJK in penhold indeed. Both rely a lot on their powerful BH flick and loop.

Wang Hao at his peak rallied his BH against Wang Liqin's FH. It is a pleasure to watch that match.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OSPH: when you quote a spambot, remove the links. I deleted the spambot post. But I also had to delete you post since you quoted the full text of the spambot so the links were still there.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy