• Shakehand Team - Zhang Jike, Ma Long and Timo Boll

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
The doubles match should have been:
Xu Xin Ma Lin vs Timo Boll Ma Long

That would have been spectacular, esp. with Xu Xin's trick shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think Ryu was pretty good, in the doubles he was maybe better than Ma Lin. He should have beaten Ma Long though :p 9-6 and missing an easy shot haha. But they all had a great time and I think the spectators as well :) Nice event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Too bad Timo arrived one hour before the match, would have been much more interesting with him in good shape.
Great event nevertheless, I love to see those players having fun together! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I think Ryu was pretty good, in the doubles he was maybe better than Ma Lin. He should have beaten Ma Long though :p 9-6 and missing an easy shot haha. But they all had a great time and I think the spectators as well :) Nice event.

wait really? at least from the video i was watching, Ma Lin was the one who did all the hard parts of the points, and it was his touch that kept them in the points that they ended up winning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Well from the highlights it is hard to judge of course. But I thought Ryu played pretty good, made some nice points and I saw some errors from Ma. Also he almost won against Ma Long. I was just responding to the people that said they wanted Xu Xin on the team ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Anyways - here is what I spotted:
Most non asian shakehanders have real problems to beat penholders..
From this stage penholding style when mastered seems to be much better..
But - as I told my girlfriend - only way that Timo can win world title is, that Ma Long beats Wang Hao in semis, because Timo is not used for Haos penholding style.. Frankly, the spin and game is different.. Penholder has no problem to play shakehander, because there are mostly shakehanders.. But unless you are from China, you hardly meet penholder..
So I think - year in China´s superleague for top Europe players would make shakehand style equal to penhold..
But till then penhold is more effective..
Better? None is better..
You can see - Zhang beat Hao .. He can beat Ma Lin ..
Timo cant.. because they are penholders.. They are not really better.. Just Timo is not enough comfortable to their style..

For Example .. not sure where,.. but I saw Wang Hao vs. Jean Michel Saive..
Saive lost 4:0 .. but.. it was 3:0 and not sure for points in fourth.. but Saive had one problem everytime he served..
Wang Hao played his reverse backhand spin and he NEVER put it back deep enough .. when he even put it on the table..
Then he resignated and served into Haos backhand .. expecting that spin .. and decided to just smash it..
That smash landed on table and the crowd (it was in Belgium) went crazy, hehe..
Was nice.. but it was just what I am talking about.. Europe shakehanders are NOT USED TO PENHOLDING STYLE.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Indeed, like you say,Timo isn't used to Penholders because in Europe there aren't many, except the Asian Penholders who play in Europe ;)
Of course, playing in the Chinese Superleague would help the European players to developp their game and improve. It's a good thing that Timo plays in these league. It will surely help him a lot! After being there, you get more and more used to Penholders because there are more of them.
That's one advantage for the chinese penholders, the european shakehanders have a lots of problems against them because it is completely different (spin, strokes, ...)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I think you are correct to some extent. That part of the reason why penholders do so well against Europeans is because they aren't used to playing them. But in another respect, they do badly simply because penholders are the masters of the short game. And when you control the short game, you control who attacks first. It's why Ma Long loses to Wang Hao, while Ma Lin doesn't. Ma Long's short game isn't up to par with the penholders therefore because he can't attack first, he has to react to Wang Hao's first loop, which more often than not, is too high quality even for Ma Long's counter looping style of play.

Boll has played penholders plenty of times in the past, not only has he played in the super league in previous years, but there are players like Wang Jianjun who play in the Euro leagues. Wang Jianjun even played either on the same team as Boll or practices in the same gym with him often, because I have seen several videos of them in the same gym. So I don't think its necessarily so much that Boll isn't used to penhold, but just that, his short game, is even worse than Ma Longs.