Ma Lin boosting rubber 2011?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Yeah, they probably already applied the booster to their sponges before the camera started recording, but that is not shown in the video.. so no evidence.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
LOL, there is no boosters that are ITTF approved.

All boosting must be done at the factory which the rubber is produced at, this is what the ITTF allows.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Ma Lin in the photos has not definitely boosted.
He stuck chinese and like almost every other page with the Haifu Glue :
20081229_010529_Glue-voc.png

and the other side with Nittaku Finezip :
ntk_finezip50_M.jpg

But look at Wang Liqin's tenergy at Dan's video about the "Boosting from Ma Lin and Wang Liqin" the Tenergy looks like butter.
So soft. And not like a normal tenergy. Thats the "Factory Tuning".

so far, KevinTT

This user has no status.
S

This user has no status.
maybe boosting is so accepted in china that they don't even have to hide it.
I don't think ma lin or any other player cares what people outside china think (they practically own table tennis :D)
most chinese use chinese rubber in fh, pro or non pro. so after a certain level (which for their standards is pretty low) they need to start tuning or they can't use chinese on fh anymore.
so I think they got past that "I don't tune" posture a long time ago.

however, that bottle is clearly glue and not tuner...

Last edited:
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Ok guys - remind me of the actual 'advantages' of 'boosting' again? Because if the only advantage is increased speed, surely, you can get faster equipment legally. Now if 'boosting' actually increases SPIN and CONTROL, then I can see what all the fuss is about. If not, its a waste of time talking about it.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Boosting is just a way to make the rubber livelier. It's the sort of thing that wakes up the rubber, it increases the full potential of the rubber, and then some. The "and then some" that makes it illegal. It's like it is artificially boosted, not naturally factory produced. Even if it was tuned by that factory, it is considered factory produced, therefore legal.

Let's put it this way, world sanctioned race between a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo(factory tuned) and a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (tuned at home garage, with NOS and other stuff, ie home made turbo, intercooler, exhaust pipes and blow off valves for instance).
This is what ITTF is trying to control, making it an even playing field for everyone to compete.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Even playing field? But wouldn't it be as even if everyone was allowed to boost?

Mar 2011
If everyone is allowed to boost their rubber, some may even resort to something which is illegal or even hazardous, with disastrous effect to ones health even. Like tuning your car illegally in your garage as I mentioned above, it could be dangerous. All for the sake of winning. There's no way to control it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
First I want to deal with the term ILLEGAL. I am not sure why so many TT players use this term. None of this stuff is illegal. The police will not come to your home and arrest you. What you guys mean when you say "illegal" is "against ITTF rules", "Banned from Tournament Play".

The official reason that the ITTF banned speed glue is the VOCs are not good for you. But if it was just that then some of the boosting would be acceptable even though most of the chemicals used for boosting are not so good for you either.

What boosting and speed glue do to the sponge is cause it to expand. When the sponge expands it puts the topsheet of the rubber on tension. The sponge has more bounce and therefore more speed, but the topsheet being on tension, allows the ball to sink into the rubber more fully and the tension also causes the topsheet to grip the ball more fully. So one of the things you get with speed glue or boosting is MORE DWELL TIME, which means more SPEED, more SPIN and more CONTROL.

Why is boosting against the rules. The original official reason had to do with people inhaling chemicals that do damage to your health. In the 1970's there were people who wanted to get high who would sniff glue. It would kill their brain cells and they would end, well the term was, burnt out. Their brain was not functioning as well, they became a lot less intelligent. People would say that the glue kills brain cells.

But then, why would boosting be banned if you can have a substance that is safe and non toxic that will do some of the same effects? Again, some boost materials are toxic, but there are chemicals that are 100% perfectly safe that can be used to tune rubbers.

One reason I have heard is that, if the ITTF approves a rubber and then you tune it, the ITTF did not approve the rubber, because you have changed the playing characteristics of the rubber after it was approved. They approved the rubber before it was tuned, not after. This is also why PRE-TUNED rubber is okay. If the rubber is boosted and then it is approved. The rubber was approved with the playing characteristics it had when it left the factory.

There are other theories about why the ITTF banned boosting that the ITTF would deny. Some are things like: by doing all that, they are making a forum for the Table Tennis companies to make more money. Other theories have to do with the idea that ITTF was trying to slow the game down more so that it was more viewer friendly as a spectator sport. I will not comment on either of these except to say, "I personally do not know".

But I am pretty confident that all the top players are using equipment that is different from what we buy from TT distributors. All the bats are teched in some way before they play with them. Most of them are special, they are not just off the shelf. All the rubbers are for them. I believe that most of the time the companies tune them for the players before the players get their hands on them. But I think, even with this, most of the players are using some kind of boosting.

It always entertains me when I see a player trying to press his rubbers onto his bat durning a match. I see this from the Chinese players more than from anyone else. That is a sure sign that they just reglued before the match and the boost they put on their rubber caused it to dome up, or that they used so much glue that the rubber is basically floating on the glue. :)

The real question is, why is there so much of a big deal about the equipment? In other sports you pick up a ball, or a bat or a racket and you play. There are better and worse tennis rackets but it is not the same thing. And the reason for there being so much of a big deal about equipment in table tennis is how much you use minute, precision skills that have to do with spinning the ball. And everybody wants an edge on his/her opponents. I guess in baseball you have corked bats and spitballs though. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
First I want to deal with the term ILLEGAL. I am not sure why so many TT players use this term. None of this stuff is illegal. The police will not come to your home and arrest you. What you guys mean when you say "illegal" is "against ITTF rules", "Banned from Tournament Play".

By the way, one of the things this means is: there is nothing wrong with using speed glue, as long as you are not going to play in a tournament. The problem with using speed glue now that it is banned would be finding it. But I personally do not want to mess with regluing my rubbers every time I play. I like just putting them on and playing.

Also, I don't need to expose myself to those toxic fumes. They really are not good for you. :) But speed glue is not against the laws of any country I know of.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Like ur saying u have used the haifu speed glue when u take the rubber off does the glue stay on the sponge or can u re-glue it without any problems?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
As I recall many players have boosted with the non VOC booster and because of this their rubber is deemed legal because there's no way to test for it. As long as it passes the tests the rubber is deemed legal for play correct? So their rules don't quite nullify boosting it just makes it a be harder to do. Timo had boosted a bunch of times after the ban and I believe he was even dq'd from a tournament because of it.