My top all wood blades.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Cool, I guess I'll just order one and sell the rest of my blades except for IF ZLC. Now, anyone interested in SPW, TBS, YEO, and Offensive S? :D

Wait. What don't you like about the Offensive S? That blade is pretty nice. A little thicker. A little less flex. But it still feels really good.

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Wait. What don't you like about the Offensive S? That blade is pretty nice. A little thicker. A little less flex. But it still feels really good.

Head-size, handle and for my specific unit, the weight.

I generally prefer 157x150 headsize or slightly below. Just like SPW, Offensive S' feels a bit weird for me. Second is the handle, the U-shaped curvature on the handle is too small. I rest my thumb on the curvature and generally used to BTY's FL shape, which is why I also like TB ALC / MJ ST handle because the thumb area is huge and comfortable.

Lastly is the weight. My Offensive S is 92g on itself. It's plenty heavy. Combined with the somewhat small handle and the larger headsize + additional rubber weight the blade, the overall setup becomes really head heavy. It feels somewhat weird on my BH, probably because it's less developed than my FH

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There really are a lot of great all wood blades.

Darker Speed 90 is one hell of a blade if you can deal with 10mm 1 ply Hinoki. If you can handle it, that is a dream blade.

But I felt three blades I can remember that stood out as amazing.

1) One was a Clipper from the early 1990s when they used to make them 6mm thick. The aged wood on that 25 year old blade felt sooooo good.

2) the second was a Nittaku/Avalox P-700 from about the same period. These first two were from the same owner. They both had amazing wood feel. So crisp.

3) the third was a Banda Waldner blade that was also really old. It had amazing feel.

Those three are part of what got me to look at OSP blades. The wood feel they go for seems to recreate that old feel that blades from a former era used to have.

I'd say my OSP V+ comes close to creating that old school feel from a blade. But somehow, not much can replicate wood that has aged for decades.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited: