Ratings System New Players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi, I just played and won my first event, and I saw my rating central was given 600 at the start. If all the rest of the players are also 600 as also new and I won all the games (about 6) how many points would I likely get? Thanks
I think about 50. If they were higher rated than you, youd probably get 100

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
There is a computer algorithm that is too complicated to figure out in your head. Ratings Central assigns a rating and a variance. So a lot depends on all the player's ratings AND variances.
See page 196 and198. The formula on 196 determines the probability that a player will win given the ratings difference but RC doesn't consider a rating to be fixed number but rather the center of a bell curve of what the ratings could be so now a convolution is done to figure out weights and sum them.
It is doing a convolution with the two player's ratings and then using the formula on

The math get very complicated. The document covers the fact that players can't estimate their ratings easily.
If you look carefully there is a 4 integral convolution.

How did you get a rating of 600? Did someone just assign that number to you? If so, they aren't implementing RC correctly. New players should be assigned 1400 with a variance of 400 which means the 1400 doesn't mean much except wins and losses with the high variance will change the ratings more. If the person can estimate a rating then that can be used but the variance should still be 400.

The local club really screwed up the RC ratings for our league play. I think the person running the rating started people out with a rating of 0 or something very low. This averaged down all the ratings.
The person running the comp just gave anyone with no rating a base level of 600