Long 5 vs Long 5x

This user has no status.
Hello all,

I have 2 DHS rubbers that I want to put on a Long 5 blade - DHS neo provincial blue and hurricane 8 mid. I've been wanting to use it on the Long 5 but am considering using the Long 5X instead. I understand the difference between the two blades (e.g increase and speed and less vibration with the 5X) so I'm just wondering which one might be better suited for the rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello all,

I have 2 DHS rubbers that I want to put on a Long 5 blade - DHS neo provincial blue and hurricane 8 mid. I've been wanting to use it on the Long 5 but am considering using the Long 5X instead. I understand the difference between the two blades (e.g increase and speed and less vibration with the 5X) so I'm just wondering which one might be better suited for the rubbers.

The more important question is what is your play style?

Long 5 has a few versions. The oldest L5 has a high level of flex. The newer L5 has a more crisp feel.

L5X is basically a bit more crisp than the new L5.

This user has no status.
The more important question is what is your play style?

Long 5 has a few versions. The oldest L5 has a high level of flex. The newer L5 has a more crisp feel.

L5X is basically a bit more crisp than the new L5.
My playstyle is quite aggressive where I try to topspin as much as possible from mid table distance. I have more direct shots that I can pull off which have less topspin and are instead focused more on speed and just getting the ball past the opponent. I also try to flick and loop wherever I can but if needed I can defend as well if the situation comes to it although I would prefer not too.

Anyone managed to play with the following DHS Long 5 version?
  1. DHS Long 5 (red data card, before Year 2022)
  2. DHS Long 5 (white data card, Year 2022 onwards)
  3. DHS Long 5X (white data card)
  4. DHS W986 (Provincial or National)
Is the newer DHS Long 5 (white data card) harder and stiffer than older DHS Long 5 (red data card)?

I know that W968 is definitely of better quality, harder and stiffer than Long 5 and Long 5X. Is Long 5 or Long 5X more similar to W968 in terms of playing characteristics?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Anyone managed to play with the following DHS Long 5 version?
  1. DHS Long 5 (red data card, before Year 2022)
  2. DHS Long 5 (white data card, Year 2022 onwards)
  3. DHS Long 5X (white data card)
  4. DHS W986 (Provincial or National)
Is the newer DHS Long 5 (white data card) harder and stiffer than older DHS Long 5 (red data card)?

I know that W968 is definitely of better quality, harder and stiffer than Long 5 and Long 5X. Is Long 5 or Long 5X more similar to W968 in terms of playing characteristics?
I have all the blades listed, old Long 5, new Long 5, Long 5x, provincial W968 and national W968. I can only comment on the old Long 5 and the national W968, however, as I've only tried the Long 5x for a short time, the new Long 5 for a few practices, and I've yet to glue anything to the provincial W968. I don't like making snap judgments on TT equipment, and I'm over EJ'ing so not terribly interested in trying things out.

I played about 3 months with the old Long 5 before switching for 6 months (and going) to the national W968. Both had D09c on both sides. I tried T05, T05FX, D05, and H8-80 on those blades, but D09c felt the best for my game. For comparison I also used TB ALC for a couple years and Viscaria for a few sessions (felt pretty similar to the TB ALC).

My feeling on those 2 blades is that they're vastly different. The old Long 5 plays like a fast wood blade with a bigger sweet spot. I don't know if I'd even say it's a good transition from wood to carbon because how much it felt like a wood blade. It took me very little time to adjust from my previous blade, the Yasaka Sweden Extra, to the old Long 5. You really need to put some effort into every shot, close to the table or far, to generate pace. It's extremely flexible, the hold on the ball is exceptional, but that also makes quality quick counters near the table difficult. It's damn near impossible to make very high quality quick counters on the BH side due to the power required, you just don't have the time for the back swing needed.

The W968 plays very much like a carbon blade. It's much more crisp close to the table. It's still far less crisp than say a Viscaria, and good technique is required to generate high quality with quick counters, especially on the BH side, but it's very doable. When you step away the table and make a big swing however, it can get still get pretty whippy, with a loud wooden crackle. My practice partner actually thought the ball broke when we practiced counter-looping the first time. To hear that pleasing crackle (and thus access its remarkable flex for its speed) however, is difficult as it requires a very hard hit. I can do that on the FH side fairly frequently on opportunity balls and in countering, but I'm struggling to do that against opportunity balls on the BH side even in basic practice when I know what ball is coming where and I'm doing the same shot over and over again hundreds of times in a row.

The new Long 5 feels a lot more like the W968, I did have the same rubbers glued to it and have tried it out a few times in practice against a robot, though I've only had one actual play session with it. I've played too little with the Long 5x to make any sort of comment, and as mentioned before I've yet to use the provincial W968. I think have the new Long 5 in both CPen and SH (forgot if the CPen one was the new one), and I'm gonna glue up D09c's to them and have a RPB clubmate try it out, so I can probably play a bit with it again to get some fresh impressions soon.

I have all the blades listed, old Long 5, new Long 5, Long 5x, provincial W968 and national W968. I can only comment on the old Long 5 and the national W968, however, as I've only tried the Long 5x for a short time, the new Long 5 for a few practices, and I've yet to glue anything to the provincial W968. I don't like making snap judgments on TT equipment, and I'm over EJ'ing so not terribly interested in trying things out.

I played about 3 months with the old Long 5 before switching for 6 months (and going) to the national W968. Both had D09c on both sides. I tried T05, T05FX, D05, and H8-80 on those blades, but D09c felt the best for my game. For comparison I also used TB ALC for a couple years and Viscaria for a few sessions (felt pretty similar to the TB ALC).

My feeling on those 2 blades is that they're vastly different. The old Long 5 plays like a fast wood blade with a bigger sweet spot. I don't know if I'd even say it's a good transition from wood to carbon because how much it felt like a wood blade. It took me very little time to adjust from my previous blade, the Yasaka Sweden Extra, to the old Long 5. You really need to put some effort into every shot, close to the table or far, to generate pace. It's extremely flexible, the hold on the ball is exceptional, but that also makes quality quick counters near the table difficult. It's damn near impossible to make very high quality quick counters on the BH side due to the power required, you just don't have the time for the back swing needed.

The W968 plays very much like a carbon blade. It's much more crisp close to the table. It's still far less crisp than say a Viscaria, and good technique is required to generate high quality with quick counters, especially on the BH side, but it's very doable. When you step away the table and make a big swing however, it can get still get pretty whippy, with a loud wooden crackle. My practice partner actually thought the ball broke when we practiced counter-looping the first time. To hear that pleasing crackle (and thus access its remarkable flex for its speed) however, is difficult as it requires a very hard hit. I can do that on the FH side fairly frequently on opportunity balls and in countering, but I'm struggling to do that against opportunity balls on the BH side even in basic practice when I know what ball is coming where and I'm doing the same shot over and over again hundreds of times in a row.

The new Long 5 feels a lot more like the W968, I did have the same rubbers glued to it and have tried it out a few times in practice against a robot, though I've only had one actual play session with it. I've played too little with the Long 5x to make any sort of comment, and as mentioned before I've yet to use the provincial W968. I think have the new Long 5 in both CPen and SH (forgot if the CPen one was the new one), and I'm gonna glue up D09c's to them and have a RPB clubmate try it out, so I can probably play a bit with it again to get some fresh impressions soon.
Thanks and appreciated for the detailed explanation.

I only played with the old Long 5 previously before the blade got severe wood splinters. I am considering to buy either the new Long 5 or Long 5X. I do not consider both Provincial and National W968 since both are much more expensive (at least 2 to 5 times more expensive as compared to Long 5/Long 5X) and I feel I am unable to capitalize the blade's full potential. I read that new Long 5 has a thicker carbon as compared to old Long 5. A number of players commented that Long 5X played a bit similar to an outer carbon blade e.g. Viscaria but the speed is still slightly slower than Viscaria. They also commented that Long 5X is quite similar to another DHS blade, DHS Hurricane Sha/Sun Yingsha.

I may go for new Long 5 since you mentioned that new Long 5 feels a lot more like W968.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanks and appreciated for the detailed explanation.

I only played with the old Long 5 previously before the blade got severe wood splinters. I am considering to buy either the new Long 5 or Long 5X. I do not consider both Provincial and National W968 since both are much more expensive (at least 2 to 5 times more expensive as compared to Long 5/Long 5X) and I feel I am unable to capitalize the blade's full potential. I read that new Long 5 has a thicker carbon as compared to old Long 5. A number of players commented that Long 5X played a bit similar to an outer carbon blade e.g. Viscaria but the speed is still slightly slower than Viscaria. They also commented that Long 5X is quite similar to another DHS blade, DHS Hurricane Sha/Sun Yingsha.

I may go for new Long 5 since you mentioned that new Long 5 feels a lot more like W968.
It's not really thicker carbon, it's that the old one has carbon fibers in one direction (horizontal) while arylate fibers in the other direction (vertical), whereas the new Long 5 and W968 have carbon and arylate running in both directions like most other carbon blades. The Long 5x has a noticeably thicker core and thinner outer layers, so I can imagine it playing more like an outer carbon blade. I really didn't play with it long enough to say though.

Reactions: Renol
It's not really thicker carbon, it's that the old one has carbon fibers in one direction (horizontal) while arylate fibers in the other direction (vertical), whereas the new Long 5 and W968 have carbon and arylate running in both directions like most other carbon blades. The Long 5x has a noticeably thicker core and thinner outer layers, so I can imagine it playing more like an outer carbon blade. I really didn't play with it long enough to say though.
Thanks for the correction. My initial meaning was probably "more composition" of the carbon layer and not about the thickness when I said thicker carbon.