Looking for help choosing new blade in off- region

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Belugma I'm happy for you,
it took us only 120 posts, about 4 thousand people reading the thread, some arguing and quite a time to figure out a common ground for everybody.

Hey next time you'll want to change your setup, I hope I'll be on the vacation ... ; ))))

@I hope you see my humor :) I myself had a good time trying to answer your questions, because I ask those myself sometimes.
I'm just a little tired myself by this jungle of equipment choices today's tt is offering us ...

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Alright, I will look if my shop can order one from butterfly, if not, I need to order it myself.
Well.. what can I say? :D I haven't had much time the last week. Tomorrow I will visit the store :cool:

You've got some great advice from great people (except me, I'm terrible ;) ), and I really think you'll enjoy the Primorac whether you get the JP or EU, same with the Vega rubbers whether you get Intro or Pro or both. I think it's about time you buy yourself this nice setup and start enjoying the beautiful game of TT with it while improving!

Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Hey next time you'll want to change your setup, I hope I'll be on the vacation ... ; ))))
I don't think that will be soon, but good luck getting the right time with the vacation when a new thread is coming :p

I myself had a good time trying to answer your questions, because I ask those myself sometimes.
I'm just a little tired myself by this jungle of equipment choices today's tt is offering us ...
I hope if someones else has a similiar question, he will come across this thread and can save himself from making a new thread. Because of all the off- blades I listed, the Primorac is apparently the 'best' e.g., so if someone looks for one blade vs another, his choice will be Primorac :cool:
Also JP vs Euro version got discussed once more, which isn't to bad in my opinion.

Why is there not a sticky thread with different blade suggestions for total beginners, developing players intermediate, etc.? I think that would save a lot of people time and some people wouldn't even need to post a 'I need help' or 'I need a recommendation' thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...]
Why is there not a sticky thread with different blade suggestions for total beginners, developing players intermediate, etc.? I think that would save a lot of people time and some people wouldn't even need to post a 'I need help' or 'I need a recommendation' thread.

I hope I didn't sound like I wanted to take credit for something actually Carl and others did. I just had a comment here and there. But actually this sticky thread idea is very good. Carl would be the person to ask - I guess?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
1) Remind me why you think you should have different rubbers on FH and BH: I have old man’s disease.

2) I am really not sure a sticky would work. We have a new to the forum, say hello thread. And it doesn’t stop people from posting random threads titled: “Hello from Italy” or something.

While this thread has been going on, I have counted at least 10 other threads with almost the same subject matter. It is also interesting how they seem to unfold differently.

The information I gave in this thread is based on things I read between the lines.

I wouldn’t recommend Primorac for all beginners. It would be simple if we were all cut out of the same cookie cutter mold. But that is not really how we, as humans, are.

And, with most people, a thread like this could go 4 or 5 comments and then the player has a new setup.

So that so many questions were asked, and so much info was covered and covered again, it brought out something about belugma, the OP. So, in a sense, that is what the forum is about. And it is good that you were able to have that.

From the thread, I can tell you probably read many threads like this. What made you post a thread instead of just taking the recommendations that were made for others?

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl-has-a-2200-tennis-friend said:
Agree on everything said. So I am going to give a story. Sometimes stories help.

I have a friend. He was a pro tennis player. He is a decent amateur level at TT (USATT 2200). He uses a Stiga Allround Classic (fairly slow) with Yasaka Mark V (also not so fast).

He hits harder, faster and with more spin than most 2500 level semi-pro players. The reason he is only 2200 is he does not read or handle incoming spin, especially sidespin, all that well. But his attacking strokes are enough better than most 2500 players to overpower them even though he is using a very slow setup and they are using Butterfly ALC blades with Tenergy.

If your technique is good, the Butterfly Primorac with Vega Intro is MORE than fast enough. If you feel it is too slow, it is your technique that needs to improve.

Often, with those faster setups, they feel great when someone is hitting to you and you are allowed to rip the ball back. But in real match play, your opponent does not do that. If your opponent is half decent, he will limit your opportunities to play aggressive shots. And force you to give him opportunities to make aggressive shots.

So, just hitting topspin shots can make you like something that will cause you to loose more and deter your development.

Whereas, a slower setup forces you to do more of the work. Which is where mid-level players could start learning to add their body to their strokes for power. Because the slower setup forces you to improve your mechanics to get the speed, spin and power. Whereas, a faster setup does more of the work for you. So you are forced to cut down your stroke and compromise your stroke quality just to land the ball on the table.

So the faster blades end up giving you worse stroke mechanics and less potential for improvement. And the slower setups, by making you need to have better mechanics to get the power, actually encourage you to improve your technique much more.

If those 2500 level players had loop mechanics as good as my 2200 level tennis pro friend, they would be 2700 instead of 2500. And my tennis friend still can hit faster and get more spin with a Stiga Allround Classic and Mark V than they can with a Viscaria and T05. Let it sink in for a moment.

Perhaps you should get a Donic Appelgren Allplay with Mark V or Vega Intro!

Think about it. That actually would help you get better even more than the Primorac. And it has the same wood plies as the Primorac. [emoji2]. But yes, it is slower than the Primorac.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I believe I have seen said friend of Carl and he is what Carl describes - very steady, brave and good eye. Carl uses the comparison of this friend 2-3 times a year in his posts. Carl, like me, likes to use stories to paint a picture. Carl is my long lost brother, or I am hiz, like Racer X.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I believe I have seen said friend of Carl and he is what Carl describes - very steady, brave and good eye. Carl uses the comparison of this friend 2-3 times a year in his posts. Carl, like me, likes to use stories to paint a picture. Carl is my long lost brother, or I am hiz, like Racer X.

I think you are thinking of Lefty Tennis Pro....Jeff. He has power too. He uses a.....Stiga Allround Evolution....and a Rosewood XO. And he has power. But he is no 2200 level player. Antonio is. Antonio actually beat Dora K one time because he overpowered her. And, even though Jeff can hit hard, Antonio hits a lot harder. Well, I think he is 15-20 years younger too. And Jeff has some injuries. Antonio does not.

Antonio is a good friend of Smash_Fan. You would like him too. He is really funny and says whatever comes to his head. All with a very heavy Italian accent. He doesn't speak English all that well, which makes it even more funny when he just says what's on his mind.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I believe you always made remark that he has a very safe and consistent heavy slow topspin deep when under pressure. So what if dude is not the 2200 level player, I meant what I said.... and I know you have benefited from practicing with him and others.

Hmm, Italian, problem with Italia is too many Italians live there, so sez my Italian friends. Italians and Koreans in my opinion share very similar DNA tendencies in thinking and emotion. I could get along i think, even if I have a few boring German tendencies about me..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
This whole thread reminded me a lot of one of dominus' threads - rather basic equipment question, couple hundred posts, a few dozen opinions and recommendations, a slightly annoyed moderator (even if he wouldn't admit that ;)) and the one who has the final word is Der_Echte...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
You've got some great advice from great people (except me, I'm terrible ;) ),

...yes, yes, you are. In fact you are the most terrible person in the history of mankind...;););)

...even if I have a few boring German tendencies about me..

I'm going to pretend like I didn't read that...:)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There was a guy a few years ago. I can't remember the name. He had a few threads like this. All on the subject of what he should buy. belugma is more like that guy. I actually PMed NextLevel to ask the guys username and he laughed and just said, "I know what you mean but can't remember the name."

Yeah, when someone asks the same pointless questions over and over, I can get POed.

A few weeks ago in a class I was teaching (yoga, not TT) I told this woman not to do one thing and to do something else. I could see from across the room that she was hurting herself. She asked why. Steam came out of my ears. We were in the middle of a sequence of movements. I had already showed the whole class what to do. This was supposed to be an advanced class and this was someone who was a beginner. It happens more than it should. I said, "I already explained it. But I tell you what, you do what I am saying. And when we are done with this I will explain why." After, I made her do what she was doing for long enough to feel how she was hurting herself. Then I said: "Now do you know why?"

:)

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: the Japan and Europe Primorac thing: I am not convinced. If someone tells me they have tried 10-20 of each and the results are always similar, then I will listen more. But If I gave you 20 Japan Primoracs and told you 10 were Europe and 10 were Japan, I bet you would come up with the same stats that have been presented. There is something called the placebo effect and something called a self fulfilling prophecy.

Unless someone has tested a lot of each, I am going to be skeptical of the results. And if you tested 10 Primoracs from Japan, you would find they were all a little different because WOOD was once a living tree. No two pieces of wood are the same. Which is why there is such a disparity in weights from blades made with the same blade composition. If you got 20 Japan Primoracs, they would also all be slightly different weights. The range of weights would likely swing between 80 grams and 96 grams. That is a big swing.

Reactions: NextLevel
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
BTW: the Japan and Europe Primorac thing: I am not convinced. If someone tells me they have tried 10-20 of each and the results are always similar, then I will listen more. But If I gave you 20 Japan Primoracs and told you 10 were Europe and 10 were Japan, I bet you would come up with the same stats that have been presented. There is something called the placebo effect and something called a self fulfilling prophecy.

Unless someone has tested a lot of each, I am going to be skeptical of the results. And if you tested 10 Primoracs from Japan, you would find they were all a little different because WOOD was once a living tree. No two pieces of wood are the same. Which is why there is such a disparity in weights from blades made with the same blade composition. If you got 20 Japan Primoracs, they would also all be slightly different weights. The range of weights would likely swing between 80 grams and 96 grams. That is a big swing.

Honestly Carl, the JP & Euro don't look and feel the same, there's something a little cheap about the Euro (color and finish) and it feels a lot harder and less bendy even at a similar weight. This is on account of the different glues and quality of materials used at the Eastern Europe factory, I've read they source and used lower quality wood (not grown in the same condition, treatment...). The stats given on the Butterfly European websites for the Euro version vary significantly from the Japanese-made one. Many European forum members across several platforms have given the same feedback...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
This whole thread reminded me a lot of one of dominus' threads - rather basic equipment question, couple hunderd posts, a few dozen opinions and recommendations, a slightly annoyed moderator (even if he wouldn't admit that ;)) and the one who has the final word is Der_Echte...
Hahahaha

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk