Recommend me a super slow control oriented setup , for someone who basically just puts everything back ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
So as of now I am set on ordering applegreen allplay and sweden classic ( would prefer extra but unavailable at tt11 for now) with mark v on both sides on both of them to experiment , would that be good ? any other blade recomendations are welcome .. Lastly not able to decide what thickness to get for mark V 1.5 or 2 , I want it to have enough power for flat drives and flat smashes to finish points..

So as of now I am set on ordering applegreen allplay and sweden classic ( would prefer extra but unavailable at tt11 for now) with mark v on both sides on both of them to experiment , would that be good ? any other blade recomendations are welcome .. Lastly not able to decide what thickness to get for mark V 1.5 or 2 , I want it to have enough power for flat drives and flat smashes to finish points..
My opinion is always use the max thickness for FH. And it depends for BH. At least for anybody who is not a real beginner.

You would need some stiffer blade for power smashing, I'm afraid. Maybe you could pay your attention to Donic Waldner Legend Carbon. Most probably it's the only carbon blade, which is recommended even for beginners. Control is impressive, short game is amazing and it's stiffer than both Appelgren Allplay and Sweden Classic. Please read carefully that linked review, I fully agree with them. My colleague plays it with Andro Hexer Grip SFX, which I would definitely recommend for BH. It's a very spiny combination and very good for a chopper, I believe. I know, it's not a super slow setup, still it's possible to play in a super slow mode. My colleague frequently uses this emergency mode in end-game situations - slow and low BH chops again and again, and we're waiting who makes their fault first. He played some allround wood blade without any carbon experience before. It took only two sessions and now he's much more dangerous than before. He's an active allround player. He's not a chopper. You're a chopper, who would like to actively smash your opponent. That's why I think this beauty could fit you, too. BTW, DWLC belongs into that line... Waldner Senso Carbon [smaller head, weird reactions sometimes, I'd not recommend it] -> Waldner Legend Carbon [could fit to your needs] -> Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed [very fast, thick and not for everybody].

says 40+ age in the 40+ age
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
I won't give you a specific suggestion, but rather an analysis of your current setup.

- The blade: flexy, controllable, can kill speed well and as such is suited for a defensive style.
- Rakza 7 Soft: I found too soft rubbers unpredictable in the past (combined with a flexy blade, I played an Appelgren Allplay). Control in defense (for me) revolves all around having your setup react *exactly* how you expect it to. The flex of the blade, combined with soft rubbers, can lead to a very small line in which a rubber's catapult gets activated or not (so you go from overshooting to dropping the ball in the net).
Also, soft-on-flex then reacts relatively OK up to the point where you start hitting so hard the flex "kicks in". With a soft rubber, this can lead to the rubber bottoming out and the ball basically getting a wood kick -> again, ball goes in a different direction.

If you want to keep with a relatively flexy blade, go for at least a medium hardness, and a linear, non-tensor non-fancy-catapulty rubber. For more speed-killing, take a thinner sponge. More allround play, take a thicker sponge.
Pretty much any rubber will do here, just don't make it too soft.

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
OK, if you’re goal is a defensive style 1.5, if offensive 2.0 an up.

Appelgren all play is a good blade but it vibrates too much for my liking. Again it depends on your target style. If offensive a 5 ply allwood 5.8-6.0mm thick. A Mark V on this one would be plenty slow even a 2.0…

Mark V will pair well with almost any blade.

Cheers
L-zr
So I have a question, why would a 5-ply allwood be more preferable than let's say a 7-ply ( let's say a clipper / samsonov pro which I have lying around from long time back ) for my style ? I understand they might be more powerful but wudny extra thickness help with stability

Don’t overthink it.
No the construction doesn’t matter. As long as it isn’t too fast it’s OK. Avoid blades rated as Off+ and to some extent Off. Don’t forget that the rubber is included in this equation too.

If you play with too fast equipment you will shoot too long, this will make you hesitate and your development will suffer. With experience you will know what you need. I went back to a slow blade with slow rubber to “fix” my FH. I am almost ready now for faster equipment…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Don’t overthink it.
No the construction doesn’t matter. As long as it isn’t too fast it’s OK. Avoid blades rated as Off+ and to some extent Off. Don’t forget that the rubber is included in this equation too.

If you play with too fast equipment you will shoot too long, this will make you hesitate and your development will suffer. With experience you will know what you need. I went back to a slow blade with slow rubber to “fix” my FH. I am almost ready now for faster equipment…

Cheers
L-zr
Fair enough , I had tibhar samsonov black pro and I can only find mark V max thickness here in India so I ordered them to put that on the blade for now , till Sweden extra becomes available on tt11. Should be a good experiment in the meantime playing with mark V till I decide further . Cheers for all the help Lzr

Fair enough , I had tibhar samsonov black pro and I can only find mark V max thickness here in India so I ordered them to put that on the blade for now , till Sweden extra becomes available on tt11. Should be a good experiment in the meantime playing with mark V till I decide further . Cheers for all the help Lzr
Perfect, when you change look at Mark V HPS (too expensive for what it is but it’s a natural step up) and Rakza 7. Rakza has a lot more catapult but it’s a nice stepping stone. My favorite rubber of the ESN category is Tibhar hybrid MK. It’s faster than Rakza but with less catapult…
But for now I am using a Chinese rubber on FH.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Perfect, when you change look at Mark V HPS (too expensive for what it is but it’s a natural step up) and Rakza 7. Rakza has a lot more catapult but it’s a nice stepping stone. My favorite rubber of the ESN category is Tibhar hybrid MK. It’s faster than Rakza but with less catapult…

Cheers
L-zr
I downgraded from rakzs 7 actually, hated it too much catapult . Like I said I started with premade bats like gki euro etc and I used to beat everone but after switch to rakza I lost too much control so mark V made sense. Anyway today was first day with mark V max on tibhar samsonov black pro and it went amazing it was exactly what I was looking for the premade bat kinda feeling with extra spin and power and great control ended up beating everyone I played today . Can't believe I didn't try mark V before . Loved it . Thanks for the amazing suggestion Lazar , I always knew wanted mark V but was sceptical as people were saying it's outdated , turns out it's perfect .

Just need to work on quitting smoking now 😂 but session went amazing felt like I could take anyone on and feeling was just right, if anything I'll put mark V 1.8 thickness ( rather than upgrading to something faster ) on Sweden extra and tibhar stratus power wood on my next tt11 order to experiment a bit more but so far so good. Thanks once again. Now I understand the legend of Mark V and if feel it's a great rubber to train your shots even more and generate more power yourself than depending on rubbers to do that for you.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024

Cheers
L-zr
Although just wondering how is hps iteration different from original mark V ? From what I understand it's got bit more oomph to it but I feel mark V og still might be better for chopping

Although just wondering how is hps iteration different from original mark V ? From what I understand it's got bit more oomph to it but I feel mark V og still might be better for chopping
More modern sponge, Yes agreed the original Mark V is slower, so it should be better for chopping. But if one is progressing toward a faster setup it is a good (but expensive) option.. Next in line would be Rakza 7.

Mark V still has one of the best topsheets ever... Nothing lasts longer...

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
More modern sponge, Yes agreed the original Mark V is slower, so it should be better for chopping. But if one is progressing toward a faster setup it is a good (but expensive) option.. Next in line would be Rakza 7.

Mark V still has one of the best topsheets ever... Nothing lasts longer...

Cheers
L-zr
Friend Lazer,
Since you may be familiar with Mark V, do you also have some experience with Mark V GPS?

Friend Lazer,
Since you may be familiar with Mark V, do you also have some experience with Mark V GPS?
No, that I do not, sorry.

But according to Yasaka it has the same topsheet as Mark V, but is softer and slower. Softer than regular Mark V yes,
but slower than what? regular Mark V? maybe... It doesnt make a lot of sense though......

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Okay so After Playing for a week , it seems like mark v is perfect for me on forehand but as I finish off points with backhand it lacks power , and all my backhand drives seem to be hitting the net . maybe i Need something faster on on backhand or maybe more time to adjust to the new setup.

Also on a side note since my technique especially on forehand is to get everything back with a high loop on the table ( literally everything ) and it works great against most players, but today i played a much higher rated player than me and where normal players would make a mistake on the 5th or 6th smash he wouldnt and now i feel I need to work on my technique too as if I want to grow just getting everything back isnt enough need to be able to learn to crack back on forehand too ( I do that on backhand , not so much on forehand ) .

But anyway , mark V works great for me on foreeand , rakza was too fast but if I can find something with a little more power than mark V on forehand and low throw / arc would be even better and I might go back to rakza 7 soft or something on backhand.

Like I said so far I am happy with the setup , and frankly I also know setup only goes that far I need to keep improving my technique too but I do feel I need a slight more vennom on forehand ( but for now mark v is fine ) and definitely a lot more power in backhand rubber.

My next 2 purchases in terms off blades will be stratus power and sweden extra ( applegreen is an option too but its thinner i think so i prefer the above too ) . And rubbers I am considering are mercury and vega europe ( other recommendations seem to be f729 and coppa ).

For now I will stick to mark V and try improving technique and it seems its a good rubber to learn to generate more power myself but sooner or later I will change the rubber on my backhand, either way recommendations are welcome.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
But anyway , mark V works great for me on foreeand , rakza was too fast but if I can find something with a little more power than mark V on forehand and low throw / arc would be even better and I might go back to rakza 7 soft or something on backhand.

Check out the Nittaku Factive, IMO it is a good upgrade to classic style rubbers like Mark V without fully stepping into the range of rubbers like Rakza 7