Sealing in blades

This user has no status.
Hello. I am trying to produce a blade similar to dhs fang bo. Fist of all, should I use a sealer to protect the blade? My intent is to make it similar to the DHS blades, but I don't know if they already come sealed. I will also stain the handle, so does it need sealer to keep the stain on it? I am afraid that the sealer will make the blade shiny, which I don't want.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Most commercial blades typically come without any sort of finishing. I would seal the blade surface with a thin layer of polyurethane. Thin as in the type that is like Minwax Wipe-On Poly(make sure it's not the water based version) and for the handle I would use something like Watco Danish Oil which retains the wood texture.

Hey, sorry to answer, but add a question to everyone else, can i use just a wood varnish to seal the blade, will it make it very smooth and remove the woody feel from the blade?
I use linseed oil on the handle and any old varnish on the rest. It works excellent.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: PaddyPolar
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Don't seal the blade, they loose feeling and slip when your hands sweat.
There is the blade and there is a handle, same like with a knife, a blade and a handle.
I have done dozens of blades using water-based polyurethane and when rubbed on very sparingly, 1 or 2 coats , one does not loose feel and the surface does not harden up. I never cover the handles. After sealing I very carefully sand the surfaces with about 280grit paper using a flat block and making sure i do not round the edges.
Remember why we seal the blades, so that when we pull the rubbers off we wont have half the wood of the top-veneer still on the glue and rubber. 🤣

Don't buy a spray can and cover the blade till you can mirror you face in the darn thing

Last edited: