Looking for an ‘all wood alternative’ for Viscaria

This user has no status.
Hi there,

I really seem to prefer blades that have the weight balance more thowards that handle. One blade that I have always been curious about, is the legendary Viscaria.

After this season ends I am planning to go to the biggest table tennis store in my country and test the Viscaria, and maybe a few other blades. But just in case carbon blades aren’t for me I wanted to know some all-wood blades that have a similar weight balance.

The first blade that comes to mind is the Stiga Infinity VPS V. It seems like Stiga did their best to create an all-wood version of the Viscaria with this blade. They used Fan Zhendong to promote it, even though he was using a Viscaria in disguise.

I do have some experience with Artylate carbon. And I have played with a Timo Boll Spirit before, and I liked how I could hit the first attack hard and fast. But I couldn’t really do any controlled spinny attacks. The blade felt hard, and it was difficult to create spin.

But that was 5 years ago, and my technique has improved alot, especially on the backhand side. And although the composition of the Viscaria is almost identical to the Timo Boll Spirit, I have heard and read that Viscaria has supposedly more dwell.

Any suggestions are welcome! The store I will go to is a partner of Dandoy and Butterfly, so they will pretty much have everything thats listed on these websites.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Really hard to find an equivalent for viscaria in an all wood blade. Perhaps ask Sergio of SDC custom blades to see if he can make something custom for you.

The only other blade that comes to mind would be OSP virtuoso but even that isnt nearly as fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Really hard to find an equivalent for viscaria in an all wood blade. Perhaps ask Sergio of SDC custom blades to see if he can make something custom for you.

The only other blade that comes to mind would be OSP virtuoso but even that isnt nearly as fast.
My Falcima was not much slower than my Viscaria (1380hz vs 1460hz) but had an all wood feel and Koto outer feel. My Virtuoso was a very different blade, much softer feel (Limba I think) and also slower - handle also felt very different.

Reactions: Amayzde
says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Well...Viscaria has a very crisp feeling and is fast. If you are looking for an all wood alternative it will certainly be a 7-ply wood to have a similar feel. I played a Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition and it was close in speed and has similar crisp feeling. It has less feedback than the Viscaria and is also a bit stiffer.

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
When you visit the store, remember to bring a device to help you measure the balance point of each blade. Generally a smaller thinner head, and larger flared handle would bring the balance down. You are looking for a balance point within 3cm from top of the handle. The lower the better. From memory, Butterfly Falcima, SK7 Classic, and Nittaku Septear would fit your criteria.

This user has no status.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

So far Im gravitating thowards the Butterfly Falcima. I havent looked at this blade before, but after doing some comparison they seem really similair in shape, pretty much identical really. I will post a picture in case anyone is curious;
1709885691377.png

According to their catalogue the difference in vibration isnt too great 10,3 against 9,7;
1709885873319.png

The catalogue does give a slight difference in the handle measurements: 100x25x24 for the Viscaria and 100x24x34, a 1mm difference in thickness. I have looked at both handles from a different angle, and its hard to spot but the handle of the Falcima seems to have a flat surface thowards the top, as the viscaria seems to keep its round shape in this area;
1709887811671.png

The only thing I havent been able to find is the conposition of the Falcima. The Viscaria is Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto. Judging from the pictures I have found it looks like the Falcima uses the exact same materials, but without the composite layer (So Koto-Limba-Kiri-Limba-Koto). I will post the pictures here;
1709886844553.png

Can anybody confirm this composition?

Sorry for turning this thread into a Viscaria vs Falcima comparison, but if it is indeed the composition I mentioned above then this pretty much answers my question as the Falcima seems to be a Viscaria without the ALC. It cant get much closer then that.

Attachments

• 1709887486602.png
    1709887486602.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Yes, the falcima has the exact same composition as Viscaria, without the ALC layer.

I have played and used both.
In reality the falcima is not slower than the Viscaria when you have same weights.
It might have a lower basic speed, but it is much more catapulty than the Viscaria, so for me it had even lesser control in the short game.
For me; the Viscaria reacts more linear than the falcima , more predictable.

Besides that the Falcima is a great blade, well made , good quality.
It makes fun to play. And if you look for a Viscaria without ALC, where the first topspin on backspin is easier, it would be the blade to go!

This user has no status.
Yes, the falcima has the exact same composition as Viscaria, without the ALC layer.

I have played and used both.
In reality the falcima is not slower than the Viscaria when you have same weights.
It might have a lower basic speed, but it is much more catapulty than the Viscaria, so for me it had even lesser control in the short game.
For me; the Viscaria reacts more linear than the falcima , more predictable.

Besides that the Falcima is a great blade, well made , good quality.
It makes fun to play. And if you look for a Viscaria without ALC, where the first topspin on backspin is easier, it would be the blade to go!
Thank you for your insight!

I wouldnt mind the Falcima being just as fast as the Viscaria. For me its all about the feeling.

The thicker handle design supposedly increases the feeling of the Viscaria compared to the Timo Boll Spirit. But just in case I still wont like it I will give the Falcima a go for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Thank you for your insight!

I wouldnt mind the Falcima being just as fast as the Viscaria. For me its all about the feeling.

The thicker handle design supposedly increases the feeling of the Viscaria compared to the Timo Boll Spirit. But just in case I still wont like it I will give the Falcima a go for sure.
Most reviews of the Falcima seem to indicate that there is very little vibration and feedback. Is low feedback the feeling you want?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I have both the Infinity VPS and a Viscaria. I would say they feel very different. Maybe my VPS was too light but I found it really lacked zip compared to the Viscaria. Also, it did feel like the balance of the VPS was towards the handle whereas on the Viscaria it was towards the head. I used the VPS for a few weeks but used the Viscaria for a few years until I changed to the FZD ALC.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I hate you guys; all these talk of Butterfly blade especially Viscaria & Falcima has aroused my dormant EJ syndrome again....
I think you know deep in your heart, nothing will feel or play quite like a single ply Hinoki 😉

• Love
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I think you know deep in your heart, nothing will feel or play quite like a single ply Hinoki 😉
If only Butterfly will relaunch Butterfly Kim Taek Soo in shakehand variant, I'll say, take my money Butterfly. Right now, I had to get a blade maker ( Taiwan OEM company) to make a clone custom one for me.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
I have both the Infinity VPS and a Viscaria. I would say they feel very different. Maybe my VPS was too light but I found it really lacked zip compared to the Viscaria. Also, it did feel like the balance of the VPS was towards the handle whereas on the Viscaria it was towards the head. I used the VPS for a few weeks but used the Viscaria for a few years until I changed to the FZD ALC.
Your Viscaria's balance was towards the head? Shouldn't be.. Also FZD alc is no different from viscaria, isn't it? (never tried viscaria, going off of reviews).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
Your Viscaria's balance was towards the head? Shouldn't be.. Also FZD alc is no different from viscaria, isn't it? (never tried viscaria, going off of reviews).
It could be because of the weight of my rubbers? Not sure. I used MXP at the time. You're right, FZD ALC is not that much different but to me it felt slightly softer. Of course, even within blade models there will be variances so take that with a grain of salt. I feel like I can hold the ball more with the FZD and play more powerful and safer shots due to the extra softness. I did also change to Tenergy 05 so could be that as well. So many variables!