Mindfulness & table tennis

This user has no status.
Hi Andy,

During last year I have spent more and more time on mental training, resulting in a far better attitude, more fun, and better quality play.

Sources I use:

10-minute-tougness-guide
A thought process to be excersized inbetween games/training (at home), including keywords, selftalk and visualization.
Just google it, and you'll find the full guide (pdf) and some nice short example (pdf teamUnify).

Get your Game Face on Like the Pros
A booklet from Dora Kurima with a 4-step routine to be executed inbetween points

One more thing I have to explore is making use of music on a certain BPM level just before the match.
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/pr...ct-playlist-for-table-tennis-performance-part
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/pr...ct-playlist-for-table-tennis-performance-pa-1

All of the above really need training and thus takes time before paying off.

PS: I have to play competition this evening and I was just about to exercize my 10 minute tougness routine.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, I will give a story. I came at this whole subject from the opposite side.

I have been practicing Yoga since 1991. I have been teaching Yoga since 1998. In college I was a Classical Studies/Comparitive Religion double major. I have been studying ancient texts from India since around 1984. A lot of them are about subjects pretty related to mindfulness. A large part of what, even the over simplified, physical practice of yoga is about is mindfulness. You do these odd things with your body and your breath and you try to be aware of how they affect you.

As a kid I played ping pong, really once in a while but, sort of, as often as possible. I played with recreational players. All of them were kids who played tennis. None of us used backspin at all. There was a period of 3 months after college and in between jobs where I played at a TT club and mostly used the robot because I was not really good enough to play with anyone from the club.

In 2009 I saw people playing TT at these outdoor tables that were near a place were I taught Yoga. I started playing. I probably would not have kept playing if it was not for this next detail. I noticed when playing, there were guys who I would play that I totally thought I was better than who I would lose to and it really got under my skin. It got me upset. It got me angry.

To me this was interesting. I know, I am a strange character. But at the time there were very few things in my life that got me angry. My parents at the time could do it once in a while but rarely. The only person who could really make me see red and become stark raving mad was my wife.

So, strange character that I am, I thought, this is a good place to try and observe that anger and how and why it comes up and what it is really about. You know.....that is actually part of what you are calling mindfulness. Seeing that process of where the anger starts coming up and what it is actually about: that would be a mindfulness practice used for a specific purpose.

For me, in table tennis, it was about a feeling of not being in control. And playing these annoying jokers who could not hit a proper drive, were clumsy and could not take a decent swing at the ball, but seeing them beat me by pushing, because they kept me from playing the game I wanted, made me feel like I didn't have control. I hated that. :) LOL.

At a certain point I realized these guys, at that time, were better at something than I was and if I let go of trying to be in control I would be able to observe the situation better and the frustration and anger would not come up. I would observe the same stimulation and have a different response to NOT BEING IN CONTROL.

Well, of course, over time learning
1) how to play a push and chop game was essential to starting to play even with, or better than, these defensive types.
2) learning how to loop and particularly how to loop backspin allowed me to only play a push game if I actually wanted to.

But that initial realization that what actually got me frustrated and angry was not being in control rather than something else, really was interesting.

These days, even when my wife is freaking out and out of her gourd, I can't remember the last time I actually got angry when she was freaking out and trying to push my buttons.

What does all this have to do with mindfulness and table tennis. At 3-3, I will be creative and try stuff and I won't get fussed if it does or does not work and will be focused for the next point. At 9-9 I will not only be calmer than my opponent, even if he is 200-300 points higher than I am, I will be able to draw on the creative stuff I tried at 3-3 and 4-4 to use tactics that will work better on the opponent at 9-9 than I would have had access to if I had been less relaxed and less focused on the process: in other words, if I had been more focused on winning points than playing the points I would have less in my bag of tricks to draw from. And what works for easy points at 3-3 often doesn't at 9-9 because, at that point in the game, the other player is prepared for that.

It also means that if I am faced with a difficult shot and I have a choice between an easy, shot that will give the opponent the advantage or a difficult shot that could win the point, I WILL NOT BE THINKING TO PLAY SAFE. I will go for the shot and because I have done that as much as I have, I will have a decently high chance at making that shot. Even if my opponent is a better player than I am.

So the real question in adding mindfulness to practice is: can you still be motivated to play if you are playing for the process rather than the results you are hoping for.

Being able to shut the mind off in a certain way, but keep focused and observe your play in the situation and go for your shots without though of the score once you are in the rally, so you are open to make those split second decisions, can really have its benefits in playing a match, right now, today. But it also can help you develop a mindset for developing technique and growing as a player.

So the question is, how do you become unattached to the results and progress while playing and yet still keep the focus and the drive that helps you progress.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Okay, I will give a story. I came at this whole subject from the opposite side.

I have been practicing Yoga since 1991. I have been teaching Yoga since 1998. In college I was a Classical Studies/Comparitive Religion double major. I have been studying ancient texts from India since around 1984. A lot of them are about subjects pretty related to mindfulness. A large part of what, even the over simplified, physical practice of yoga is about is mindfulness. You do these odd things with your body and your breath and you try to be aware of how they affect you.

As a kid I played ping pong, really once in a while but, sort of, as often as possible. I played with recreational players. All of them were kids who played tennis. None of us used backspin at all. There was a period of 3 months after college and in between jobs where I played at a TT club and mostly used the robot because I was not really good enough to play with anyone from the club.

In 2009 I saw people playing TT at these outdoor tables that were near a place were I taught Yoga. I started playing. I probably would not have kept playing if it was not for this next detail. I noticed when playing, there were guys who I would play that I totally thought I was better than who I would lose to and it really got under my skin. It got me upset. It got me angry.

To me this was interesting. I know, I am a strange character. But at the time there were very few things in my life that got me angry. My parents at the time could do it once in a while but rarely. The only person who could really make me see red and become stark raving mad was my wife.

So, strange character that I am, I thought, this is a good place to try and observe that anger and how and why it comes up and what it is really about. You know.....that is actually part of what you are calling mindfulness. Seeing that process of where the anger starts coming up and what it is actually about: that would be a mindfulness practice used for a specific purpose.

For me, in table tennis, it was about a feeling of not being in control. And playing these annoying jokers who could not hit a proper drive, were clumsy and could not take a decent swing at the ball, but seeing them beat me by pushing, because they kept me from playing the game I wanted, made me feel like I didn't have control. I hated that. :) LOL.

At a certain point I realized these guys, at that time, were better at something than I was and if I let go of trying to be in control I would be able to observe the situation better and the frustration and anger would not come up. I would observe the same stimulation and have a different response to NOT BEING IN CONTROL.

Well, of course, over time learning
1) how to play a push and chop game was essential to starting to play even with, or better than, these defensive types.
2) learning how to loop and particularly how to loop backspin allowed me to only play a push game if I actually wanted to.

But that initial realization that what actually got me frustrated and angry was not being in control rather than something else, really was interesting.

These days, even when my wife is freaking out and out of her gourd, I can't remember the last time I actually got angry when she was freaking out and trying to push my buttons.

What does all this have to do with mindfulness and table tennis. At 3-3, I will be creative and try stuff and I won't get fussed if it does or does not work and will be focused for the next point. At 9-9 I will not only be calmer than my opponent, even if he is 200-300 points higher than I am, I will be able to draw on the creative stuff I tried at 3-3 and 4-4 to use tactics that will work better on the opponent at 9-9 than I would have had access to if I had been less relaxed and less focused on the process: in other words, if I had been more focused on winning points than playing the points I would have less in my bag of tricks to draw from. And what works for easy points at 3-3 often doesn't at 9-9 because, at that point in the game, the other player is prepared for that.

It also means that if I am faced with a difficult shot and I have a choice between an easy, shot that will give the opponent the advantage or a difficult shot that could win the point, I WILL NOT BE THINKING TO PLAY SAFE. I will go for the shot and because I have done that as much as I have, I will have a decently high chance at making that shot. Even if my opponent is a better player than I am.

So the real question in adding mindfulness to practice is: can you still be motivated to play if you are playing for the process rather than the results you are hoping for.

Being able to shut the mind off in a certain way, but keep focused and observe your play in the situation and go for your shots without though of the score once you are in the rally, so you are open to make those split second decisions, can really have its benefits in playing a match, right now, today. But it also can help you develop a mindset for developing technique and growing as a player.

So the question is, how do you become unattached to the results and progress while playing and yet still keep the focus and the drive that helps you progress.

People should give the thumbs up heavily to one of the best posts ever above. I emboldened and enlarged my favorite parts.

As someone who works closely with Andy, I initially found it puzzling that he was asking questions so early in his table tennis experience about the mental part of the game. Most people simply assume that they will get technically better and that most of these issues will resolve themselves.

But I also realize that Andy is an experienced athlete and a quick learner so he is not the usual novice. And he is looking at many things at the same time because he has aggressive improvement goals and targets.

The main thing I will say about Carl's post is the following: what I have found is that what many lower rated players think is choking or having mental problems is 95%-100% caused by inferior technique and not understanding the limitations of their technique. And inferior technique leads to a loss of control. And the loss of control leads to frustration. But because the lower rated player does not understand his inferior technique and loss of control, the frustration is uncontrollable.

But when someone understand and executes proper technique, they tend to know what stroke they should have played and then shadow the correction (as Brett repeatedly pointed out in the ETTS series as a way of getting better) and they see it. Their frustration tends to show up more when they see a shot they know they make 99.99% of the time in practice but they fail to make it in a match. And it is seeing and knowing the mental reasons for that kind of miss that then make analyzing the mental game really important as what is causing the miss is not technical.

But if most people know how their technique etc. was influencing their stroke outcomes, a lot of their frustration would be reduced. Of course, they still might not like the outcome, but bad outcomes are going to happen, whether your technique is perfect or not.

Of course, this is one partly narrow view, but my point here is that while one should learn to control their mental game, and I try pretty hard, it's not going to replace technical development as a way of getting better. It's just going to enable you to use your technique as best you can. Bad technique, especially since it cannot be easily tied to shot selection, will still produce unreliable shots, no matter how good your mental game is. It happens all the time in my game. One last example.

There is a player in my club who comes once in a while - he is about 1300-1500. He is extremely athletic. His stroke is largely a sideswipe. A mutual friend called him a choker. And my coach and myself said, no, he is not a choker - his technique just breaks down and he has no way to reign it in. Sideswiping is not topspin. You may be able to get to a good level sideswiping if you are pretty smart and you practice a lot against higher level players so you know how to sideswipe all kinds of balls. Maybe you might even develop the best technique for sideswiping at a high 2000+ level. But the inherent unreliability of sideswiping for hitting the ball hard on a short table from many distances will never make it as reliable as topspin as a consistent shot and powerful shot. That's why loopers, choppers and topspinny hitters dominate this game. Deadball styles just can't keep up.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Table tennis is zen.

Read the advice given by zen monk Takuan Soho to a swordsman (Musashi) in The Unfettered Mind and you can apply all of it to table tennis. Actually this book increased my pleasure in just playing the game so much, just enjoying the moment, that sometimes now I don't even bother to keep score. Just let it happen and take special pleasure in strange stuff. Netballs and edge balls become funny then. There is also some really interesting insight into "where to put your mind" while you are playing so that your technique is maximized and most natural.

In other words, what Carl just said.

Here is the book. It is pretty short.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unfettered-Mind-Writings-Warrior/dp/087011851X

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Mindfulness & table tennis

Hearing similar stuff from different sources is always good. Different tones and coloration to the same basic insights, sometimes one way of hearing something makes it click.

With the Eastern philosophy stuff there have been many times when I heard something and thought I understood it and months later I heard the same basic thing, said a different way and it clicked a few levels deeper and I went, oh, now I understand that, only to have the same thing happen again another few months later.

There is this Buddhist meditation story that I love.

This guy comes rushing into the hit of his guru and starts saying:

"Teacher, teacher, I have had the most amazing experience in my meditation! I reached the 6th and 7th stages of ecstasy and that immediately brought me to the 9th level of transcendence! I have achieved......"and on and on.

The teacher just sat and listened until the student was all talked out. And then the teacher said;

"That sounds very good. Is it raining out?"

The student immediately fired back: "You don't understand, this happened and this happened and....." And the teacher again let the student talk himself out and then answered:

"That's very nice. Did you bring an umbrella?"

The student again went into more of the same hyperbolic tirade. The teacher waited for the student to talk himself out and said:

"That's very nice. Which side of your shoes is your umbrella on?"

The student was about to go into one more long winded, dramatic explanations and as he said:

"You don't understand!"

The teacher cut him off and said in a stern, commanding voice:

"NO, you don't understand! If you can't remember which side of your shoes you left your umbrella on, you need to go back and practice moment by moment awareness!"

Sent from MountDoom via TheRingOfPower