Rate my budget build

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
I'm in no way a "serious" player. I played a lot in my college years and now have a table at my house that we hold tournaments with our friends, mostly on the weekend. My girl and I play almost nightly at this point. We are all getting better but I wasn't thrilled with my current set up

My girl bought me the Gambler Wingwood racket with Big Gun Oh Toro rubber. It's served me ok but I always felt like something was off with it compared to even my on Donic pre made I had from college. Also I noticed a split in the wood on the blade, so I hope I can replace rubbers without destroying the blade.

So I put together this set up:
Sanwei CC Carbon
Mercury 2 (medium) for BH
Reactor Tornado V5 for FH

I'm under the impression that the blade is offensive but super-fast and through reviews on this site I determined for the price, those rubbers would be solid options.

I bought 2 of each of the rubbers, I plan to put the same rubbers on the Wingwood as well if I can.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
If you're goal is the best performance at lowest cost, this would probably be a 9 or 10.

I would say Bloom Power or Jupiter 3 or Big Dipper at $15 are a huge improvement, but its 3 times the price as well.

Yeah I was looking at a few more expensive rubbers, I figured since I'm not experienced with putting on my own rubbers, i'd start cheap and work my way from there

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
I think you can try Tornade v5 both sides tbh. Mercury feels empty, ofc not a bad rubber but if ur casual a better 'feeling' rubber is good.

tornado isn't too hard? my biggest issue with the BH right now is if i try to put speed on it, i'm flying off the table...but i'm also not sure if the blade i have is faster or not, but if gamblers site is accurate, the sponge i'm using is also much harder

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
tornado isn't too hard? my biggest issue with the BH right now is if i try to put speed on it, i'm flying off the table...but i'm also not sure if the blade i have is faster or not, but if gamblers site is accurate, the sponge i'm using is also much harder
Well, I had the same setup a long time ago. Xvt archer b carbon with those 2 rubbers, I think both rubbers are fine. Tornade V5 is just a decent rubber for forehand and backhand. Perhaps if you like cardboard feeling and have heavy backhand loop Mercury 2 is better. It is all preference. I wont replace my current setup (€250) but yours wont be lacking much more then mine i.m.o

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I'm in no way a "serious" player. I played a lot in my college years and now have a table at my house that we hold tournaments with our friends, mostly on the weekend. My girl and I play almost nightly at this point. We are all getting better but I wasn't thrilled with my current set up

My girl bought me the Gambler Wingwood racket with Big Gun Oh Toro rubber. It's served me ok but I always felt like something was off with it compared to even my on Donic pre made I had from college. Also I noticed a split in the wood on the blade, so I hope I can replace rubbers without destroying the blade.

So I put together this set up:
Sanwei CC Carbon
Mercury 2 (medium) for BH
Reactor Tornado V5 for FH

I'm under the impression that the blade is offensive but super-fast and through reviews on this site I determined for the price, those rubbers would be solid options.

I bought 2 of each of the rubbers, I plan to put the same rubbers on the Wingwood as well if I can.
What do you like and not like about Gambler Wingwood blade?

I have tried the following Gambler blades:

Gambler Fire Dragon Fast
Gambler Fire Dragon Hinoki
Gambler Fire Dragon Touch
Gambler Blackout Max Speed Carbon
Gambler AC Hero
Gambler Balsa Knight
Gambler GLine X Fast Carbon
Gambler Vector Speed

Out of them, I like Blackout the most. Fast yet soft with control. It is a feeling that is very hard to describe. I like Vector Speed the second. Very similar feel to Blackout. Honestly my hands cannot feel much difference.

Fire Dragon Fast, Fire Dragon Hinoki and GLine X are all too fast for me. I gave one of my two Fire Dragon Fast blades to my friend as a gift because he is moving to another part of the country and he wants a spare blade. His main blade is Butterfly Viscaria. When he tried the Fire Dragon Fast, he liked it enough that he kept it as his spare blade. Honestly I was not surprised becaues that blade is pretty fast so I know he would like it.

AC Hero is too slow of a carbon blade for me. Also the way it fits in my hand, there is something weird about it. I need to sand part of it down but I am too lazy to do that right now.

In terms of, if you want a good looking blade that feels substantial in your hand, I would recommend Fire Dragon Hinoki. It is fast. It has this solid feeling when you hold it. Among these Gambler blades, Fire Dragon series has the nicest handle.

By the way, if you get another Gambler blade, ask for flare handle. The straight handle is too short. Lol.

Among the stuff you suggested it, I have a Sanwei CC Carbon that, yeah, is about $13-14 on Aliexpress if you include shipping and import tax. I like my Gambler blades so much that I have not put any rubber on that blade yet. I am just letting it sit there.

Mercury 2 (medium) I have like 8 sheets of them sitting around. Yes they are dirt cheap $7.80 including shipping and import tax sounds about right to me.

Mercury 2 is a very very tacky rubber. Very traditional Chinese rubber. It is like a poor man's version of Hurricane. I like it. But it is a bit slow for me right now. I plan to put it on my spare blades when I am done EJ'ing.

By the way, I do not like Gambler rubbers. The whole thing about Oh Toro sponge is all marketing. There is zero catapult effect on those rubbers. However at $15 a piece, it is pretty good value.

Incidentally, my volt-M, volt-T lost grip very quickly and they almost play like anti right now. The only one is Big Gun which is tacky and decent. If you have used Big Gun, it plays very similar to Mercury 2. Don't quote me on that though. I really do not use any Gambler rubbers so they are lying in my basement somewhere.

Another good buy from Aliexpress, if you are thinking about cheap rubber is Sanwei T88 Ultra Spin for about $8.50 including all fees. It is a very good non-tacky Chinese rubber that plays like, well, non tacky rubber. The quality is good for the price.

My suggestion for you is to use Mercury 2 on your forehand and Sanwei T88 Ultra Spin on your backhand.

I have used a lot of cheap, mid price and higher end equipment so when you are ready to upgrade eventually, I have more suggestions you can try.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Make a deal with all the Tibhar MX-P haters who say it is crap after 2 weeks... offer to pay shipping and score u sum inexpensive rubber that plays great and not so sensitive to incoming spin.

Hurry up before Sergey corners the international market for used MX-P, he has been offering free INTERNATIOANL shipping for the haters.

• Haha
Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
What do you like and not like about Gambler Wingwood blade?

I have tried the following Gambler blades:

Gambler Fire Dragon Fast
Gambler Fire Dragon Hinoki
Gambler Fire Dragon Touch
Gambler Blackout Max Speed Carbon
Gambler AC Hero
Gambler Balsa Knight
Gambler GLine X Fast Carbon
Gambler Vector Speed

Out of them, I like Blackout the most. Fast yet soft with control. It is a feeling that is very hard to describe. I like Vector Speed the second. Very similar feel to Blackout. Honestly my hands cannot feel much difference.

Fire Dragon Fast, Fire Dragon Hinoki and GLine X are all too fast for me. I gave one of my two Fire Dragon Fast blades to my friend as a gift because he is moving to another part of the country and he wants a spare blade. His main blade is Butterfly Viscaria. When he tried the Fire Dragon Fast, he liked it enough that he kept it as his spare blade. Honestly I was not surprised becaues that blade is pretty fast so I know he would like it.

AC Hero is too slow of a carbon blade for me. Also the way it fits in my hand, there is something weird about it. I need to sand part of it down but I am too lazy to do that right now.

In terms of, if you want a good looking blade that feels substantial in your hand, I would recommend Fire Dragon Hinoki. It is fast. It has this solid feeling when you hold it. Among these Gambler blades, Fire Dragon series has the nicest handle.

By the way, if you get another Gambler blade, ask for flare handle. The straight handle is too short. Lol.

Among the stuff you suggested it, I have a Sanwei CC Carbon that, yeah, is about $13-14 on Aliexpress if you include shipping and import tax. I like my Gambler blades so much that I have not put any rubber on that blade yet. I am just letting it sit there.

Mercury 2 (medium) I have like 8 sheets of them sitting around. Yes they are dirt cheap $7.80 including shipping and import tax sounds about right to me.

Mercury 2 is a very very tacky rubber. Very traditional Chinese rubber. It is like a poor man's version of Hurricane. I like it. But it is a bit slow for me right now. I plan to put it on my spare blades when I am done EJ'ing.

By the way, I do not like Gambler rubbers. The whole thing about Oh Toro sponge is all marketing. There is zero catapult effect on those rubbers. However at $15 a piece, it is pretty good value.

Incidentally, my volt-M, volt-T lost grip very quickly and they almost play like anti right now. The only one is Big Gun which is tacky and decent. If you have used Big Gun, it plays very similar to Mercury 2. Don't quote me on that though. I really do not use any Gambler rubbers so they are lying in my basement somewhere.

Another good buy from Aliexpress, if you are thinking about cheap rubber is Sanwei T88 Ultra Spin for about $8.50 including all fees. It is a very good non-tacky Chinese rubber that plays like, well, non tacky rubber. The quality is good for the price.

My suggestion for you is to use Mercury 2 on your forehand and Sanwei T88 Ultra Spin on your backhand.

I have used a lot of cheap, mid price and higher end equipment so when you are ready to upgrade eventually, I have more suggestions you can try.

I have the flared handle, and to me, it's really skinny compared to other blades i've tried (which isn't a whole lot) but I seem to enjoy having a beefier handle. Also it doesn't give the same type of feedback, even on shots that hit the sweet spot and finally the rubber (I think). I want to at least try more tacky rubber since the ball on the Big Gun Oh Toro seems like slide off of the rubber rather than grip and spin off of the rubber, if that makes sense.

Also, the top of the Gambler seems to have separated a bit, not sure if I hit the table or what, so I hope I can remove the rubbers without damaging the blade.

This is why I ordered 2 of each rubbers. Maybe I'll put the rubbers on the Gambler and really enjoy it and the rubbers were the issue the whole time. I don't hate the Gambler as it's much faster than my premade but I also haven't "loved" it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have the flared handle, and to me, it's really skinny compared to other blades i've tried (which isn't a whole lot) but I seem to enjoy having a beefier handle. Also it doesn't give the same type of feedback, even on shots that hit the sweet spot and finally the rubber (I think). I want to at least try more tacky rubber since the ball on the Big Gun Oh Toro seems like slide off of the rubber rather than grip and spin off of the rubber, if that makes sense.

Also, the top of the Gambler seems to have separated a bit, not sure if I hit the table or what, so I hope I can remove the rubbers without damaging the blade.

This is why I ordered 2 of each rubbers. Maybe I'll put the rubbers on the Gambler and really enjoy it and the rubbers were the issue the whole time. I don't hate the Gambler as it's much faster than my premade but I also haven't "loved" it.
Do you find Gambler Wingwood blade to be too fast for you? Too slow for you? Or just about the right speed?

I have a Gambler Wingwood blade lying around somewhere. I just have not gotten around to put the rubbers on it yet so I have no comment about it.

I honestly think it is the rubber that is not good. I have said it many many time. I love Gambler blades. I do not have anything good to say about Gambler rubbers.

However, I don't think Mercury 2 will be that much different Big Gun, but Mercury 2 is half price of Big Gun.

If you really want some decent rubber with good speed at an affordable price, I would recommend Neottec Katana. You can buy it from tabletennis11. It is about $20-$21 a sheet. If you can get enough people together to make it to $350, you get 30% off. It is a good rubber, like Mark V or Sriver. Non-tensor but you don't have to pay the price of Mark V or Sriver nowadays.

You can fix a skinny handle with grip tape. It adds about 5grams in weight, it’s also good to shift the center of gravity downwards.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Do you find Gambler Wingwood blade to be too fast for you? Too slow for you? Or just about the right speed?

I have a Gambler Wingwood blade lying around somewhere. I just have not gotten around to put the rubbers on it yet so I have no comment about it.

I honestly think it is the rubber that is not good. I have said it many many time. I love Gambler blades. I do not have anything good to say about Gambler rubbers.

However, I don't think Mercury 2 will be that much different Big Gun, but Mercury 2 is half price of Big Gun.

If you really want some decent rubber with good speed at an affordable price, I would recommend Neottec Katana. You can buy it from tabletennis11. It is about $20-$21 a sheet. If you can get enough people together to make it to $350, you get 30% off. It is a good rubber, like Mark V or Sriver. Non-tensor but you don't have to pay the price of Mark V or Sriver nowadays.

At first I thought it was too fast but in reality, I've learned to play with it. My issue is, even on a clean FH loop, the feeling just is odd. You know when you hit the sweet spot and get the shot you want, it's like you almost don't feel the shot, its just soo smooth but you do feel it and know it's good. With this blade, I don't get that.

Before I made my purchases, I saw someone on here say that they liked Gambler blades but the Wingwood is kind of the outlier, not that it's bad, it's just not the same as the other Gambler blades..that person didn't get into much detail and unfortunately, I've never played with any ohter

but thats also why i bought rubbers for it...maybe it's just different rubbers and when i put new ones on i'll love it...we shall see

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
At first I thought it was too fast but in reality, I've learned to play with it. My issue is, even on a clean FH loop, the feeling just is odd. You know when you hit the sweet spot and get the shot you want, it's like you almost don't feel the shot, its just soo smooth but you do feel it and know it's good. With this blade, I don't get that.

Before I made my purchases, I saw someone on here say that they liked Gambler blades but the Wingwood is kind of the outlier, not that it's bad, it's just not the same as the other Gambler blades..that person didn't get into much detail and unfortunately, I've never played with any ohter

but thats also why i bought rubbers for it...maybe it's just different rubbers and when i put new ones on i'll love it...we shall see
Got it. I wonder if you are getting the vibration? There are a couple carbon blades where when I hit, I can feel it vibrate (most carbon blades are stiff and should not vibrate). Two blades came into mind, Sanwei Pro 3 and Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon. And I don't like my blade vibrate. It feels weird to me. Maybe that is what you are referring to?

Gambler blades are not that popular. I mean I used to look down on the $40 carbon blades. So it is hard to find other people who have opinions on that brand. Now I really like their blades.

I think if your upcoming experiment of changing the rubbers work, then keep the combination.

If it does not work, I woudl recommend either Vector Speed or Blackout. Quite frankly they are NOT that fast. Fire Dragon series from Gambler are faster. But they are fast enough and give you a good feel of control. Those two blades, by you changing the type of rubber, the thickness of the sponge and whether the rubber is tensor or not can stay with you as you move up on your skill level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Got it. I wonder if you are getting the vibration? There are a couple carbon blades where when I hit, I can feel it vibrate (most carbon blades are stiff and should not vibrate). Two blades came into mind, Sanwei Pro 3 and Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon. And I don't like my blade vibrate. It feels weird to me. Maybe that is what you are referring to?

Gambler blades are not that popular. I mean I used to look down on the $40 carbon blades. So it is hard to find other people who have opinions on that brand. Now I really like their blades.

I think if your upcoming experiment of changing the rubbers work, then keep the combination.

If it does not work, I woudl recommend either Vector Speed or Blackout. Quite frankly they are NOT that fast. Fire Dragon series from Gambler are faster. But they are fast enough and give you a good feel of control. Those two blades, by you changing the type of rubber, the thickness of the sponge and whether the rubber is tensor or not can stay with you as you move up on your skill level.

so i'm guessing you'd rate the $40 carbons from Gambler right there with what i'd find on aliexpress for roughly that price?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
so i'm guessing you'd rate the $40 carbons from Gambler right there with what i'd find on aliexpress for roughly that price?
Yes I would say so.

On Aliexpress, you have to take into account of shipping cost and import tax. They do calculate it for you before check-out. The prices always end up being maybe 10-15% higher than the listed price. Like Mercury 2 is listed at $4.99 but you will never end up paying $4.99.

First of all, Sanwei CC carbon blade is about $11 plus tax and fee. That is definitely cheaper but I have not used it.

I have bought some Stuor and Lemuria blades that are ZJK clones and Viscaria clones. The quality of the blades are pretty good. They are listed between $30-40 so then you tag on the shipping costs and the import tax.

Do I like these clones? Yes they are solidly built and they seem to play well. Some of them are faster than Blackout and some are slower than Blackout. It is fun to see how they play.

But right now I keep going back to Blackout as my main blade and Vector Speed feels right about the same as Blackout in terms of speed and control, or rather Vector Speed might be slightly slower than Blackout but both are interchangeable in my hand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
So I just completed my first rubber replacement. the cut isn't the "cleanest", bought some "sharp" scissors but I think the method will be to use one of the roller blades they use for tailoring.

Anyway, I put rubbers on my Gambler Wingwood first, in case I messed up instead of the new blade. Haven't gotten to play just yet but just dribbling the ball and the ball is flying off the rubbers compared to the old rubbers. Hopefully this makes the blade more enjoyable to play with and it was just the rubbers after all.

Edit: Both rackets are fully equipped. I'm going to use the Wingwood first in hopes I can get into the new year with it. Hard to not scratch the itch to use the new equipment but I feel like ringing in a new year with a new racket will feel good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
So I just completed my first rubber replacement. the cut isn't the "cleanest", bought some "sharp" scissors but I think the method will be to use one of the roller blades they use for tailoring.

Anyway, I put rubbers on my Gambler Wingwood first, in case I messed up instead of the new blade. Haven't gotten to play just yet but just dribbling the ball and the ball is flying off the rubbers compared to the old rubbers. Hopefully this makes the blade more enjoyable to play with and it was just the rubbers after all.

Edit: Both rackets are fully equipped. I'm going to use the Wingwood first in hopes I can get into the new year with it. Hard to not scratch the itch to use the new equipment but I feel like ringing in a new year with a new racket will feel good.
Let us know how it goes! Yeah I like Gambler blade but I do not like Gambler rubber at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
Let us know how it goes! Yeah I like Gambler blade but I do not like Gambler rubber at all.

I don’t want to fall into placebo…the shots felt slower but more control…the one thing I noticed was much more spin, any side spin shot looked like a total hook and I handcuffed my opponent a few times or when the ball would hit the ground or net it was almost buzzing because of the spin that was still generated

I wanted to just “practice” but my girl wanted to play so I may have my conservative on some top spin and loop shots because I wasn’t sold on how the rubber would react…so as I get used to the feel, the speed may match what was there before