Reverse dome on rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Why does this happen?

I have seen this happen in some rubbers, namely boosted rubbers that i peel off the racket after some time. It's understandable because the sponge expanded and then returned to it's original size. But i have a Nittaku G1 that came with significant reverse dome out of the package, and it's gotten worse after a while. I have never boosted the rubber, it's so curled inwards that makes it very hard to glue.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Tensor = A thing that tenses up. Proof that you got the real deal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Tensor = A thing that tenses up. Proof that you got the real deal.

The purpose of tensors is to mimic speedglue effect, so i always assumed they stretched the topsheet in order to create tension when flattening the rubber. If the the rubber is curling inwards it means that when the rubber is glued it will compress the topsheet, this is the opposite of tension. Also, i can't explain why the reverse dome has increased other than shrinkage of the sponge, but the size of the rubber is the same.

Jan 2018
That's exactly how the very 1st generation of Tensor behaved, around the year 2000. They came out of the package with a reverse dome. The "technology" involved was very primitive. They just stretched the sponge before gluing the topsheet onto it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
That's exactly how the very 1st generation of Tensor behaved, around the year 2000. They came out of the package with a reverse dome. The "technology" involved was very primitive. They just stretched the sponge before gluing the topsheet onto it.

Then it should be called "Compressor". I love the rubber, and i suspect that part of it's charm is because of this behavior, it's just very annoying to glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I have had this problem before with some new rubbers. I think it is because the rubber has set on the shelf for along time not being sold and maybe in to hot of a area. Rubber and the sponge is made from an oil byproduct so when the oil evaporates for some reason as I mentioned you get that effect. My 2 cents on this.