Would you like to see ELO ratings applied to pro players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Magnus Carlsen has a rating of 2880, the best Chess player in the world.

Apart from ITTF rankings, would you like to see ELO-style ratings also recorded for pro tour players? I would love to see this, it gives a fairly objective and formulaic way to see which players are best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
What about ranking points? They work similarly right?
I think it's not the same. If you don't play international tournaments, you won't get ranking points, or if you get easy wins in tournaments you will get ranking points.

But ELO is primarily based on the quality of your opponent. So Kou Lei or Ma Jinbao might have a fairly high ELO, but a low world ranking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think it's not the same. If you don't play international tournaments, you won't get ranking points, or if you get easy wins in tournaments you will get ranking points.

But ELO is primarily based on the quality of your opponent. So Kou Lei or Ma Jinbao might have a fairly high ELO, but a low world ranking.
I think he's being facetious, because the ratings system before the much hated ranking points was basically the ELO ratings system.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Andro Ranking/TTR is more or less ELO and calculated for all players

Bild_2024-02-05_171730854.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
No chance? I don't know.
Problem with this kind of rating is that it is only valid within specific groups: women, men, and so on.
Interesting, according to Andro's ELO rating, LYJ, Felix Lebrun, and Truls are actually the best Non-Chinese in terms of actual ELO rating.

Do they update these ratings after every tournament?

Also interesting that the best player is under 2750. So he is closer to the pack than Magnus is in chess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Also interesting that the best player is under 2750. So he is closer to the pack than Magnus is in chess.
Because he is under 2750? or because the gap between him and the next player is smaller than the gap between Magnus and the next best player?

Magnus achieved that rating in 2014 by the way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
ELO ratings would be nice but I don't think they are that important. At the level you are playing for prize money, not points.
Its just nice to know the true level of the players.

Fzd has more than double the ittf race points then top 10 players, but obviously hes not twice as good.

I think maybe his elo should be 100 pts above LYJ or somebody?

This user has no status.

Fzd has more than double the ittf race points then top 10 players, but obviously hes not twice as good.

Maybe there should be a tracker on the top 10 or 20 or something. Cause people get points for playing a lot and beating people much below them. Everytime a top 20 plays another top 20, there should be points based on that result.

Were they to use an ELO ranking across the world, you would come to strange observations. In Belgium, there are 7 players with more than 2800 ELO points and even two players with more than 2900. Yet you never see them in the ITTF circus.
Belgium_ELO-ranking

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Were they to use an ELO ranking across the world, you would come to strange observations. In Belgium, there are 7 players with more than 2800 ELO points and even two players with more than 2900. Yet you never see them in the ITTF circus.
Belgium_ELO-ranking
There will be initial inaccuracies until people start playing others outside their immediate league or country, The ratings will reach accurate levels with more interaction and plays.

The local club uses Rating Central which is a very good system but!! If it is implemented incorrectly the ratings will be wrong. The person at the local club started every one at 0. This tended to bring everyone's ratings down and the better players couldn;t get any points. My first coach refused to play in any local ratings central tournament because he was from the north east and his rating was more than 400 points more than anyone else with a rating central rating.

The point is that there will be pockets of ratings that are too high or too low as you suggest,

Reactions: Metaxa
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

It depends on how you see it. I'd say he is 7 times as good.

FZD 8 H2H 1 LYJ

The only time LYJ won was when the scoring system was different at T2 Diamond Malaysia 2019 and the Qin Zhijian made it clear they couldn't care less [1, 2].

Jan 2018