Reducing flare in handle

Thanks for the input Andre, yeah i'm just gonna deal with it for now. I literally just got the blade less than a month ago need to give myself more time to get used to the handle. Its not terribly thin its just ever so slightly "meh" wishing I had a thicker handle. But i know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Just my OCD getting the best of me. thanks again.
Blade wood is really soft , so sand paper of different grit works a treat, slower than a Dremel of course but at least it’s a gradual and safe way to take away material. I have a Dremel and opted to manually sand it as I didn’t want to accidentally shave off a chunk of wood.I would just be careful sanding blades with carbon fibre or similar, as you don’t want to inhale particles of that stuff.

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Sounds wise! I have to say though that having rounded the handle of my Yasaka (which I only use for tests) gave it a completely different and much much nicer feel when holding. I didn’t expect it. Recently I got a new bat just because I always wanted it (a Darker Hinoki) and the first thing I did was to round the wings and soften all the harder corners (not much to do on a Darker though). You cannot go wrong is you use fine sandpaper as it’s a slow process. I guess it can only go wrong if you get carried away!

True. Yeah, I'm liking the ROSEWOOD VII more and more each time I play so it's becoming less of an issue now. I have so many blades I need to re-sell. 2 VICTAS ZX GEAR IN blades flared practically brand new. A KOKI NIWA Blade WOOD version in flared and I May keep my Quartet AFC just to have a composite blade in my stable. Which Darker blade did you get? the SPEED 90? That one is high on my list to try next.
Sounds wise! I have to say though that having rounded the handle of my Yasaka (which I only use for tests) gave it a completely different and much much nicer feel when holding. I didn’t expect it. Recently I got a new bat just because I always wanted it (a Darker Hinoki) and the first thing I did was to round the wings and soften all the harder corners (not much to do on a Darker though). You cannot go wrong is you use fine sandpaper as it’s a slow process. I guess it can only go wrong if you get carried away!

Apr 2019
A humble 7p 2a. I don’t want to have a particularly fast blade, I’m just interested in the feel right now, and looking for a keeper. I tried a Hinoki blade of a friend with T05 and I absolutely loved it. First time a setup really felt special. No idea if it was the Hinoki, the t05 (which was also really old and dead).
I have not even put rubbers on my p7 yet, I’ve been looking at it for the last 2 weeks as I can’t decide if I want to break the bank and go t05 or be a bit less stupid and get something that will cost me half. If you want to sell a blade, then perhaps sanding it down is not such a good idea.. although if it’s a nicely done job that took time and skills, it should add value.. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Reactions: thomas.pong
I agree. If I were you I'd just go for the T05 and call it a day. If you try something different to save a few bucks you may not be satisfied and the thought of getting the 05 will always be in your head which you will eventually end up getting spending even more money, a mistake i've made many times. If a particular setup feels great the first time then get the same setup, then maybe down the line change the rubber when the o5 wears out. Just my opinion. Oh and I was talking about sanding my Stiga blade. I wouldn't modify any gear if I had plans to resell. Thanks again for the input. 7p 2a is a GREAT blade. A club member has one and when I tried it it was such a joy to hit with. Power and Control were pretty equal which is quite rare in a blade. NOt to mention the feeling was sublime. Enjoy your DARKER !
A humble 7p 2a. I don’t want to have a particularly fast blade, I’m just interested in the feel right now, and looking for a keeper. I tried a Hinoki blade of a friend with T05 and I absolutely loved it. First time a setup really felt special. No idea if it was the Hinoki, the t05 (which was also really old and dead).
I have not even put rubbers on my p7 yet, I’ve been looking at it for the last 2 weeks as I can’t decide if I want to break the bank and go t05 or be a bit less stupid and get something that will cost me half. If you want to sell a blade, then perhaps sanding it down is not such a good idea.. although if it’s a nicely done job that took time and skills, it should add value.. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

BTW, I have a very lightly used DIGNICS 05 in Black 2.1mm sponge if you're interested PM me and we can work something out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
True. Yeah, I'm liking the ROSEWOOD VII more and more each time I play so it's becoming less of an issue now. I have so many blades I need to re-sell. 2 VICTAS ZX GEAR IN blades flared practically brand new. A KOKI NIWA Blade WOOD version in flared and I May keep my Quartet AFC just to have a composite blade in my stable. Which Darker blade did you get? the SPEED 90? That one is high on my list to try next.

Do you know the composition of the ZX IN? Why are you get rid of them? Better yet, why do you have two lol?

Hey Silver Server, I don't know the composition of the wood, maybe someone else can chime in on that, but according to VICTAS the carbon fiber they use is Zexion which, according to KBSeiren (who manufactures the carbon fiber) is a "PolyArylate fiber with superb tensile strength and elasticity, by using its original technology" So I'm guessing it's a mixture of Arylate type carbon fibers. I don't know too much about that technology so I can't comment more about it. But the Gear IN blade definitely doesn't feel like a VIscaria which has Arylate Carbon as well. I've read the ZX-Gear IN is similar to the BTY Innerforce ALC due to the placement of the carbon. But I never had an Innerforce so I can't say much else on that. I got 2 blades because I love the feel and control I get with this particular blade. 1 online vendor was out of stock when I first ordered it and instead of a refund I immediately ordered one from a different vendor who had it in my desired weight. And sooner than expected the 1st vendor re-stocked and shipped it right away. Since I loved it so much I decided to keep both, one for backup. Mind you, I'm an EJ so..... Now I'm back to using 7 ply all wood! Which I prefer for my style and skill level at the moment. So the ZX blades are collecting dust. And I'm thinking of selling them because they aren't being used. Such a waste they are beautiful finely crafted blades. Made in japan too. So the craftsmanship is high quality. Hope I answered your questions.

Do you know the composition of the ZX IN? Why are you get rid of them? Better yet, why do you have two lol?

Last edited: