Match play tactic problems

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Yesterday I played someone who was ranked higher than me but I felt I still should have beaten him. For the first few games I won fairly comfortably but later he changed his tactics to just serving long topspin to the corner of my backhand side. My backhand is more of a off the bounce wristy counter loop where I rely more on the opponents pace and my placement of the ball. Anyway my return of the serve wasn't fast or spinny enough, enabling him to punch a fast winner down the line. The game changed and he won a close 5th setter. He was also mixing up his serves well so I couldn't predict when he was doing the topspin serve so I couldn't move round to play a forehand. Im wondering if there were any other way I could have played him?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
you should have realized the change in tactic and adjusted. If you know he serves directly to your backhand long, step around and loop that!
But as I said he was still mixing up his serves wide to my forehand as well. He could also counter balls quickly to the other side when I moved round and played a forehand since his serves were very accurate on wide to my bh

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A lot of things to do yourself to cope.

You could try to hit at his elbow with no spin.

You could try to hit down the line and make him move and block his loop down his BH line.

You could try to cut the ball deep varying the spin between very heavy and float light, always landing it deep. That can be a frustrating ball over time. You get more time to see his attack and a lower attacking success percentage unless he is elite.

You could vary the pressure on your wrist receiving the ball and give him different balls than it looks. Unless he is elite, he may not see it coming and make more errors and change his game.

you could learn to make a more aggressive shot with confidence on his long serve.

Lots of things to do possibly, just imagine you are able to cope and win and try doing it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I found that most of players use long serves quite often and with success. Especially when you do not expect long serve and they put some sidespin mixed with backspin, the ball is quite fast and in the end turns to one or the other side. If you do not see the spin while your opponent touch the ball it is very hard to guess spin and prepare for the shot. I also make a lot of mistakes receiving these serves.